All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
musicnbikes
Bikes: No bikes, at the moment.

Re: pics of my 1963 duo-glide

Post by musicnbikes »

john HD wrote:ben

very nice bike! looks to be a mostly original survivor. cotton is correct about the valve covers, nice to see it wasn't all dolled up with extra chrome.

as for the color matched primary, 1955 was the first year for the last style steel primary cover. they offered it in hollywood green with the primary, oil tank and the rest of the sheet metal painted to match. your bike probably would have had the primary painted gloss black.

however, when it came to paint anything was possible from the factory. there are many examples that have surfaced that do not fit the normal schemes as offered in the order blanks. a perfect example is dave swanson's '56 that is a civilian bike factory painted in black and white police colors.

a careful examination under the trim or tail light may reveal if the bike was a repaint or not. most folks rarely remove all of the original paint when updating the look of their machines.

by all means do what ever you like with it, but keep in mind it may be a rare example of a custom ordered bike!

enjoy your new machine and please let us know how it runs!

john
John,
Thanks for the info. That is why I posted here, I know that you guys are very knowledgeable on these. I will try to look under the tail light to see what the original color was, hopefully, I will be able to find it. The '55 looks very nice. I will get it running soon, It does run, but the battery needs to be charged, I do not have a 6 volt charger, and it needs new spark plugs. It has Harley number 3 plugs in it, and I want to find replacements for it. Also, I want to clean it a little, underneath has a lot of grease or gunk build up, I had to scrape off a 1/2 inch to read the case numbers. I am looking forward to riding it!
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

hplhd wrote:i dont know if the pic of my 64 shows up but here is a pic of the egzawst. a lotta aftermarket stuff but the pipes should look like this on yours.
Thanks for the picture! I need to find some pipes like that.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

ben,

don't toss those number 3 plugs! they are probably servicable. i used to run mine until they got rusty, not from wear!

another place to look for clues on the paint is under the rear fender tip and under the dash.

keep us posted!

john

ps, use a low rate charger.
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

john HD wrote:ben,

don't toss those number 3 plugs! they are probably servicable. i used to run mine until they got rusty, not from wear!

another place to look for clues on the paint is under the rear fender tip and under the dash.

keep us posted!

john

ps, use a low rate charger.
John,
I will see if I can service these plugs. I plan on removing the rear tail light and dash to see if the original paint is underneath. I will follow up. I am not too good at kicking it, it takes me a while to start it, but I guess it could be a number of things, mainly rider error. Being that I am new to the idea of kick starting, I do not really grasp the concept of the choke, the left hand spark retard control(?) (I do not know the name of that control. lol.) So far I have been turning the choke all the way open, then kicking two or three times, then choke off, left control partially open, ignition on, then kicking it, while turning the throttle. once it starts, I turn the left control off, and have had trouble at idle, it doesnt seem to want to, if I hold the throttle on it is god, when I close the throttle, it dies. Could it need some carb work? I am trying to find someone who can tune it up, and just generally check it out. Can wait to ride it, though!
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

The color looks kinda' looks like this hi-fi purple original paint '63
normal_fc3664425c09af22fb26910f0aae8707.jpg
normal_fc3664425c09af22fb26910f0aae8707.jpg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

musicnbikes,

It sounds like from your description when the bike dies that your are retarding the timer; the left grip.

You want the "left grip",the timer advance to be turned partially "retarded position" open when you go to start the bike. Once the bike starts, you want to turn the timing advance fully open, meaning turn the grip towards you; this turns, sets the timer in :full advance "counter-clockwise position where it should stay while running. If you are "retarding" the grip this is retarding the timing and will slow down the engine like you describe. The bike should idle in the fully retarded position if the carb is properly adjusted.
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

DuoGlide62 wrote:The color looks kinda' looks like this hi-fi purple original paint '63
I found some other pics on the internet that called their paint hi-fi purple, that looks similar, then I found one that doesn't. Here they are.
I will post one of mine for comparison.
hifipurple.jpg
hifipurple.jpg (111.63 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
a_1965_Harley_Scat_Restored.jpg
a_1965_Harley_Scat_Restored.jpg (16.54 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
61XLCH.jpg
61XLCH.jpg (77.12 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
and mine:
hifipurple2.jpg
hifipurple2.jpg (119.69 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
I would think that the top picture would be hi-purple, not the others. But I have never seen an original hi-fi purple. Maybe some of you guys can shed some light.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Ben:

I had the same problem starting/idling. Turns out it was the adjustment of the low speed jet. This is one the right side of the carb when you're looking at it. Turn that jet all the way in and then out 5 complete turns. Start the bike, take it for a ride to get it warmed up. Adjust the idle screw (top of the carb where the cable connects) to a reasonable idle speed. Turn the low speed adjustment in until the engine starts to die. Then turn it back out 5 to 10 clicks. Repeat these two adjustments as required.

The manual (which you can find in the knowledge base) describes this process in much better detail.

Of course if you have a leak in the intake manifold you will have to rectify this first. Check the knowledge base.

Welcome the world of panhead tuning !!

Steve
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

ozwick86 wrote:musicnbikes,

It sounds like from your description when the bike dies that your are retarding the timer; the left grip.

You want the "left grip",the timer advance to be turned partially "retarded position" open when you go to start the bike. Once the bike starts, you want to turn the timing advance fully open, meaning turn the grip towards you; this turns, sets the timer in :full advance "counter-clockwise position where it should stay while running. If you are "retarding" the grip this is retarding the timing and will slow down the engine like you describe. The bike should idle in the fully retarded position if the carb is properly adjusted.

Thanks for explaining the timer advance control. I will be riding in no time, hopefully.
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

Steve, I am going to try adjusting the "timing advance control", and see if that helps. If not I will then proceed to your suggestion. This is going to be a lot of trial and error for me, but I am looking forward to it.
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

here's one
Attachments
Pete1 copy.jpg
Pete1 copy.jpg (61.13 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

DuoGlide62 wrote:here's one
I like that color.
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Some times (((((((((Sound))))))))) takes preference over Purr....formance and Thats why i Love my drag pipes !
Plus chrome is very hard to weld !

IF.......you like the duel fish tails....Don't Yah remove them!.....Oh and i would Love to ride along side you and hear them crackle.
It's got to be true that......LOUD Pipes save Lives !

I bet more Bmws and Gold Wings get near run over all the time........beings they are soooooooooooooooo dang quiet!
MCM*
Attachments
BMWsign.jpg
BMWsign.jpg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
musicnbikes

Post by musicnbikes »

that is a great billboard! For now I am going to leave the bike like this, and just ride it. I think the fishtails look cool, and have no problem with them.

Thanks for posting it, I have never seen that before. Loud and proud!
monaco
Bikes: 2 Harley Davidsons

Post by monaco »

I purchased a 1963 panhead back in March of 2015 which was hi-fi purple also. Looking at the website, it looks like this could be the bike. I bought it from a guy in Wisconsin who got it from a guy in Illinois. I was wondering if this is the bike. Did you sell it? If so, I would like more information about it. Thanks, Tom

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”