Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Victory Cam (H cam)

Post by Bigincher »

I'm looking for a source for a direct replacement for the 'Victory' cam, and I believe this was also called the H cam. Or is the Victory the same as the FLH cam? Or is the 'H' and the 'FLH' the same thing?
In the old days, I think the Sifton 412 was a real close replacement. I don't see that one available any more, but looks like they call it the "Aristocrat" now. I know Sifton sold out a few years ago, did Tedd buy them??
I will call Andrews later today and see what they have to offer.
So.... does anyone have the specs on the 'Victory' cam??

TIA
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: Victory Cam (H cam)

Post by steinauge »

The old FLH cam is indeed the "Victory" cam. "Sifton" is now chink garbage.That buzzing noise you hear is Tom Sifton spinning in his grave.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

That's what I thought, steinauge. Thanks.

I called Andrews. The cam they offer that they call the "H" cam is nowhere near the old stock Harley H cam. Nuff sedd. So now I'm looking for a reproduction FLH cam. If I had the specs for it, I could compare it to what's offered these days. Anybody have any suggestions where to look for the specs? Andrews did say they'd grind me a custom cam if I have the specs. Heck, that only costs $485...!!
I've got an Andrews J grind in excellent shape, I was thinking about running that one before my motor guy recommended the FLH cam, and others here confirmed that.
Can I ask you guys what cam you're running...? Looking for opinions. (I know, I know---- asking what cam to run is one of the most common, most boring, and most personally opinionated questions on these forums..... :) Motor will be bone stock, riding style will be all-around average riding, but I want a little 'pep'. )
Thanks to all for the good help so far.
socalpig
Bikes: 1960 FL

Post by socalpig »

i have a used H cam original HD from my '60. it is in very good condition. the bearing end has some pitting from setting in the motor for a while. some say no way don't run it with pitting others say no big deal. i would take $50 plus what ever it costs to mail it to you. i am in socal. send me a message if you have any questions or are interested
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Bigincher,
The closest thing you might find is the older Sifton 412. It has the basic specs of the Victory cam but with one important difference. All Victory(FLH was never an H-D name for it! All are marked with an H!) cams were originally designed for hydraulic lifters. The 412 has modified opening and closing ramps to be more friendly with solid lifters. The stock Victory cam when run with solids is a litle harsh and harder on valve train components. in your '52 the factory hydraulic pushrods are not a good option for a victory cam. They will ALWAYS bleed down from the cam action and rattle or worse. Solid lifters are best but should be used with a ramped cam. Who the best source is currently I do not know. Most of what I.i have been doing is all stock parts and i have not tried Siftons off-shore product. Now don't get me wrong, an old Victory will work just fine, but it tends to be noisier and a little harder on the reciprocating bits!
Robbie

Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Thank-you very much, Robbie!

I am running an old Sifton 412 in my '41/'59 panhead. I installed it in 1975. I'm trying to remember, but I think it had an FLH (okay, I'll call it an 'H') cam in it when I bought it. I know I still have that cam stashed away somewhere, I'll have to dig to get to it. But given your information on the lobe ramps, maybe I oughta keep looking. I'll take steinauge's word that the modern Siftons are junk. Maybe I'm getting too worked up over this-- the description of the Andrews J-grind says "smooth idle, more power throughout the rpm range", and no modifications required. Heck, that's what I want, anyway.....

I'm not done with this, though.

socalpig, I appreciate the offer, and I will keep it in mind.
66FLH
Bikes: 1966 FLH

Post by 66FLH »

I got a NOS H cam from a dealer in Illinois about three years ago. I beleive they produced these thru the 1980's. Might could get a dealer search one for you.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Thanks, 66FLH. I'm on it.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

As I recall the box has a part number and states "Victory Cam" as a description. When opened the cam is merely marked "H".
Robbie
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Post by old1955 »

G'day Bigincher,

I been running the Andrews J grind in both my bikes (55,65) and very happy with it, idle is just like stock and
loads of torque still, and a nice turn of speed when needed, running hydraulics in the 55 and solids in the 65.
I was so impressed with it in my 55, I put one in the 65 too, and this solved a couple other probs. I was having too.

Drop down to 35 mph in top gear ,in town and then pull away to a higher speed, easy!

I swapped out a 'BH' in the 65 for a 'J' grind, haven't found much difference, except better torque at the bottom
end with the 'J', which to me is better for the way I ride. And there is no valve spring spacing required, but I
didn't believe them, so I checked it anyway. There was plenty of clearance in both my bikes.

Pete
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Thanks, old1955. I've been looking at a lot of cam specs the last few days, and I've pretty much come to the conclusion to run the 'J'-grind. It's actually pretty mild, but has good low-end torque, as you say. The motor came with the J-grind in it, and it looks to be in good shape, so I'll probably just put it back in it, if my motor guy doesn't find anything wrong with it.
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

I ran the H in my stock '61 Pan for 15 years then when I did the engine 10 years ago I put the J in it, still with the hydraulics. I like the way it feels, and I have been all over the U.S. on it, but for some reason, in the back of my head, I know that next time I tear it down the H will go back in. I am not sure why or what that means, but it will go back in. That tells me that it did not make that much of a difference and something about the STOCK H is better for all around, general purpose use. FWIW
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Thanks Indianut. I always value your opinon.

I was actually able to locate an NOS 'Victory' cam, although it doesn't say "Victory" on the box, and there is no 'H' stamped into the end of the shaft. It's in an AMF box, so probably for a shovelhead, and has the correct -56 part number. However-- the box has been opened, so ..... is the cam in the box really the one that was in the box before it was opened, or has someone done a switcheroo? The camshaft does not have the gear attached as part of it. My question for the guys in the know here, is the gear pressed on?
My gut tells me pass on it--- primarily because the box is opened, and there's no guarantee of what the item really is. But I was mainly curious about the gear-- pressed on or an integral part of the unit?
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Bigincher,
I just walked out and took one out of a drawer and the gear is pressed on. I'll try to check another one I have tomorrow to see if it is too. However, I have NEVER seen one not marked with the H!
Robbie
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

I have run that Sweet Andrews " J " grind on my 56FLH for way over 10 years and it's a great cam.......smooth idle.....slightly more POWER and accelerates like a Striped Ass Monkey Going UP a Tree!
Yes i still run my Hydraulic lifters.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”