Another starting story-Question??

Linkert related issues
Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

Re: Another starting story-Question??

Post by Eric S »

Hi, Last night I got the bike to start-What I did was turn the low speed needle out quite a bit. I am not sure the exact amount of turns but it was several over the 2.5 that it was set at. After about 6-10 kicks it started but was way too rich. Smoking black and not responsive. As it warmed up I was able to correct this turning the low speed needle in until it had a nice idle and no smoke. I shut it down and did not try to start it again untill late this afternoon. It would not start so I dipped the plugs and turned the low speed needle out a lot again and it started. But I had to turn the low speed in several turns again to correct the smoke and poor idle. I waited 2.5 hours and the engine was warm but not hot and it started first kick. I am sure however if I wait till about 9 this evening it will be the same thing no start. Yes I did test the screws. The heads are STD castings but the have a plumber intake. All the adjustments I have made have been on the low speed side and the high speed is set at 1 turn. In my rambling I failed to answer that the manifold was a new Colony and I did not grind it as I was afraid to remove it again after I had tested and found no leaks. Thanks Again Eric
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Eric, I mentioned earlier about fuel flow/delivery problems, after having just identified this same issue on a friend's '56. In that case, the gas caps had too many 'layers' of cork & rubber seals, which prevented them from venting. Just wondering if you've tried starting the bike with gas caps removed, or at least loosened up?
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

^^^ You really should do this before you go any farther...
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Hi. Thank you for the advice. I read your earlier post about the gas caps and I took the ones off my pan that runs and put them on this one. Here is a new twist I just went out and kicked and kicked about 10 times and the bike did nothing. I turned the timer to full advance and it started on that kick. I had a WLA once and you never needed to retard the spark on it hot or cold. Any one have a pan that they start full advance? Thanks again for all of the help. Eric
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Starting at full advance should give you a little 'nudge' back up your leg before you even get a chance to kick it. If you haven't already done so, you should double-check the timing at full advance.
I see you tried different gas caps, but have you tried with no caps at all?
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

With the current caps installed, with the petcock open, disconnect the fuel line from the carb and see if the gas flows freely in a steady stream. Somethings keeping the gas from entering the chamber and firing.
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc »

I am not familiar with your electronic ignition system, but some have a setting for kick start vs: Electric start. On the Electric start setting, the system does not fire on the first pass of the rotor, this gives the rotating mass inertia. (which is needed on newer machines because of lighter flywheels). If your kick does not rotate the engine to the second or third pass by the pickup, no spark. On the kick setting it sparks every pass.
Maybe the full advance setting is close enough to the second pass.
You've sure worked your tail off on this one.
Good Luck.

edit: spelling
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

So it kinda sounds like a mixture problem: Adjusting the idle mix makes helps for starting, but then it idles too rich.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is your choke working properly? Does the butterfly plate do a good job of sealing off the carb throat?
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

hi eric,i notice that you tryed the palm of hand way of choking like i talked on a early post,did it work,or try 2 prime kicks,hand over carb,will it start on how many kicks?.....with respect....JR
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Same thing this morning 64 deg in garage no start rumble in through the exhaust like it was trying to start. Reset timing a little more advanced as it seems like it was firing late. Leg got sore so I dipped the plugs and got a little more activity several more kicks and 3 extra clicks rich on the low speed needle half choke it started. Warmed it up and pulled it outside where temp is 40 deg. I let it set for about 1.5 hours and engine was still slightly warm and it fired up first kick. It it setting outside now. I bet money after it fully cools it will be the same problem. I failed to mention this has a V-Twin 4spd tranny. I wonder if it could be the cause of the hard kicking? My 59 {Original engine and tranny} kicks like a 80cc dirt bike compared to this thing. and has the same number of sprocket teeth . I did try the gas caps removal with no difference.There seems to be plenty of fuel to the carb every time I have removed it it has been full . Choke is closing and opening fine and using your hand over the throat seems to have the same effect on it as using the choke.It seems the only thing that really works it to turn out the low speed needle. Thanks Eric
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

Disengage the clutch and kick it through, it should be relatively smooth and easy, if youre concerned about the trans. Any way you can install a point distributor in the motor to eliminate the electronics?
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

hi eric, to bad we live so far apart,otherwise i would go over to your place, and help you,running out of ideas over the net,need hands on help.sometimes is best to walk away,and regroup,start over.watch out for your knees,i have a totol knee replacement on the 22 of this this month,thank god it's my left knee......with respect...JR
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Thanks JR that is a very nice of you! There is a lot of good people here. Eric
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Did you try injecting fuel directly into the cyclinders (via sparkplug hole)?

I know it's not good for cylinder lubrication, but once won't hurt.

If it works, then you can be pretty certain it's not an ignition problem. Then you could focus on why fuel isn't getting into the cylinder.

steve
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

I am going to pull the manifold and pressure the nipples by themselves again and grind manifold. Got to have a leak somewhere. Damn Im getting good at taking it apart :roll: Will report findings in a couple days. Eric

Return to “Linkert”