Our non-USA members

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Our non-USA members

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Panhead, DuoDave and any of our non-USA riders.

I was hoping that some you guys could take a little time and tell us about riding in your areas. Info like riding seasons, roads and road condition, gas prices and favorite trips or events that you might attend.

I'm also interested in if any of your freinds or spouses that might ride with you and if they ride any other brands of bikes.

I believe this would be a interesting topic for a lot of us.

Thank's, Ed
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Good idea Ed. I'll come back to this topic (have to go for a ride now, finally good weather!)
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Good suggestion, Ed. I, too, am interested in the riding conditions and scenery of the lands across the water, from us in N. America. There was a time that I thought that I would make it back over there to get in some good riding. But, I think that I will grow too old, before I get around to seeing the rest of the U.S.. Or, the part of Canada that I had hope to venture through. So, I would love to hear about these other places, and see pics. Glad you brought it up.

Jack
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I find stories of uncovering relics around the world most interesting. The history ties us all together in strange ways.

...Cotten
panhead
Site Admin

Living and riding in Holland.

Post by panhead »

Living in Holland means that you're never alone. Having a surface of 45000 square kilometers, one-tenth of California, it has half of the population of California, 16 millon people. As a consequence if it's nice weather the roads are very crowded. On the other hand the roads are generally in good condition. Cars and bikes over 25 years old don't have to pay road tax and insurance for oldtimers is cheap! Except for a few months in the winter you can ride the whole year. The price of fuel is approx. $ 7.7 per gallon at the moment.
And here some scenry pics:

Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Thank's Panhead, This is exactly what I was hoping for. Beautiful country and looks like pretty good roads. Sorry for my ignorance on the size and population,but I had know idea that your country was that crowded. I also didnt realize that you had a riding season that long.
Do you get to ride with that group of old iron all the time ? Ed
panhead
Site Admin

Post by panhead »

Do you get to ride with that group of old iron all the time
There is a small group of oldtimers in the Harley club, which organises trips and weekends. There also is the H-D club the Oldtimers, which is quite active, but I usually ride together with the same friend (owner of the sidecar).
ozpan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: Our non-USA members and guests

Post by ozpan »

Fast Ed 53 wrote:Panhead,DuoDave and any of our non-USA riders.

I was hoping that some you guys could take a little time and tell us about riding in your areas. Info like riding seasons, roads and road condition, gas prices and favorite trips or events that you might attend.

I'm also interested in if any of your freinds or spouses that might ride with you and if they ride any other brands of bikes.

I believe this would be a interesting topic for a lot of us.

Thank's, Ed
I haven't posted here much, so I'll introduce myself. I live in Sydney, Australia, own a heavily modified '55 Pan and ride every day (not the Pan, unfortunately) to and from work.

I'm originally from the UK, and have ridden Harleys throughout Europe, and I have to say the roads here in Oz (and the drivers!) are some of the worst I've come across. The harsh heat and torrential storms in summer means the asphalt takes a pounding, and the roads are potholed and rough. The main road I take into the city every day is called the 'goat track' by Sydneysiders. Riding a rigid here takes courage and constant vigilance for loose and broken parts.

Having said that, we also have some of the most beautiful and picturesque roads you could ask for: within an hour of me are three or four winding roads through bushland which couldn't be beaten for scenery anywhere (some of the national park here reminds me a bit of Yosemite).

Fuel is about $1 US per litre (about $3.70 US a gallon?) which is a lot cheaper than the UK. The cops come down heavily on modifed bikes, and I run a chopper with no front fender, speedo, belt guard etc which attracts attention. Old Harley enthusiasts and shops are few and far between: we only have a population of 20 million in a country the size of Europe!

On the plus side, you can ride in sunshine pretty much the whole year round ...
panhead
Site Admin

Post by panhead »

FastEd53 and other USA-members: we are interested in your stories as well!
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Riding in Scotland

Post by DuoDave »

I live few miles west of Aberdeen in northern Scotland. It is about the same latitude as Hudson bay, but the Gulf stream keeps the climate a lot milder, so we can ride comfortably from the beginning of March through October. I used to ride through winter, but I'm not that hardy these days. I guess you will all know at least a little about the Scottish highlands - narrow winding mountain roads, fabulous scenery of lochs, forests, castles and whisky distilleries! There is a huge amount of history everywhere you turn, think Braveheart, Rob Roy etc. Most Scottish families have relatives somewhere in the States or Canada, so if any of you guys from North America can make it over here, you will be made most welcome. But it will rain!
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Aberdeen Scotland

Post by Skip »

My father was originally from Aberdeen...I think he left in the 30's...Never talked too much about it though...good luck...DB
panhead
Site Admin

Post by panhead »

DD,

Can you post a picture to show us the Scottish landscape?
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Scotland

Post by DuoDave »

Aha! A photographic assignment from the editor. I feel like Jimmy Olsen. I'll get right on it Chief! I wish I had thought of this before. The last couple of days have had great weather and I have been riding through just the type of scenery I described above. Of course, now it is grey, misty and wet. "Dreich" is the Scots word for this kind of stuff. Any way, until I can get out and get some decent photos, have a look at http://www.visitscotland.com and you will get a feel for the place.
panhead
Site Admin

Post by panhead »

Consider it as a challenge :D
panhead
Site Admin

Post by panhead »

Here are some pictures from DD:

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”