Linkert on a shovel???????

Linkert related issues
A street
Inactive member

Linkert on a shovel???????

Post by A street »

Forgive me father for I have put shovel heads on a pan motor. For several years I have been collecting parts from old friends from the 60's and early 70's and anywhere else I could get them to build as close to a stock 'birthyear bike' [1949] as I could for many reasons other than it was my birth year. Almost every part was pretty hammered, rusted or both but to my suprise I managed to get about 90% original parts by fixing everything. The only pan heads I could come up with in my income bracket were so far gone that I couldn't afford to even fix any I came up with. So a good friend donated a set of early shovel heads and barrels in great shape and they are on the engine and in the frame. My personal hell is that I remember how great stock the old Linkerts are and have a good one that I want to run instead of the CV I have but am told by everyone I talk to that It won't pass enough air to give the engine what it needs. I have 80 c.i. shovel flywheels and 8.5 to 1 compression, low geared with an Andrews J cam. I'm not going to hot rod this bike but I want it to pull strong two up over the mountain. I can see the Linkert will stick out a bit more than I like with the manifold jive I will have to do but there is just something wrong to me about going the 'safe route' with a CV even though it makes sense and I might wind up there. Any body got any experience or thoughts about this? Thanks of course in advance.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Linkert on a shovel???????

Post by Bosheff »

Why not run a Bendix or Kehein? Both can be made to run respectfully and the need to morph up an intake manifold will be eliminated. Basically, rejetting on some editions will be just about mandatory for peak performance. Most were to lean from the factory. 76 and 77 Keheins are a good choice as they have an adjustable idle/air screw. The newer the Kehein the leaner they were jetted from the factory to meet emission standards. I'm sure many would recommend the S&S, but personally I have no use for them. Ever thought aabout an S.U....bosheff
A street
Inactive member

Post by A street »

Thanks for the perspective and ideas Bosheff. If I had one, I might run it. One of factors here is that I have a perfect CV already. If common wisdom is that if that Linkert can't cut it [probably] then it's a lot easier to put on the CV. They sound like quite the deal. Maybe the Linkert would just be a governer. I don't want to give up top speed though. I just don't have to get there right away. I'm a mopar flathead six kind of guy when it comes to carb tech. and I had a couple of one kick bikes in the bad old days with Linkerts. Thanks
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

I've never run the H-D CV carb but lots of guys are runnin em with thumbs up results I'm told. As far as the Linkert restricting yer top end, I really don't think it would make that big a difference, but I could be wrong. The real difference in my opinion would be how quick ya got there....bosheff
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

The 40mm CV will work like a charm.If you want to run the Linkert all you need is one of the old aftermarket adaptors that adapted a linkert manifold to a 2 bolt carb.Just turn it around.If I were doing it I would cut the adaptor in half and shorten it as much as I could then weld it back together.This would reduce the "stick out factor".Either carb will pass plenty of air for your purpose.
A street
Inactive member

Post by A street »

Thanks for chiming in Steinauge. I took your advice a couple of years ago and am glad I did. I was hoping of course that Mr. Cotton would also favor me with an opinion. I've taken his advice also. It seems like somebody else in the course of history has done this for their own reasons but I'm sure that when people put shovel heads on pans they were looking for more performance and went mega carb. thanks
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

A street wrote: I was hoping of course that Mr. Cotton would also favor me with an opinion.
A Street!

My opinion is that any choice of a carb on a custom will work every bit as as good as the owner thinks it looks.

....Cotten
A street
Inactive member

Post by A street »

Ouch! Just because I have an overly verbaged and familiar style of writing doesn't mean I'm not serious about this Cotton. I guess it's somewhat about looks.... I don't want to see anything but a Linkert on there if I can help it, for several good non-shallow reasons. I'm actually wondering things like is it important to have the bore on the manifold side continue at 1 1/2" for the correct vacuum through the carb? Is the phenolic spacer enough? Or can I go without it to keep things short. Seems like this setup would run cooler than the stock pan intake because it will be 'out in the wind farther'. I can weld up a short flange on a steel intake manifold I have but the butterfly would be IN the manifold. Doesn't seem quite right. Thanks for all replies.
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

I have a round HD air cleaner on my '72 Shovel, with a CV carb. I think you can by the adapters, but I got mine from John here in his "garage sale", and it works fine. The linkerts are fine, too, of course. I have a SU I would like to use someday, and I hear they work pretty good too, so just take your pick. Of course, you can pick up CV's for cheap,and all parts are readily available. S&S work, but they just dump gas in, and lots of it.
Mike
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi A Street

I have a 51 Pan with a set of STD heads which are basically Shovelheads as far as the valves and intake manifold are concerned. I too wanted to switch to a Linkert from my present Bendix but when I mocked up the Linkert it and the air cleaner stuck out so far I couldnt get to the rear brake pedal.

My Bendix works just fine and all of the bros I know who are running CVs swear by them.

Good to hear you are close to getting her on the road.

King
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

You can always run a brake peddle extension. It helps in situations when the carb/aircleaner stick out a bunch....bosheff
A street
Inactive member

Post by A street »

Thanks for the replies. I had a friend with a generator shovel drop by yesterday with a S and S you could drive a truck through and got to see how it will all fit on the ground with a seat and footboards [mine's on a stand]. It will work if I stay short on the flange mod, don't use the spacer, and it would be helpful if I could find an air cleaner element that is an inch shorter before I build a home for it. I do worry about the butterfly opening up so close to the actual intake. Will the back cylinder get more mix because of the way the butterfly deflects it at cruising speed or will the air evenly pass it on both sides? Does anyone have an opinion about maintaining the 1 1/2' bore past the carb? I will have a 1/2" plate bored the 1 1/2" to mate the flanges so that might help. Thanks again, and yes it will be good to finally see this thing on the road! Ro
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

A street wrote:Forgive me father for I have put shovel heads on a pan motor. For several years I have been collecting parts from old friends from the 60's and early 70's and anywhere else I could get them to build as close to a stock 'birthyear bike' [1949] as I could for many reasons other than it was my birth year. Almost every part was pretty hammered, rusted or both but to my suprise I managed to get about 90% original parts by fixing everything. The only pan heads I could come up with in my income bracket were so far gone that I couldn't afford to even fix any I came up with. So a good friend donated a set of early shovel heads and barrels in great shape and they are on the engine and in the frame. My personal hell is that I remember how great stock the old Linkerts are and have a good one that I want to run instead of the CV I have but am told by everyone I talk to that It won't pass enough air to give the engine what it needs. I have 80 c.i. shovel flywheels and 8.5 to 1 compression, low geared with an Andrews J cam. I'm not going to hot rod this bike but I want it to pull strong two up over the mountain. I can see the Linkert will stick out a bit more than I like with the manifold jive I will have to do but there is just something wrong to me about going the 'safe route' with a CV even though it makes sense and I might wind up there. Any body got any experience or thoughts about this? Thanks of course in advance.

Forgiven my child. For it is i that has recently done the same. The Lord says, for he who has a 45 degree v twin between his legs decides himself wether he goes upstairs or down. The music is better downstairs though.
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

On a serious note, i love Linkerts. M74b is just a beauty of a carb, you can tune it why you ride it, and they are just easy to live with.

Return to “Linkert”