Handlebar ID?

George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Handlebar ID?

Post by George Greer »

Can I get some help with the ID of this set of handlebars, with the internal spirals?

They are straight, and only have the marking HY-3 stamped on them.

In the first photo, the spiral appears to be spot welded in place... 3 equal spots, is that normal?

I looked at the parts manuals I have, and nothing looks the same as far as the parts breakdown.

And, is is possible after ID of them to get the pages in the correct manual for them?

Thanks

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: Handlebar ID?

Post by Hauula Pan »

Not positive but look like 1949, but the 2nd picture of the inside looks a lot like the replica spirals from V-Twin. Hopefully someone else can tell if they're OEM or not.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Those control parts look stock but the bars are not H-D. They look like Hellings or possible Flanders. both companies made replacement bars with custom bends from the late '40s through the '60s.
Robbie
rmcrh
Bikes: 86 FXRP Sidecar
76 BMW R90S
65 HD FLH
49 Whizzer
48 Chief Goulding Rocket Sidecar
46 HD UL
32 HD V

Post by rmcrh »

49-50 H D is what I believe
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

49-50 H D is what I believe
Totally wrong bend, far too narrow in the midsection.
These are stock '49 H-D bars on this riser set. Compare the shape!
Robbie
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

And here is the real proof!
George, see the model numbers on the left!
Robbie
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Robbie,

After seeing that I tend to agree with you.

But, under the HY3 description, it says "fully fittled for regular HD spark and throttle controls". The bars do not have anything other than the sprials just stuck on.

Would you happen to have a parts break down with numbers for them?

Or, have you seen these, and with what combination of parts could I mix and match to be able to use them?

Thanks a lot, For the ID of the bars!

George
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

George,
Those grip sleeves are the spirals! They appear to have the parts inside. Slide one on and turn it, see if the inner part falls out!
And the description of the bars merely means they have the ends for factory controls, which yours do. If you read the description of the HY4 you see it lists just an advance side fitting. That was to allow an "English " style quick throttle on the right. Any '49 to '52 control parts fit them. I can't get to a parts book at the moment so you will have to look in the knowledge base in the '54 parts book under handlebars and there are the parts!
Robbie
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Robbie,

Would this be a rebuild kit that would work?

http://www.debrix.com/Push-Throttle-Spi ... 497-vt.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again

George
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Robbie,

I looked at the sprials, they appear to be spot welded in three equal places..and ain't gonna budge.

I will try to take a decent photo, and post it.

George
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

George,
It appears all you need are the inner sleeves. They were likely left connected to the cables and are now gone. The kit you showed has all the pieces. whether they fit or not is a crap shoot with repop stuff.
With what you have this is all you need. Tom's NOS has them, I'm sure others as well.
Robbie
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

As I said in my posted reply, the 1st one you got, They look like after market 1949, which has now been shown to be correct. The spiral sleeves may be OEM and may be replicas, it doesn't matter they're the same. All you need are the inners as was also shown in the rebuild kit that was posted which is the same as I posted that V-Twin sells. Everything you need is readily available through many venders. If you want OEM you'll have to go to Old Dude in Florida like I said earlier or NOS Parts as was suggested in a later post, if you don't mind reproduction then the rebuild kit posted or V-Twin has everything. All the parts are shown in their catalog if you don't have a Harley Parts Book. But if you are going to be going through the entire bike you are going to need a parts book so you may as well get one now. To answer your question about the 3 spot welds - Yes that is how they are made. The Inner Spiral is spot welded to the sleeve and the slug that's attached to the push pull wire has a tab on its side that follows the spiral cut to move the wire back & forth. (When I wanted to modify my spirals to pull instead of push because I was running an S&S carb. I drilled the welds out, removed the inner spiral & had a machinist friend cut me one with a reverse spiral, which I then re-spot welded into the sleeve.) Of course when I put the stock Linkert back on I had to change it all back. Look through the knowledge base & some previous posts & there are pictures of the spirals, sleeves, cables & wires. You just need to take some time to browse the site. I know you're new & it may take you some time to learn where things are & how to locate them, but most of the info. you're looking for is there. If there is a bike shop near you, (Not a Harley Dealership) but a private shop that works on older Harleys & sells aftermarket parts from the various venders they'll have all the books and catalogs you'll need & can probably provide some good info. too. From the sounds of a few of your posts you are missing quite a lot of parts so its going to be helpful to get a good parts book & I suggest you pick up a copy of, "Palmers How to restore your Harley-Davidson" It is a must.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

