What I hated about my Pan is...

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
Detroitblue

What I hated about my Pan is...

Post by Detroitblue »

I have to say that I actually hated having to use the kick start on a hot summer afternoon when my "58" was not in the mood to start. But now that I have installed the Cycle Tech electric start we are getting along like new lovers.
hydra
Site Admin

Post by hydra »

Which carburetor do you use?
Detroitblue

The Carb I Use

Post by Detroitblue »

Well actually I was interested in hearing about your petpeeves, but since u asked.

I use a bendix carb and the whole set up in freshly done so i am still breaking it in. On thing that is interesting is that you don't have to retard the spark with starting, you can just leave it fully advanced all the time now.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Detroit

Sometime when you have the time I would be interested in hearing your step by step elec start installation including battery choice and where you put it. Also the cost.

My old right leg is getting tired too.

Thanks
King
King
Inactive member

Post by King »

Hi Detroit

Sometime when you have the time I would be interested in hearing your step by step elec start installation including battery choice and where you put it. Also the cost.

My old right leg is getting tired too.

Thanks
King
Detroitblue

the tired right legs reply

Post by Detroitblue »

I have no problem with taking a minute to tell you all about it.

First of all allow me to tell all who are reading this post that there is a great magazine that features vintage bikes and has many great articles about them. The magazine is called "Iron Works Magazine" and it is not one of those chopper rags. As a matter of fact, featured in the current issue (August- November) is a article about installing a "Tech Cycle" starter on a "57" pan.

My experience was this in a nutshell. Go to the website "www.Techcycle.com" and read all of the information reguarding application to your bike and pricing options. You can get the unit with a heavy duty starter motor in chrome or you can go basic. I got the standard duty motor in chrome with the extra starter button $2127.00. Plop down your credit card and wait.

I had my starter installed by the wrench that reccommended to me to this aftermarket option so I really can't give you the blow by blow of the installation process. The magazine only skims across the high points also. But I can tell you this, it is recommended that only a person with advanced skill in motorcycle repair attempt the install.

And I can say a few other helpful things like the installation of the Electric starter is what prompted my total restoration due to the fact that the engine and trans had to be removed from the frame to do this project. Once I resolved to go all the way I found a great benefit with the new starter.

First of all installing the electric starter required that the primary chain drive be converted to a belt drive which was part of the starter kit. this actually ties into my other petpeeve about my old '58".
THE FREAK'IN OIL LEAKS. My bike used to always leak oil every time I parked the sucker. Well with the replacement of the chain to the belt drive you can disable the antiquated chain oiler system that requires the oil to drip out on the ground. What a upgrade!!!

Secondly the kit also comes with a replacement wrap around oil tank and 12 volt battery that looks great on the bike. It is my understanding that there were only two snaggs in the whole installation process.

The first snag was the mouse trap eliminator arm that comes with the kit. In order the install the starter the mouse trap has to be removed because the starter gets in its way. So the kit features an eliminator arm that makes the mouse trap unnessary. Problem is that it is poorly designed and actually has to be modifed in order to work. So you got to get a fabricator to extend it a little. This issue is also addressed in the article however we found out the hard way and caught hell before we realzed it didn't fit like it was suppose too.

The second little issue is that the primary outer cover has to be "notched" in order to fit on the bike due to the fact that it sits up against the starter motor. This is virtually unnoticable.

Oh yeah, and if you have the dual pipes on the left and right sides of your bike then you will have to sacrifice the pipe on the left side because the starter fits in the space where the crossover pipe used to fit through the frame.

Now the bike starts up like magic and I feel it was worth making the few sacrifices from being all original.

I am actually in the process of posting some pics of my "58". and you can get a look at some of the close ups.

Detroitblue
PANHEADBEANS

Cycle Tech electric start

Post by PANHEADBEANS »

NICE JOB! I'M GOING TO INSTALL THIS FIX THIS WINTER!! WHAT DID THEY DO WITH THE ENGINE BREATHER?
King
Inactive member

Post by King »

Detroit

Thanks for the info. I will check out "Tech Cycle" and the article in"Iron Works". Sound's like the hot set-up you got there!!

King
panoply

looky looky

Post by panoply »

DetroitBlue,

Back to the subject of the thread, the thing I hate is the same thing I love -- People staring at it! (the "real charmer" as you called it in the gallery) I love when the crowd gathers and they start asking questions, but soon I want them to be on their way so I don't have to be watching it like a hawk. Heck one tiime when it was parked on the street but still in view as I worked in my garage, I saw a dude hit his brakes hard, back up his car up and sat there pointing and talking about it to his wife and kids. First I smile thinking yeah it's a looker, but soon as he left, I move it back inside, locked up, keepin it safe.

have a good one.
-panoply
Detroitblue

That a good one

Post by Detroitblue »

Hey Panopoly,

That is a good one. All the attention and the sence of insecurity that it brings. I ride in the Detroit where the weak are killed and eaten LOL. But honesty I standout so much with the bike.

