DR vin #

VIN Identification
Morgan
Bikes: Harley FL

DR vin #

Post by Morgan »

Can someone give me some education on this ebay engine? Seller says it's a dealer stamped number. This is a new one to me.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: DR vin #

Post by RUBONE »

DR VINs are California assigned numbers, nothing to do with H-D. Lots of ex CHP bikes as well as theft recoveries, home built, etc are stamped as such. Questionable in many states so beware if traveling and make sure all your documentation is ironclad!
Robbie
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thanks Robbie. Good to know. Like I said, it's a new one to me.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

What's missing: how do you know exactly who stamped that number?
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

He has more of the "Dog" listed on ebay. (Front-end, Shifter, ratty tank, etc.)

I'm curious what someone will pay for the POS (my opinion). If the other work on the engine matches the head repair, it's Scrap. '38 or '53 or Yea, it looks "rare" to me.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Morgan, welcome to the forum. In 2007 on the old HTT forum I participated in a thread in which the subject of DRF (Department Registry File) numbers was raised. One forum member said that in the 1950s and 60s the LAPD would have the State issue a DRF number for the frame of a police bike. That way when it came in for an engine overhaul they would take a rebuilt engine off the bench, swap it into the chassis and have the machine out the door the same day. However, if the bike was later auctioned there could possibly be a problem for the buyer after he hit the road because if the street cops found DRF numbers on the frame the owner would usually be delayed while the officers ran a check.

I asked said member why there would be a problem, thinking that the current engine serial number would also be on the paperwork supplied when the bike was purchased at auction. The reply was that at that time the DRF number (on the frame) was the only number on the paperwork.

But I have also heard of some DRF numbers being applied to engines and I’ve posted an example below although I do not know if it’s authentic:

What intrigues me about the eBay engine is that the F is covered, if indeed there’s an F present. I wonder if the seller thinks DR means Dealer Replacement? And if the next character is an F then maybe the seller doesn’t realise it’s part of the State-assigned ID, assuming of course that it’s an authentic number. The other odd thing is that the seller says he had the numbers run when he got it ten years ago and he had no problems. But if he had the numbers run—and if there’s an F after the R—then why doesn’t he know it’s a DRF number and not a number stamped by a dealer?

I guess the only way to find out would be to get it inspected by the DMV.
Eric
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

$3650 and the reserve not met?What a hunk of junk.Nice heads too. :)
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thank you Eric, for the welcome and the information. You make some good points. Personally, I'd run away from this thing and consider myself lucky.

Return to “VIN”