Our non-USA members

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
chopperzz
Inactive member
Bikes: 65' pan cop special.
78 fx original
2001 96" custom
2002 121" custom
2008 nightster

Re: canada's riding

Post by chopperzz »

is this still a live thread, or does anyone still care?
yea, i'm trying to find pan riders in the GTA.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Our non-USA members and guests

Post by FlatHeadSix »

you just brought it back to life chopper, all it takes is a fresh post.

I'm guessing that GTA is the Greater Toronto Area?, like Mississauga, etc...

mike
chopperzz
Inactive member
78 fx original
2001 96" custom
2002 121" custom
2008 nightster

Post by chopperzz »

yes Greater Toronto Area. Just north of Brampton
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Post by old1955 »

G'day,
Australia, a country pretty much the size of America but nowhere near the population. Sydney to Perth 3,307 kilometres,
New York to LA 3,961 kilometres. The neck of the woods I come from is Northern NSW on the eastern seaboard known as
"The Northern Rivers", in a little rural town call Mullumbimby. The Queensland state boarder is a forty minute ride north on a
two lane concrete highway either way, then another hour and half to Brisbane, limited to 110KPH, or about 65 MPH and Sydney
is 780 kilometres or 485 miles south.

Here it is a sub tropical environment in Northern NSW where once we had the highest rainfall for NSW, eighty-four inches a
year give or take a few inches, but a little further south has the record now. So you need to pack your rain gear some times.
Humidity is high so you got to make sure your Harley doesn't rust. My town doesn't have traffic lights and if they get some,
that's when I know it's time to leave. The closest stop lights are also forty minutes ride away.

The localised area is know as The Byron Shire which has a population of 29,000 people. The coastal town of Byron Bay,
is the most easterly point in Australia and is well known world wide for good surfing beaches, water sports, hang gliding,
backpackers and music festivals and surrounded by lush sub-tropical hinterlands. The place has lots of artists, surfboard
makers, glass blowers, woodworkers, activists, comedians, actors, singers, film makers and writers, you name it.
There is a lot of Organic growers of everything - including coffee . The area is what I call “The Bubble" , outside of 'The Bubble'
is hard to find what's inside 'The Bubble'.

This is a good area and country, for that matter, for riding. Roads general are fair, highways are better, but I don't like highway
riding unless I'm in hurry to get somewhere. These days I don't care about the clock to much and just enjoy the ride, and the
stops. There is large acreages of flat land too, where sugar cane is grown. The roads go straight through the cane fields and
you get the sweet smell of the sugar as you ride through. You can take a run up and through the Burringbah Range a nice piece
of road with sweeping corners and a speed camera. But you can get the rust & burrs off your foot boards. There is another good
ride through The Boarder Ranges National Park, it's out of the way a bit and on week days you have the place nearly to yourself.
One of the best thing is you can ride here all year round .

Lowest temp is about 9 Deg. C. just at dawn some winter mornings. I'm at 50 Metres above sea level at my house, but only ten
minutes ride to the beach.

Gas , gasolina or petrol for some, has taken a leap lately it's close to $1.40 AUS for high octane (98), for 1 litre/ 2 pints,
I would say it's the same rubbish we all get that eats your manifold rubbers and attacks your float. It is swelling my gas
cap seals too, and there made by James. Here you can get three octane grades 92, 95 and 98. We can fill-up from the
pump as soon as we pull up. But when I was in the US in 1995, I just couldn't get that pump to work, over the speaker
came “Excuse me sir.", you have to pay first" I only twigged then.

My favourite event is the Great Race, it is staged somewhere about half way been Sydney and Melbourne the locations
can change bi-annually . It's the Indian Harley wars all over again. You have 42 or so Harley's and riders and equal
amount of Indians, ( don't tell the Indian riders this but, if you love Harleys you gotta have a soft spot somewhere for
Indians there almost simpatigo, all Harleys have to be made before 1958 and Indians before 1953 of course.
The general idea is to run at a constant speed to a location - if you're late or early to check points, arrive late or early
to the destination you loose points.