The one big question I get is " so how did you get your hands on something like that!"

You know not very many people dare to be honest about the draw backs of owning these beloved machines but I am noticing that all the guys that I know that have the older Pans have the same issues. Like what about the charging system problem when you run the spots at night? Or what about the excessive vibration? Or what about those brakes?
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

My biggest peeve is one similar to Panopoly's. My 59 FLH is not fancy. The paint is a cracked KMart rattlecan candy apple red, that's been on it since Oct of 74, when I bought it. And, it still attracts a crowd, with the occational uninformed, or total idiot, who will straddle it and pull it upright. Fortunately, I've got good friends that have seen this and corrected the problem, before I knew about it. The uninformed will appologize, and beg for a pardon, as they didn't know any better. The idiots just get ticked off and can't see the harm in handling someone else's machine. And, as my 59 doesn't shine, they think that it's even less harm done. Most of the people who have known me for many years, know how I feel about such. As only a person can feel, who owns a fine piece of heritage. It's amazing, and gratifying, to know that these people will look out for the old machine, in my absense. I've even had women to come out to the parking lot and run people away from it, when they seem to be putting their hands on it. Women can say a whole lot, and not have to worry about getting in a scrap.

The 59 is parked in the shop, awaiting it's major rebuild. Too worn to risk the potential problems, if I were to keep it on the road. However, I've had more people, than not, to tell me to leave the paint job as it is. It seems to attract more attention as it is, than the shiney bikes that park next to it. There are even some who won't even park close to it. Not because they are above parking there. The only way people will admire their new Evo or TC is to park away from my Pan. The old lone wolf always stands out among all the chrome-plated sheep.

Jack

P.S. - This being said, I can never say that there's something that I hate about my Pan. Just the parisites that it attracts.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Yes, it's dangerous to public welfare to ride them. It's all so overwhelming to the public. Most effected are the people who have the 405-315 degree DNA encoding. These folks are un-aware the have the genetic marker, but somewhere in their life they had heard a Harley motor run, and the sound of alternate cylinders firing on wasted spark rotation is with them forever. These are the people that I see stumbling across the filling station parking lot, eyes glazed-over, hands outstretch like a baby's, waddling over to greet something from their past they're not so sure of - the bright elusive butterfly of someone elses motorcycle. I've seen people walk right in front of traffic, or rear-end another car in front of them, just to get next to a Panhead. Spooky. Who-wee. Forlorn is the expression of many. I try to give them a show. I have the motor so wired, I can make it backfire. I can make it mis-fire on start-up and send billows of Marvel Mystery smoke up their nostrils, waving my hand through the plume like the motor's on fire and might blow-up at any second. Thrilling displays. Yeah, they love it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Detroitblue

Hate is harsh

Post by Detroitblue »

Very Interesting,

Jack you are right, I really don't hate it. Well maybe sometimes.
The word Hate sounds so harsh dosent it? But its a hot topic that can pull em' in and get me sme good comments.

I too Don't have the fresh paint on the bike yet and you make a interesting point about the difference in the kind of appeal the bike has with fresh shine paint. When the finish is old and vintage looking people will tend to react differently. Most novist can't tell one Harley year from another but they can tell when a bike is looking Vintage.

It is my goal to get the paint done and have the bike looking mint condition. Then prehaps I can sleep at night.

Vintage Twin you weave your words together like you have a publisher.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

I write technical all day. Weaving words on these sites helps me clean out. Having a Big Twin 6" off the ground on a Bestway lift, ready to saddle-up, keeps me balanced. Enjoy your horse. A fine mechanical one it is.
Detroitblue

thin line between love and hate

Post by Detroitblue »

Well you have probably seen my pic of my "58". My blood sweat tears and money have been poured into this bike.

I just got the bike out of the shop in late September after a long winter and summer of working and putting new parts on her.

Boy how happy was I to get her back in the knick of time to catch a little summer breeze. Now I have her back home and we have only taken maybe five or six 90 minute rides. I am sad to report that Not once have I been able to ride the bike worry free without some little something needing to be addressed when I get back home.

A drained battery from low charging at first. Then a mysterious fluid leak, now it won't shift properly. Not to mention the bolts that have rattled loose. I have to keep reminding myself how much I love this bike.

She starts up great and it runs better then ishe ever have before. Maybe my expectations are to high for this 46 year old machine. I wish I could get to that state of bliss where I can ride her all summer with barely a worry and then do some maintenence during the winter. Well anyway So this winter she goes back under the knife again.

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”