need help, cant set timing on pan...

All ignition related articles
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Re: need help, cant set timing on pan...

Post by Panhead Ed »

Way to go man ! just played your video ,, mdern technology aint it grand..... But one thing I suggest if I may........ loose the slippers or sneakers whatever they are swap em for a boot with a heel ... she just might missratchet or sneeze and put that kik pedal hard into the back of your leg !! ouch it hurts real good.............................. great day to ride , have at it
vitza
Bikes: panhead project

Post by vitza »

Panhead Ed wrote:Way to go man ! just played your video ,, mdern technology aint it grand..... But one thing I suggest if I may........ loose the slippers or sneakers whatever they are swap em for a boot with a heel ... she just might missratchet or sneeze and put that kik pedal hard into the back of your leg !! ouch it hurts real good.............................. great day to ride , have at it
thank you ed!! :mrgreen:

ya the loafers were because i was a tad too lazy... will wear boots next time, guess ive been lucky so far 8)
vitza

Post by vitza »

hey guys, so new little problem... i just got the ebeyond unit and installed it, was easy as pie... put in new plugs, ngk bp5hs gapped at 0.030.... the bike would not start not matter how hard i tried.

here's what i did, maybe i missed a step?
ignition key off
finger on front cylinder plug hole, kicked engine til compressed air popped finger off
put the timing mark / line in the middle of the inspection hole
bolted up the unit into the timer, it self aligned
the piece for the cam gear easily slipped on
connected the redwire to the positive/batt side of the coil, black wire to where points wire came off

kicked this thing a million times with no luck starting... itcoughed a couple times but nothing

i even tried to slightly retard the timer and still nothing... actually, whats kind of weird is that when the lines were perfectly lined up, the bike would kick back as though it was too advanced... meaning, as soon as i felt compression on the kicker, if i compressed it even slightly, the engine would kick back

also, what came to mind when i read a different thread is can my cam gear be off? the guy who i built the bike with (he knows his stuff well, just not HD motors to a detailed extent) and i, took the timer out and put it in without aligning anything. (idler gears were aligned but nothing with the timer, we just simply dropped it in)... does it need to be aligned? and if so, how can i check it? (i think its an S&S timer)
Davereif212
Bikes: 1959 FL

Post by Davereif212 »

Man! I was happy for you watching it come to life. congrats.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Okay, just for giggles, instead of the finger-on-the-plug-hole method, lift the pushrod cover for the front intake valve and rotate the crank until the lifter starts to lift. Then set your timing.

steve
vitza

Post by vitza »

Davereif212 wrote:Man! I was happy for you watching it come to life. congrats.
thank you mucho :mrgreen:

this isnt the first start though, the first one took about 50+ kicks and we eventually pull started it w/ an atv... but i still couldnt get it fired up after until your guys' suggestions (the video) which made it fire like butter (with super fouled plugs and static timed)... but ya, hearing that exhaust and seeing the bike alive for the first time literally made me feel like a preteen feeling boobage for the first time, lol
steve_wood wrote:Okay, just for giggles, instead of the finger-on-the-plug-hole method, lift the pushrod cover for the front intake valve and rotate the crank until the lifter starts to lift. Then set your timing.

steve
will do, i was actually planning on taking everything completely apart and start assembling/adjusting from scratch... i'll take pictures of things that look funky to run it by you guys

can anyone give me input on those plugs? they should be the same as those ngk bp5es's that everyone recommends
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Oops. Meant to say: Turn it until the front intake valve closes, then turn it until you see the timing mark in the hole. Then set your distributor.

Sorry. Too much cafeine today.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

The lazy 8,dot, line timing mark arrangement suggests post march 1981 commonized taper flywheels.In that case the dot is the advance fire mark and the line is TDC front cylinder.to be sure bring the dot up in the hole,put something in the spark plug hole touching the top of the piston(soda straw is good) and slowly turn the engine.If the front piston comes up a bit more and then starts down the dot is advance fire.If the piston immediately starts down the line is advance fire and the dot is TDC.HTH
mcjim
Inactive member

Post by mcjim »

Not familiar with Ebeyondic units, but you may have it 180 degrees off.
As far as timing, since you got an open primary , you can avoid the misery of timing thru that little hole. Put the timing line in the window then put a mark on your motor pulley and line it up with a stationary point (similar to a timing mark on a car). No mess, easy to see with the light.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

is that ebeyond designed to work with an auto advance timer? i've only seen the ones for manual advance.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

hplhd wrote:is that ebeyond designed to work with an auto advance timer? i've only seen the ones for manual advance.
Now that's a good question.
Would it matter if you manually adj. or the auto advance unit does it ? All it should do is give the coil voltage to fire the plugs.

I would check your timer /distributor to make sure it is correctly timed ,as said it could be 180 deg. out or something in between.

She fired up with what ever timing you had it set at in the video, what did you change ? Look there .
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I found a set of barrels for my 49 chopper, get this, they were chromed, I thought they would look cool so I bought them not realizing there were no oil passages. I had a machinist drill the compound angle needed for the oil passage, no problem...Mike
Attachments
046.JPG
046.JPG (233.65 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
vitza

Post by vitza »

heya guys, update time!!

so the dot IS the BTDC mark, did the straw method you described steinauge and piston still went up after the dot... used that as a setting point... no go

threw the points back in and got the bike running, was hard but got it fired up. reinstalled the ebeyond unit and again, no go...

hplhd, it is made for an autoadvance, i emailed ed (creator of the unit) before the purchase and he said it'll work.

put my finger on the plug hole, after i felt suction (intake stroke) i felt the compression building... popped both front valve guide covers and both valves were closed (loose pushrods, very slight friction rotating them)... aligned the dot in the center of the window (and then later right at the rear edge of it), advanced the lobe thing on the timer and aligned the marks. tightened everything down and kicked kicked kicked.
here's what happens...
-if enricher is on, it shoots fuel out of the carb, doesnt pop
-enricher off, just does nothing... maybe a little fuel out of the carb
-enricher off, throttle slightly open it pops out of the carb (and once in a while from pipes)
-enricher off, throttle wide open, backfires through pipes once in a while and kicks back

im just totally clueless... can it be the plugs? they're gapped at .030... should i increase it to maybe .035?... i also checked the coil and its 33ohm's... only other thing is battery isnt fully charged, its at about 12.4 or so volts

as far as the 180 off, writing this now totally made a lightbulb go off in my head... i never actually tried it w/ the distributor rotated 180degree's... CRAP!!! i'll try this tomorrow and report back

only thing i changed since starting was pretty much everything at this point... i guess i should have made marks where everything was set but totally brainfarted and forgot to

here's a video of whats going on... the first attempt before touching the enricher is on and in the middle when i touch it, i turn it off... (sorry for the choppy video, it was my brothers phone)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

that darn tinkling bell got on my nerves. :shock:
vitza

Post by vitza »

hplhd wrote:that darn tinkling bell got on my nerves. :shock:
lol, ya its rather high pitched in that vid... sorry

Return to “Ignition”