Team with the most points is the winner. Look, it's bloody good excuse for a good ride and lot of fun. The people
who organize it do it with brilliance. Seems to run like clock work every year. You can't fault it. This event has been
running for about 14 years I think . There are a few Americans turn up each year for it. Two years Max Brubeck
who was in his eighties at the time and was an American Indian board track racer of some note in his day and still riding,
did the whole course, no problems, nice guy, see him sitting on the Indian outfit in the shots also check him out here,
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... asp?id=137 .

Coker turned up one other year of Coker Tyres with his Texan drawl saying Howdy! Howdy!, now he's got me say it.
He was just so happy we were all wearing out his tyres so we would buy more of them. He loves a scrubbed out tyre.
I remember another guy called Budda who was a tattooist from California. He had a white Chief with big coloured
bubbles all over it. Most years I ride down there do the three day ride and then ride home. One particular year it was
held in Melbourne, in Victoria, I was having such a good time it took close to four weeks to ride home, I was visiting
everyone on the way up the country one day here, three days there, and so on, my wife kept ringing me....
"Where the hell are you, get home"! I'm sure you know.

There has been a bit of trouble with Outlaws lately (2009), a Comanchero killed a Hells Angel at Sydney Airport. Now
authorities here are trying to make it illegal to wear a patch or be in a motorcycle gang, but it has failed because Bikers
are wearing patches too, and I think they were unable to single out the Outlaws. But some of Joe public is getting nasty
with some of the Biker groups. They are getting flack for just looking similar. Bike Week is another good event held in
Queensland in the Gold Coast area. This year it was put off, due to security reasons, that was a disappointment, they
seem to think the event which has been held for years was a threat to the public in some way. Its never had a problem
since its conception. But they're all a little jittery, because of the Outlaw problem.

“Speed on Tweed “ is another top event, where they get all the old racing cars from times gone by, and do time
trials around the streets of Murwillumbah, that's the next shire north about a 25 minute ride. There is some incredible cars,
Bugatti's, C type Jaguars, Bentleys, old style open wheelers, super charged MGs, Mustangs. If you want a good
look check this out: http://www.speedontweed.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seems to be something on these days nearly every weekend that you can ride to. They're not all Harley events
but good stuff like good old English marques and others, events, some swap meets and car shows, air shows.
We have a lot of H.O.G. groups here, that has taken off, seems to appeal to a huge number of new Harley riders.
Last year I went to their Annual General Meeting party, its was just down the road 10 miles. I never have had
anything to do with them before, I was riding a 59FL that I had just finished, and I was just about to park the bike
with my mate who was riding his 71 Super Glide, and I heard a guy say,"Did you see that, that guys seat moved”.
The other guy he was talking too said, “no I missed it” They might be riding Harley's but some obviously have no idea
of their lineage. I though of the story I read here on this site about the guy kicking over his 52 outside the Harley
dealer in the US, and some girl who had just arrived on a Harley with some other people, walk over to him and asked
“What are you doing”?.... But what that did for me was, I realized I new zip about his modern Harley either, cause I'm stuck
in the 40s,50s and 60s Harley's. So I'm making a concerted effort to learn more about modern Harley's now, you know, softales,
rear belt drives and even what T means in FLHT. (don't ask I don't know yet!)

I ride with a few guys, they have a Triumph and Guzzi they are the only two I can think of that ride
European bikes, everyone else has the American Iron. My mate in Grafton has a 69 Glide (Stock), 71 Super Glide(stock),
a couple 60s Sporties (Stock) and a 26 J, they all go, oh!, and no wife now. Another has in the Tweed area has 48 FL
(lightly chopped no tabs cut), 64FL(Stock), 46FL(Stock), 41ULH (stock), they all run and, no wife either. Bazza has 49FL (Stock) .
Another has a 71 Electra Glide was stock but had an accident, drunk, and it was cheaper to remove stuff that replace bits,
he also has a Knucklehead(39E that's a guess). Couple of the guys have 90s Heritage jobs. Some mates live along way away
we usually get together a couple of times a year, one has 46U(stock),68FLH(stock), 42WLA (Stock project at the moment)
plus a FLHT 2009. The other has a 42U, a knuckle chopper and 58FL(stock) he has had them all for over 35 years .
Yet another has a 64FLH (near stock) and a WLA he has had for 30 years.

