Handlebar ID?

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Handlebar ID?

Post by RUBONE »

Those are '54 up bars. None of the Hummer spiral parts you show will work with those bars, the type you need are totally different. The Hummer spirals only fit the 49-53 type bars. You need regular big twin parts. If you need a pull throttle you can use a spiral from the early 70s as used on a Bendix carb, or the spiral from a late type Servi-Car with left hand throttle. The holes on the right are for a starter button and turn signal switch.
All the info is in the parts book in the documentation section and in the knowledge base.
47str8leg
Bikes: 41 knucklehead
57 Panhead
63 Pan
94 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by 47str8leg »

After looking at parts books I don’t believe these are HD bars. HD bars have slots at the end of the bars for the spirals . These don’t.
Flanders maybe ??? Other pictures on the net look close , with the hump in the middle of the bars , but not exact or the spirals are on and the spiral holes can’t be seen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

47str8leg wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:37 am After looking at parts books I don’t believe these are HD bars. HD bars have slots at the end of the bars for the spirals . These don’t.
Flanders maybe ??? Other pictures on the net look close , with the hump in the middle of the bars , but not exact or the spirals are on and the spiral holes can’t be seen.
The only bars with "slots" are 49-53 Big Twin, early K Model, and 125/165 lightweights. As stated the bars you picture are late '50s type using the '54 up type controls. They are factory bars. You aren't reading what is in that parts book, merely looking at the pictures....
47str8leg
57 Panhead
63 Pan
94 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by 47str8leg »

Well... I care to challenge that assessment .
Even if it is a week later , lol !
According to my 57 spare parts manual it says otherwise....
However, I have found out the parts manual is wrong on that account and you are indeed correct.
My new question is, can I just get two left hand spirals to use with an S&S carb or is there some unseen snafu with using a left spiral in the right grip to use as a pull ?

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

47str8leg wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:15 am Well... I care to challenge that assessment .
Even if it is a week later , lol !
According to my 57 spare parts manual it says otherwise....
However, I have found out the parts manual is wrong on that account and you are indeed correct.
My new question is, can I just get two left hand spirals to use with an S&S carb or is there some unseen snafu with using a left spiral in the right grip to use as a pull ?

Tim
You need a left hand spiral in the right side only to pull. The left side needs to be a right hand throttle type. I know it sounds confusing but both spirals rotate in, therefore when regular right side spirals are used the right hand pushes the cable out and when installed on the left pulls it in due to the rotation. If you put left hand throttle types on both your timer will work backwards. So you will be using mismatched spirals. Looking into the open end of them the spiral will corkscrew in opposite directions.
Clear as mud, right!
47str8leg
57 Panhead
63 Pan
94 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by 47str8leg »

Ok. So what you are telling me was that on those era bikes both left and right spirals were push only.
On the left side , when the hand grip was twisted toward the rider , it pushed the timer to retard it for starting.
On the right side it was the same because the linkert carb was pushed .
That is why the left hand grip, though reversed to the right side still won’t work as a “pull” for an S&S carb.
You still need the 70 and up twist grip for that.
Am I on board here ?
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

47str8leg wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:19 pm Ok. So what you are telling me was that on those era bikes both left and right spirals were push only.
On the left side , when the hand grip was twisted toward the rider , it pushed the timer to retard it for starting.
On the right side it was the same because the linkert carb was pushed .
That is why the left hand grip, though reversed to the right side still won’t work as a “pull” for an S&S carb.
You still need the 70 and up twist grip for that.
Am I on board here ?
Mostly, just that they don't both push. The right pushes, the left pulls due to the rotation being reversed from right side to left side. If you put the left on the right, then it will push as well. That is why you need the reverse twist spiral specifically made to pull on the right.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”