As I said in my posted reply, the 1st one you got, They look like after market 1949, which has now been shown to be correct. The spiral sleeves may be OEM and may be replicas, it doesn't matter they're the same. All you need are the inners as was also shown in the rebuild kit that was posted which is the same as I posted that V-Twin sells. Everything you need is readily available through many venders. If you want OEM you'll have to go to Old Dude in Florida like I said earlier or NOS Parts as was suggested in a later post, if you don't mind reproduction then the rebuild kit posted or V-Twin has everything. All the parts are shown in their catalog if you don't have a Harley Parts Book. But if you are going to be going through the entire bike you are going to need a parts book so you may as well get one now. To answer your question about the 3 spot welds - Yes that is how they are made. The Inner Spiral is spot welded to the sleeve and the slug that's attached to the push pull wire has a tab on its side that follows the spiral cut to move the wire back & forth. (When I wanted to modify my spirals to pull instead of push because I was running an S&S carb. I drilled the welds out, removed the inner spiral & had a machinist friend cut me one with a reverse spiral, which I then re-spot welded into the sleeve.) Of course when I put the stock Linkert back on I had to change it all back. Look through the knowledge base & some previous posts & there are pictures of the spirals, sleeves, cables & wires. You just need to take some time to browse the site. I know you're new & it may take you some time to learn where things are & how to locate them, but most of the info. you're looking for is there. If there is a bike shop near you, (Not a Harley Dealership) but a private shop that works on older Harleys & sells aftermarket parts from the various venders they'll have all the books and catalogs you'll need & can probably provide some good info. too. From the sounds of a few of your posts you are missing quite a lot of parts so its going to be helpful to get a good parts book & I suggest you pick up a copy of, "Palmers How to restore your Harley-Davidson" It is a must.
Awful lot of work to go through. A stock H-D 125/165 grip sleeve is reverse cut from the factory, they pull, don't push! File that away for next time.
Robbie
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

RUBONE wrote:A stock H-D 125/165 grip sleeve is reverse cut from the factory, they pull, don't push! File that away for next time. Robbie
yep, my '49 FL and my '49 Model S (125cc) are exactly bass-ackwards. The quick solution to reversing the push-pull if you install a carb that requires a "pull" is to find the spiral guts from a Harley lightweight of that era. And don't forget the closed-end waffle grips that went on the sleeves.

mike
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Hauula Pan wrote:As I said in my posted reply, the 1st one you got, They look like after market 1949, which has now been shown to be correct. The spiral sleeves may be OEM and may be replicas, it doesn't matter they're the same. All you need are the inners as was also shown in the rebuild kit that was posted which is the same as I posted that V-Twin sells. Everything you need is readily available through many venders. If you want OEM you'll have to go to Old Dude in Florida like I said earlier or NOS Parts as was suggested in a later post, if you don't mind reproduction then the rebuild kit posted or V-Twin has everything. All the parts are shown in their catalog if you don't have a Harley Parts Book. But if you are going to be going through the entire bike you are going to need a parts book so you may as well get one now. To answer your question about the 3 spot welds - Yes that is how they are made. The Inner Spiral is spot welded to the sleeve and the slug that's attached to the push pull wire has a tab on its side that follows the spiral cut to move the wire back & forth. (When I wanted to modify my spirals to pull instead of push because I was running an S&S carb. I drilled the welds out, removed the inner spiral & had a machinist friend cut me one with a reverse spiral, which I then re-spot welded into the sleeve.) Of course when I put the stock Linkert back on I had to change it all back. Look through the knowledge base & some previous posts & there are pictures of the spirals, sleeves, cables & wires. You just need to take some time to browse the site. I know you're new & it may take you some time to learn where things are & how to locate them, but most of the info. you're looking for is there. If there is a bike shop near you, (Not a Harley Dealership) but a private shop that works on older Harleys & sells aftermarket parts from the various venders they'll have all the books and catalogs you'll need & can probably provide some good info. too. From the sounds of a few of your posts you are missing quite a lot of parts so its going to be helpful to get a good parts book & I suggest you pick up a copy of, "Palmers How to restore your Harley-Davidson" It is a must.
Hauula Pan,

Thank you for the info on the sprials being welded, and for the admonishment to check prior posts, and get proper manuals and Palmers book.

I do have parts books and maintenance manuals, as well as Mr Palmers books,

I just don't have a lot of old parts books/info for aftermarket parts, And asking here quickly pointed me in the right direction, thanks to you and Robbie. And yes, I did browse here for info and photos.

Shops...one that I know of in down by Munich...ain't happenng. W&W Cycles is in Würzburg, and they are closed by the time I get home.

I have collected the majority of parts necessary to make a "rolling chassis" when I get home to the US in a couple of weeks. Except for the engine which is here in Germany with me. And will be taking photos and posting them in my post in projects.

I had to break up the run-on post, to make it easy to read.

George

PS, Old Dude is in Lilburn Georgia, not Florida... Close to where I was born and raised... and since I will be home on the 17th... I will be paying them a personal visit.
Last edited by George Greer on Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”