I had a count of Pans around here and came up the figure of 17 with good engine numbers in a radius of 45 kilometres or
28 miles. Ain't it marvellous and astonishing at the same time, how there seems to be enough Panheads to go around,
and there all over the globe.

Except for the one meet a year, I don't hang out with any Indian riders, that's a shame, anyone that can change gear with
with their right hand, while pushing in the clutch back-to-front is way cool with me!

Just to give you an idea of what were paying to run a bike in this country.
I just re-registered ol55, for 12 months, cost, $106 AUS, that goes to the RTA (Road and Traffic Authority) also you have to pay
$220 AUS for your insurance called CTP= Compulsory Third Party, plus you have to pay another $19 AUS for a mechanical
inspection of your bike. They do a safety check, check you lights and check your engine number is correct & write down your
mileage. Then I also get comprehensive insurance for a bike that isn't ridden full time , that costs me $210 a year for $36,000
coverage. So it ain't cheap, total $555 a year for one bike. If your in a club you may be able to get Historical Vehicle registration,
which is around $50 for the year. Now that's a better deal, but there are restrictions.

If you want to buy a replica Firestone tyre, that looks like the original tyres on Hydra-Glides
they are $289.00 each, then you got to ship it. Coker Becks $279,with a white wall, $389.

Loaf of Bread: between $3.00 - $5.00 AUS
Two litres of milk: $3.40 AUS
Camp Maple syrup 250ml $9.20 AUS (now that's a rip off)
$1.00 US = 0.93cents AUS

New Harley: The one with the rear armchair jammed between two speakers around $37,000 AUS
If your old lady rides on a pussy pad, don't ever let her see one of those, you'll be in it so deep.

In the capital cities, they have gone mad, charging you a toll to ride/drive on a lot of sections of roadway.
A bloody horrid American idea. (Sorry guys but it is) You can, I'm told, part with $15.00 a day just to get to work and
home again. And its all electronic now, no one to take your toll, they don't want to give a guy/gal a job. So if you come
from the country or overseas, you can get fines sent to you for not paying the tolls but they give you a day or so to ring
up and pay. The city folk have to have money in credit in there toll accounts. There gearing it up, so it goes on forever.

I could have a big winge about a political system and how we have a lame constitution that's never used because it's a
joke. How we should be a republic and dump the old Westminster (pommy) system. But that's pretty dry stuff!

It's summer now and its hot, plenty of places to ride, lots of people to see! And the Great Race is two weeks away.

All the best
Pete
Attachments
Ric
Ric
ric.jpg (474.81 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Car with plane motor
Car with plane motor
speedontweed2.jpg (475.3 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
C types
C types
speedontweed3.jpg (479.1 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Indian Racer 2
Indian Racer 2
speedontweed5.jpg (471.81 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Indian Racer
Indian Racer
speedontweed6.jpg (481.96 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Speed on Tweed , 4 speed box
Speed on Tweed , 4 speed box
speedontweed7.jpg (471.4 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Coast Map
Coast Map
tweedcoast.gif (9.44 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Visitors Type 3
Visitors Type 3
visitor3.jpg (500.48 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Visitors Type 2
Visitors Type 2
visitor2.jpg (472.58 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Visitors Type 1
Visitors Type 1
visitor1.jpg (462.13 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Last edited by old1955 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Post by old1955 »

