pics of my 1963 duo-glide

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
musicnbikes
Bikes: No bikes, at the moment.

pics of my 1963 duo-glide

Post by musicnbikes »

I recently bought this. I am no expert, so can someone let me know if it looks pretty original or are there a lot of wrong parts on it?
Thanks,
Benjamin
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: pics of my 1963 duo-glide

Post by panhead_kicker »

Great looking bike! There are more knowlegable folks than I here, but I've been working on a 64 for awhile. With out more revealing shots, I'd say it looks VERY stock, except for maybe the pipes and paint?
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

Thanks! The guy I bought it from said the same thing. He also said that he didn't think that the engine had ever been apart. I checked the engine cases, thanks to a member of this board telling me how, and they match, also. I am thinking that this bike could be a good candidate to keep original and not chop up. I just need to get the tins painted.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Yeah, I'd not hack it up either. Actually, I think the paint is pretty cool too. Tune it up and Ride it!! The knowledge base in here lists the different colors of stock paint by year, but the swatches are off. check it out.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Benjamin,
You already have some good advice; don't hack it up. It looks complete, and fairly original, the way it is.

ride it and enjoy it!

just my opinion

mike
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

Musicnbikes...Man stretch it, rake it, cut the tabs n tank mounts n make a radical chopper. .....Just kidding!! Its a beautiful bike, tune it, ride it and maybe try and find original parts to replace any aftermarket parts. Nice bike. IMHO

Aloha...Mike
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

Sir_Rat wrote:Musicnbikes...Man stretch it, rake it, cut the tabs n tank mounts n make a radical chopper. .....Just kidding!! Its a beautiful bike, tune it, ride it and maybe try and find original parts to replace any aftermarket parts. Nice bike. IMHO

Aloha...Mike
I'm gonna turn it into a "captain america." lol. After reading in my "Panheads" book by Greg Fields, it states that you could have a special order solid color painted in 1963, could this maroon possibly be original paint that was special ordered? At any rate, I'm probably gonna leave it this color.
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

I like it ! I agree with the 'tune it up and ride it' advise. There might be some little issues that need attention but
you won't know what they are unless you ride it. She's a beauty.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Great looking bike. I'm running the same Paughco fish tails on one of my 60s. They sound stock under normal riding but crack that throttle and the whole hood knows you're around. Leave it just the way it is and enjoy it. Ride safe! Bob L
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Benjamin!

The first thing that caught my eye was (what appears to be) pristine anodized pan covers.
That is an indication that it may be relatively un-molested.
(Or at least maintained by someone with reverence for the original hardware.)

That alone makes the machine enviable.

But I would ditch those fishtails in a heartbeat.
They might make a great mailbox post, if you weld them together just right..

....Cotten
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

Cotten wrote:Benjamin!

The first thing that caught my eye was (what appears to be) pristine anodized pan covers.
That is an indication that it may be relatively un-molested.
(Or at least maintained by someone with reverence for the original hardware.)

That alone makes the machine enviable.

But I would ditch those fishtails in a heartbeat.
They might make a great mailbox post, if you weld them together just right..

....Cotten
Cotten,
I would like to make this bike as correct as possible. The person I bought it from seemed to think that it was pretty original. I am new to panheads, but I knew that I wanted to find one, this was local, and now I have it. If you could tell me, what kind of tail pipes should be on it and where could I find some?
Thanks, I will post some closer pics of the bike, for better views.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Not wanting to rain on yer parade, but the outer primary cover seems to be painted the same color as the rest of the unit, and the color match is about as perfect as one could ask for, so this would lead me to believe that what ya got is a repaint. I am not aware of the factory doing any paint schemes like you show in yer pic....bosheff
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

ben

very nice bike! looks to be a mostly original survivor. cotton is correct about the valve covers, nice to see it wasn't all dolled up with extra chrome.

as for the color matched primary, 1955 was the first year for the last style steel primary cover. they offered it in hollywood green with the primary, oil tank and the rest of the sheet metal painted to match. your bike probably would have had the primary painted gloss black.

however, when it came to paint anything was possible from the factory. there are many examples that have surfaced that do not fit the normal schemes as offered in the order blanks. a perfect example is dave swanson's '56 that is a civilian bike factory painted in black and white police colors.

a careful examination under the trim or tail light may reveal if the bike was a repaint or not. most folks rarely remove all of the original paint when updating the look of their machines.

by all means do what ever you like with it, but keep in mind it may be a rare example of a custom ordered bike!

enjoy your new machine and please let us know how it runs!

john
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

as an example of a color matched primary here are some shots of a '55 that is mostly original with the exception of some additional paint and pinstriping.

john

hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

i dont know if the pic of my 64 shows up but here is a pic of the egzawst. a lotta aftermarket stuff but the pipes should look like this on yours.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”