New internal throttle control

Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

New internal throttle control

Post by Mr Mach1 »

I'm puttn the bars on my 49 and I want to use the the new internal spirals like the ones sold by VTwin and a couple others. I see three different units on eBay and am wondering which performs best and easiest to install. Anyone ever try one?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: New internal throttle control

Post by 1950Panhead »

Do the Ebay parts match 49 parts or another year?
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

1950Panhead wrote:Do the Ebay parts match 49 parts or another year?
No, they don't. Most refer to it as for a custom install. It requires 4" to be cut off the right bar and a couple plug welds at the bottom. Looks interesting enough to creat a more stock look. Prices range from $45-$100. One even claims it can be used for the clutch as well.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

I don't know about what you're seeing on e-bay but do know that the ones from V-Twin are made to match their bars. They also sell Replica sets that will work on stock bars, but you have to read all the fine print and select the proper part numbers for the application you have. There are also other custom sets that are for use with after market bars & those all require modification of the bars. If you have a stock set of bars I recommend trying to find some original internals but you need to remember they're not all the same so you'll need to match to the year of your bars. If your bars are original 49 you'll need internals that match up. The ones from V-Twin do work but you need to know if you're working with real stock bars or replica ones because the internals are different.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Hauula Pan wrote:I don't know about what you're seeing on e-bay but do know that the ones from V-Twin are made to match their bars. They also sell Replica sets that will work on stock bars, but you have to read all the fine print and select the proper part numbers for the application you have. There are also other custom sets that are for use with after market bars & those all require modification of the bars. If you have a stock set of bars I recommend trying to find some original internals but you need to remember they're not all the same so you'll need to match to the year of your bars. If your bars are original 49 you'll need internals that match up. The ones from V-Twin do work but you need to know if you're working with real stock bars or replica ones because the internals are different.
The bars I'm using are new aftermarket parts from J & P and likely a V Twin part.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Mr Mach1 wrote:The bars I'm using are new aftermarket parts from J & P and likely a V Twin part.
You should contact Jay-Pee then, they should tell you which controls to use in their bars.
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Bigincher is right about contacting J&P. V-Twin sells 2 different bars for the 49 one is a replica set & uses the original stock style internals the other is their own creation which they also include with their rolling chassis kit & those use an entirely different set of internals. The V-Twin bars have an internal cut spiral while the stock bars have a spiral with small wheels. J&P may be using either one or something entirely different. This is the biggest problem when dealing with after market suppliers. Unless the part is a true replica of the original, the original stock parts usually won't work. And its not just V-Twin & J&P You run into the same issues with suppliers like Arlen Ness & Kuyrikan etc. So the best thing to do is contact J&P direct or have the dealer you bought through call them & see if they have a set of internals that will match up. Best of luck.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Hauula Pan wrote:Bigincher is right about contacting J&P. V-Twin sells 2 different bars for the 49 one is a replica set & uses the original stock style internals the other is their own creation which they also include with their rolling chassis kit & those use an entirely different set of internals. The V-Twin bars have an internal cut spiral while the stock bars have a spiral with small wheels. J&P may be using either one or something entirely different. This is the biggest problem when dealing with after market suppliers. Unless the part is a true replica of the original, the original stock parts usually won't work. And its not just V-Twin & J&P You run into the same issues with suppliers like Arlen Ness & Kuyrikan etc. So the best thing to do is contact J&P direct or have the dealer you bought through call them & see if they have a set of internals that will match up. Best of luck.
OK, let me clear this up. My bars are not replica bars with internals. They are just 1" bars bent to simulate stock appearance. There's nuthin in them bars but air. That what I believe these parts were designed for.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I have zero experience with them but for the price of them and then all the related issues of cables, drilling, routing, time etc, etc, my inclination would be to buy a set of replica bars and do it right. Those are for the Ape-hangar, custom z-bar crowd. If you are going for a stock look why not just go stock?
Just wondering??
Robbie
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

OK since your bars aren't replicas or even V-Twin look a likes they aren't cut & drilled for internals. That means none of the stock, replica or V-Twin style internals will work. So you are basically going to have to either buy an after market set of internals and modify the bars to accept them, Which is what you originally mentioned. Or scrap the bars you have & buy some new ones that are already cut & drilled to accept some internals. Stock or replica bars will accept stock or replica stock internals which gives you the greatest option down the road for repairs & replacements. V-Twin bars with the cut internal spirals work but limit you to their parts. And finally modifying your bars to accept after market internals will limit you to basically the same thing, stock or replica parts won't interchange. So it comes down to deciding which option works best for your situation & budget. (I don't know what company you're looking at for the internals - but my experience with some is yes they work OK. Mostly I've seen them on more modern custom chopper applications. ) The only drawback is they won't look anything like stock because the bars won't have the bulge in front of the grip. But as far as functioning most work OK if the modification is done right. If all you're after is a close to stock look and you're not concerned with fine details - like not having the bulge and only want a clean internal throttle and possibly spark advance look without the dangling external cables then the after market custom parts will give you what you're after. The modification is pretty straight forward depending on what set you buy. some only require cutting the end down and some require cutting the ends and slotting them. Again hope we've been of some help, we always like to see pictures of what people are doing so if you get a chance post a couple.
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Since I don't know which ones you saw on e-bay I can't tell you which work best & can only offer general advice based on what I've used or seen used. If you can tell us specifically what brand you are looking at on e-bay we here at this site could then give more specific advice. There are so many after market ones out there it is hard to tell you if the ones you're looking at are known to be good or not.
58bob
Bikes: 56 Pan Bobber
2008 Ducati Monster S4r

Post by 58bob »

Mr.Mach1,
I have a similar setup to yours, after market bars but they looked original style. I run an S&S carb so bought an internal throttle assembly from Exile. This is an excellent assembly, roller bearings and all that. But, if you are still using the original carb that wont work, spiral works on push wire, my carb works on pull cable.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

[quote="58bob"]Mr.Mach1,
I have a similar setup to yours, after market bars but they looked original style. I run an S&S carb so bought an internal throttle assembly from Exile. This is an excellent assembly, roller bearings and all that. But, if you are still using the original carb that wont work, spiral works on push wire, my carb works oull cable.[/quote

im running a S&S Carb as well.
panmarkski
Bikes: 1979 XLS
2007FLHX
1961 FLH

Post by panmarkski »

I also am running a S&S carb with aftermarket bars. Bought a kit from Jireh cycles a few years back, nice throttle kit made in Sweden. Had a broken set of bars pressed off the "buldge" in front of the grip, opened up the hole and pressed it on the aftermarkets, came out nice
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Glad someone was able to post experience with a couple of brands for you, as you can see there are many. Ultima, BKrider, Biker's Choice, Jireh, Exile, Arlen Ness just to name a few, which is why it was impossible to know what ones you were looking at on e-bay. Hope all the info. helps you decide on which way to go, and remember we love to see pictures of fellow members bikes & projects so please be sure to post some when you get a chance.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”