More shots, there was a max of 10 shots
Attachments
Country having his breakfast, that's his Super Glide
Country having his breakfast, that's his Super Glide
1bfast.jpg (474.77 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Leaving Home for a ride
Leaving Home for a ride
1meleaving.jpg (467.49 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
1 week ride south
1 week ride south
1weekride.jpg (129.9 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Most Easterly Point in Australia , Byron Bay
Most Easterly Point in Australia , Byron Bay
east.jpg (454.57 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Great Race 1
Great Race 1
g-race.jpg (124.96 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
The Opposition
The Opposition
g-race2.jpg (469.78 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Give me gas
Give me gas
g-racegasup.jpg (126.65 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Looking North
Looking North
lookingnorth.jpg (449.13 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Max at the Great Race
Max at the Great Race
max.jpg (95.57 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Looking West to Mt Warning
Looking West to Mt Warning
mtwarning.jpg (455.05 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

Post by hjans »

Old 1955 :
When can i visit you and your country !!
Nice pic's !! Very nice impressions !!

Hans
windweaver
Bikes: 49 HD

Post by windweaver »

great pics. thank you. WW
harry_fabricator
Inactive member
Bikes: 1942 WLA , 2008 triumph, 1980 yamaha XS650

Re: Our non-USA members

Post by harry_fabricator »

hey my name is harold i live in edmonton alberta canada i ride a 1942 wla that has been civilianized. if we are lucky we get 6 good months of ridein if your a diehard you can get 8 months last year i rode till nov 30 it was 32 degrees ferinhiet and 0 celcious weather here has been know too hit minus 40 c and get as warm as plus 34 c we are closer too the moutians where the ridein is nice and hilly and beautiful scenery for ridein ..
chopperzz
Inactive member
78 fx original
2001 96" custom
2002 121" custom
2008 nightster

Post by chopperzz »

old1955 wrote:G'day,
Australia, a country pretty much the size of America but nowhere near the population. Sydney to Perth 3,307 kilometres,
New York to LA 3,961 kilometres. The neck of the woods I come from is Northern NSW on the eastern seaboard known as
"The Northern Rivers”, in a little rural town call Mullumbimby. The Queensland state boarder is a forty minute ride north on a
two lane concrete highway either way, then another hour and half to Brisbane, limited to 110KPH, or about 65 MPH and Sydney
is 780 kilometres or 485 miles south.

Here it is a sub tropical environment in Northern NSW where once we had the highest rainfall for NSW, eighty-four inches a
year give or take a few inches, but a little further south has the record now. So you need to pack your rain gear some times.
Humidity is high so you got to make sure your Harley doesn't rust. My town doesn't have traffic lights and if they get some,
that's when I know it's time to leave. The closest stop lights are also forty minutes ride away.

The localised area is know as The Byron Shire which has a population of 29,000 people. The coastal town of Byron Bay,
is the most easterly point in Australia and is well known world wide for good surfing beaches, water sports, hang gliding,
backpackers and music festivals and surrounded by lush sub-tropical hinterlands. The place has lots of artists, surfboard
makers, glass blowers, woodworkers, activists, comedians, actors, singers, film makers and writers, you name it.
There is a lot of Organic growers of everything - including coffee . The area is what I call “The Bubble” , outside of 'The Bubble'
is hard to find what's inside 'The Bubble'.

This is a good area and country, for that matter, for riding. Roads general are fair, highways are better, but I don't like highway
riding unless I'm in hurry to get somewhere. These days I don't care about the clock to much and just enjoy the ride, and the
stops. There is large acreages of flat land too, where sugar cane is grown. The roads go straight through the cane fields and
you get the sweet smell of the sugar as you ride through. You can take a run up and through the Burringbah Range a nice piece
of road with sweeping corners and a speed camera. But you can get the rust & burrs off your foot boards. There is another good
ride through The Boarder Ranges National Park, it's out of the way a bit and on week days you have the place nearly to yourself.
One of the best thing is you can ride here all year round .

Lowest temp is about 9 Deg. C. just at dawn some winter mornings. I'm at 50 Metres above sea level at my house, but only ten
minutes ride to the beach.

Gas , gasolina or petrol for some, has taken a leap lately it's close to $1.40 AUS for high octane (98), for 1 litre/ 2 pints,
I would say it's the same rubbish we all get that eats your manifold rubbers and attacks your float. It is swelling my gas
cap seals too, and there made by James. Here you can get three octane grades 92, 95 and 98. We can fill-up from the
pump as soon as we pull up. But when I was in the US in 1995, I just couldn't get that pump to work, over the speaker
came “Excuse me sir”, you have to pay first” I only twigged then.

