65 fl starting problems

redpanhead
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 fl
00 ultra
98 sporty

65 fl starting problems

Post by redpanhead »

maybe someone could shed some light of this electrical/starting issue.
last couple years bike has hard starting problems off and on
replaced all wiring, starter solenoid, cables ,starter, generator and just last year added a starter relay.
bike still has a hard time starting sometimes i've hard to use a battery booster to get it going.
now this year after replacing the front end end re-wiring bike . the electric start will not turn over at all and barely turns the starter, not enough to even do a voltage drop test. so I took the solenoid apart and saw that the plate was kinda burned so I replaced it again ( 3rd one in two years). so i figure maybe something was hooked up wrong so after completly unhooking every elctrical connection and just reconnecting the starting circuit, ( no lights , horn, turnsignal etc) still getting the same results. I applied power directly to the starter and it seems to spin fine, but after crossing the battery terminal with the power terminal on the solenoid to does not want to even turn the starter. I'm slowly pulling my hair out over this one. last year as i said i used my battery booster to start the bike and it cranked like i think it should. was wondering would the battery which is about 3 years old be bad even though it charges and holds a charge? I did notice today after rechecking all the wiring hookups and trying it again that the battery seems to be a little hot while trying to crank the engine. any suggestion you have would be appreciated. one other thing i did notice that at one point after the ignition switch was off that i could hear noise coming from the starter solenoid, so after disconnecting the battery and reattaching with the ignition switch off i heard a noise like a click coming from the solenoid.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Re: 65 fl starting problems

Post by nmaineron »

Your battery could be bad for sure.I never had much luck after 2 years on the those old batteries.You could take it to a shop and have it load tested.As for your starter,grounding is a really big issue for good service,you might even try running an extra ground. If you have a good 12 volt battery you could hot wire it just to prove your starter system,just your starter though.good luck
redpanhead
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 fl
00 ultra
98 sporty

Post by redpanhead »

Well I finished rewiring everything, even switched the horn button to the starter button( as the starter button gets more use) still the same issue. I then tried my jump start booster box, and it cranks right over like it should, so i guess i'll look at the battery more and see if i can get it load tested. Still i'm still not 100% convinced it is the battery since those jump start boxes have about twice as many cranking amps running thru them as a battery does, but i'll certainly add another ground, someone told me some 65's had a ground strap between the starter and the tranny, but mine never did
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

redpanhead wrote:Well I finished rewiring everything, even switched the horn button to the starter button( as the starter button gets more use) still the same issue. I then tried my jump start booster box, and it cranks right over like it should, so i guess i'll look at the battery more and see if i can get it load tested. Still i'm still not 100% convinced it is the battery since those jump start boxes have about twice as many cranking amps running thru them as a battery does, but i'll certainly add another ground, someone told me some 65's had a ground strap between the starter and the tranny, but mine never did
RedPanhead!

Although ageing batteries are not trustworthy, if it "cranks over" at decent speed, other problems exist.

And there are always more than one.

It may have been more practical to have inspected and cleaned your starter button than to have switched it to another tired assembly.

The copper washer in your solenoid can be flipped to the other side for another life, although something seems to be burning it up quickly, from low voltage or whatever.

The extra ground strap on '65+ was between the regulator and a tranny stud, if I remember right.
That has nothing to do with your starter unless it somehow drains the battery.

Are you sure the bike isn't suffering from tuning problems that prevent starting?

Does it kick-start?

If not, you are chasing your tail.

....Cotten
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Are ya runnin ACCEL solenoid and/or relay? While ACCEL products may be fine for automotive use, I've never seen they work worth a damn on H-D's....bosheff
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

The horn and starter buttons were changed ( improved ) in 65 and then again in 67
in addition to the relay in 67. If you are using an after market horn button made in China,
it won't work well or long......Rod
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

the cable connections at the starter solenoid have to be; top terminal on solenoid to battery, bottom terminal on solenoid to stater motor. had all the same problems you describe on my 65. after looking ant the wiring diagram in the manual, figured out i had connections reversed. once i switched them , starter worked fine.it still sounds like you have other electrical issues. if your bike was not wired by someone who knows wiring ( namely a union electrician :D ) chances are it was not done right. 65s have alot of wiring , turn sig. starter etc. and no fuses. the smallest current leak to ground can cause problems.
suerte,
arnulfo
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

"Does it kick-start?"

^^^ This..
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

"Union electrician"?....bosheff
Underdoggie
Bikes: 1965 FL
1974 Honda XR75
1975 FXE
1975 Honda CB 750
1995 FXSTC
1999 FLHTUI

Post by Underdoggie »

In the first post you mentioned changing cables, did you change the main ground cable from the frame to the battery? Over the years I have had several problems on my 65 starting system. One time when the starter motor did not spin but lights and horn would work it turned out to be the main ground cable. It had some serious corrossion inside the black covering and you could not see it. Water probably got into it. After replacing the cable I stripped the insulation off the old one and only a few strands of wire were left, the rest was just green corrosion. Just an idea, I am no expert for sure. Another originial part I destroyed not knowing any better
Underdoggie
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

jdpan wrote:"Does it kick-start?"

^^^ This..
At risk of repeating myself,
and annoying some,

If the machine is not tuned well enough to kick-start easily,
then many of the previously mentioned problems can occur, and re-occur.

....Cotten
PS: Redpanhead! When you replaced the starter, by any chance did you save an original Delco starter?
Scrap
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

On my shovel, which is 31 years old, I have replaced a couple of solenoids. Only genuine OEM's are all I have had any success with. A number of aftermarket units were worthless.
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

If you have a starter relay, take it off and bend the two tabs on the back and remove the cover. See if the points are burnt. File them down smooth. That is all mine needed. They do get burnt over time, like any points will. Wire it properly to a battery to test, or just put it back on the bike. Mike
botakatobi
Bikes: '42 FL, '52 FL, '55, '56, '57, '62, '65 FLH's, '74 XLH, '84 XLX, '84 XR, '85 XLX, '97 evo,

Post by botakatobi »

Please suggest some reasons for this starting issue on my '65 FLH.

Sometimes the started button works as designed. Sometimes I push it and there's no sound, nothing happens. The battery was checked and it's fully charged.

Ideas guys?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

botakatobi wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:45 pm Please suggest some reasons for this starting issue on my '65 FLH.

Sometimes the started button works as designed. Sometimes I push it and there's no sound, nothing happens. The battery was checked and it's fully charged.

Ideas guys?
If you have the original '65 system all the current to the solenoid goes through the starter switch. They failed regularly which is why the relay was added on later systems. Possibly corrosion or heat damage in the switch.

Return to “Troubleshooting”