My favourite event is the Great Race, it is staged somewhere about half way been Sydney and Melbourne the locations
can change bi-annually . It's the Indian Harley wars all over again. You have 42 or so Harley's and riders and equal
amount of Indians, ( don't tell the Indian riders this but, if you love Harleys you gotta have a soft spot somewhere for
Indians there almost simpatigo, all Harleys have to be made before 1958 and Indians before 1953 of course.
The general idea is to run at a constant speed to a location - if you're late or early to check points, arrive late or early
to the destination you loose points.

Team with the most points is the winner. Look, it's bloody good excuse for a good ride and lot of fun. The people
who organize it do it with brilliance. Seems to run like clock work every year. You can't fault it. This event has been
running for about 14 years I think . There are a few Americans turn up each year for it. Two years Max Brubeck
who was in his eighties at the time and was an American Indian board track racer of some note in his day and still riding,
did the whole course, no problems, nice guy, see him sitting on the Indian outfit in the shots also check him out here,
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... asp?id=137 .

Coker turned up one other year of Coker Tyres with his Texan drawl saying Howdy! Howdy!, now he's got me say it.
He was just so happy we were all wearing out his tyres so we would buy more of them. He loves a scrubbed out tyre.
I remember another guy called Budda who was a tattooist from California. He had a white Chief with big coloured
bubbles all over it. Most years I ride down there do the three day ride and then ride home. One particular year it was
held in Melbourne, in Victoria, I was having such a good time it took close to four weeks to ride home, I was visiting
everyone on the way up the country one day here, three days there, and so on, my wife kept ringing me....
”Where the hell are you, get home”! I'm sure you know.

There has been a bit of trouble with Outlaws lately (2009), a Comanchero killed a Hells Angel at Sydney Airport. Now
authorities here are trying to make it illegal to wear a patch or be in a motorcycle gang, but it has failed because Bikers
are wearing patches too, and I think they were unable to single out the Outlaws. But some of Joe public is getting nasty
with some of the Biker groups. They are getting flack for just looking similar. Bike Week is another good event held in
Queensland in the Gold Coast area. This year it was put off, due to security reasons, that was a disappointment, they
seem to think the event which has been held for years was a threat to the public in some way. Its never had a problem
since its conception. But they're all a little jittery, because of the Outlaw problem.

“Speed on Tweed “ is another top event, where they get all the old racing cars from times gone by, and do time
trials around the streets of Murwillumbah, that's the next shire north about a 25 minute ride. There is some incredible cars,
Bugatti's, C type Jaguars, Bentleys, old style open wheelers, super charged MGs, Mustangs. If you want a good
look check this out: http://www.speedontweed.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seems to be something on these days nearly every weekend that you can ride to. They're not all Harley events
but good stuff like good old English marques and others, events, some swap meets and car shows, air shows.
We have a lot of H.O.G. groups here, that has taken off, seems to appeal to a huge number of new Harley riders.
Last year I went to their Annual General Meeting party, its was just down the road 10 miles. I never have had
anything to do with them before, I was riding a 59FL that I had just finished, and I was just about to park the bike
with my mate who was riding his 71 Super Glide, and I heard a guy say, “ Did you see that, that guys seat moved”.
The other guy he was talking too said, “no I missed it” They might be riding Harley's but some obviously have no idea
of their lineage. I though of the story I read here on this site about the guy kicking over his 52 outside the Harley
dealer in the US, and some girl who had just arrived on a Harley with some other people, walk over to him and asked
“What are you doing”?.... But what that did for me was, I realized I new zip about his modern Harley either, cause I'm stuck
in the 40s,50s and 60s Harley's. So I'm making a concerted effort to learn more about modern Harley's now, you know, softales,
rear belt drives and even what T means in FLHT. (don't ask I don't know yet!)

I ride with a few guys, they have a Triumph and Guzzi they are the only two I can think of that ride
European bikes, everyone else has the American Iron. My mate in Grafton has a 69 Glide (Stock), 71 Super Glide(stock),
a couple 60s Sporties (Stock) and a 26 J, they all go, oh!, and no wife now. Another has in the Tweed area has 48 FL
(lightly chopped no tabs cut), 64FL(Stock), 46FL(Stock), 41ULH (stock), they all run and, no wife either. Bazza has 49FL (Stock) .
Another has a 71 Electra Glide was stock but had an accident, drunk, and it was cheaper to remove stuff that replace bits,
he also has a Knucklehead(39E that's a guess). Couple of the guys have 90s Heritage jobs. Some mates live along way away
we usually get together a couple of times a year, one has 46U(stock),68FLH(stock), 42WLA (Stock project at the moment)
plus a FLHT 2009. The other has a 42U, a knuckle chopper and 58FL(stock) he has had them all for over 35 years .
Yet another has a 64FLH (near stock) and a WLA he has had for 30 years.

I had a count of Pans around here and came up the figure of 17 with good engine numbers in a radius of 45 kilometres or
28 miles. Ain't it marvellous and astonishing at the same time, how there seems to be enough Panheads to go around,
and there all over the globe.

Except for the one meet a year, I don't hang out with any Indian riders, that's a shame, anyone that can change gear with
with their right hand, while pushing in the clutch back-to-front is way cool with me!

Just to give you an idea of what were paying to run a bike in this country.
I just re-registered ol55, for 12 months, cost, $106 AUS, that goes to the RTA (Road and Traffic Authority) also you have to pay
$220 AUS for your insurance called CTP= Compulsory Third Party, plus you have to pay another $19 AUS for a mechanical
inspection of your bike. They do a safety check, check you lights and check your engine number is correct & write down your
mileage. Then I also get comprehensive insurance for a bike that isn't ridden full time , that costs me $210 a year for $36,000
coverage. So it ain't cheap, total $555 a year for one bike. If your in a club you may be able to get Historical Vehicle registration,
which is around $50 for the year. Now that's a better deal, but there are restrictions.

If you want to buy a replica Firestone tyre, that looks like the original tyres on Hydra-Glides
they are $289.00 each, then you got to ship it. Coker Becks $279,with a white wall, $389.

Loaf of Bread: between $3.00 - $5.00 AUS
Two litres of milk: $3.40 AUS
Camp Maple syrup 250ml $9.20 AUS (now that's a rip off)
$1.00 US = 0.93cents AUS

New Harley: The one with the rear armchair jammed between two speakers around $37,000 AUS
If your old lady rides on a pussy pad, don't ever let her see one of those, you'll be in it so deep.

In the capital cities, they have gone mad, charging you a toll to ride/drive on a lot of sections of roadway.
A bloody horrid American idea. (Sorry guys but it is) You can, I'm told, part with $15.00 a day just to get to work and
home again. And its all electronic now, no one to take your toll, they don't want to give a guy/gal a job. So if you come
from the country or overseas, you can get fines sent to you for not paying the tolls but they give you a day or so to ring
up and pay. The city folk have to have money in credit in there toll accounts. There gearing it up, so it goes on forever.

I could have a big winge about a political system and how we have a lame constitution that's never used because it's a
joke. How we should be a republic and dump the old Westminster (pommy) system. But that's pretty dry stuff!

It's summer now and its hot, plenty of places to ride, lots of people to see! And the Great Race is two weeks away.

All the best
Pete
That's a great snapshop of what you got in your area, thanks for putting the time in . good read!!
jibhead
Inactive member
Bikes: 43 wlc ,1990 xl1200 ,73 shovel

Post by jibhead »

hi guys.
im from the south west of england ,in the county of devon on the coast. i ride all year ,baring the occaisional blissard . we had a couple last year .but normaly we dont get snow here at all and if we do its gone again by morning.

we have a mild summer season not a lot of really hot sun but sometime loads of rain.

and all through the year it rains on and off.

the roads are generally fair to middling ,with a lot of single way tracks in the countryside, good for pottering down .

will get some pictures.
regards jib
mpedratscher
Inactive member
Bikes: FL '57 & FLSTSB

Post by mpedratscher »

Hi guys I am from Austria and I ride a '57 Panhead.

Thanks for all the good inspiration and technical tipps.

Regards
Michael

58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

JUST BEAUTIFUL!-----Richie :!:
old man emu
Bikes: WLA Mk lll, civilianised

Post by old man emu »

I met a bloke named Col in southwest Sydney, Australia today. He is restoring a WLA to WL appearance, but with a hot rod colour scheme. He sent me the contact details for the nearest old Harley and Indian club. Finally I can get to ride with bikes of the same era as mine.

Old Man Emu
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re:

Post by 58flh »

45brit wrote:Scottish Highlands are beautiful riding country but heavy traffic, ever-present roadworks and other problems make them a major trip for riders from the South of the country, although the distances aren't that great really.

old Harleys are rare here. 'Troubleheads' were brought over in some numbers in the late 80s but you rarely see them now. Panheads and knucks are extremely rare and the 'military collecters' paying £10,000 for original 45s means they are now very rare too, at least on the road.

There is a big gap between the Classic / vintage people and the custom bike scene, which doesn't really help. Of course the HOG people also look down their noses at the 'old iron' people and vice versa.

typical Brit view of life, really.

S Wales is good riding country apart from the roadworks, the Peaks and Yorkshire Dales are swamped with Power Rangers on sports bikes getting nicked for doing stupid stunts through villages, or zapped overtaking on blind bends, or doing 55mph in huge groups, and all the other things which seem to amuse them... we also have the Revenue, sorry, Safety Cameras in ever-increasing numbers ( N Wales is now best avoided in particular, also Northants and Notts )

I would say, I don't know why I bother any more, but then I pinch my son's bike occasionally and go for a squirt before he gets out of bed on a Sunday and I am reminded.

plan for 2008 is to get my 45 finished and go for a long road trip....

Hog people look down thir noses at old iron --(Because they cant keep them going!,but most of all there JEALOUS!-a40s flatty or knuck or pan ,Is just more beautiful then these new fangled sleds!& they command more Money!--I mean facts is facts!--There were some beautiful Bikes being tirned out -&(not just HD). Even American cars were a work of art now you look at a Toyota & it looks like a chevy,ford,lexus-you get the idea!. Old Vintage machines are a very important part of our History as a nation as well!.---Keep Riding them!---RICHIE :!:--- people just want to push a button these days & have a computer tell them when its time for service!.---I can understand that a injury can stop you from kicking your sled!--That's why we have such a great-site & a few alternatives to electric-starts!.---I will say that these twinkies have put scratch in my pockets!,If you ever rode a stock one -simply put (its a dog!)--so to unleash those 88inch motors potential--You have to get rid of a lot of unessesary crap that don't belong!--It took me 1-bike -(a buddy) & We did some planning to keep the bottom-end as even a stock bore 88 should haul-ass!--After he let a few take it for a ride or just flatout stomp over them on the road,,The bikes started coming for a change!---just my 2---RICHIE 8)
England-Kev
Bikes: 1951 WL750
1962 DuoGlide
1975 Electra Glide

Post by England-Kev »

Well now where do I start?

Is anybody still reading or even interested in this thread, that is the question. but just in case you are interested I shall dive in....
I love vintage, my whole life revolves around old metal and rust. You already may know I own a 64 Chevy C10 stepside, but what you may not know is that I live on an old 1902 Dutch sailing barge, although it is not now in sailing trim, having been converted to leisure use back in 1924.

My Barge the "Jonge Freerk"

more pictures here... http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/p69451532/slideshow

I also do a lot of motorcycle camping with my friends, not just Harley's, we use all types of bikes, and they get shipped all over the world to attend rallies, although at this time due to work commitments I have only done Europe...

Out with the Shovel...

more here... http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/p387734731/slideshow

of course you can always check out my blog... https://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”