Bikes: 1951 EL
1968 FLH
1949 Pan/Shovel
1947 FL
1960 Model G Servi-Car
1987 FLHTP with Texas Sidecar

Exhaust valve rotators for Panheads

Post by knuckgush »

Hi everyone. I'm at a point in assembling my 1951 Panhead engine, and was wondering what is the consensus about putting the Exhaust Valve Rotator Mechanism (PN 18234-52) on a Panhead as explained on page 81 of the Panhead Service manual. I have a set of them, and before I install them, I'd like to hear any comments - pro or con. Thanks!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Exhaust valve rotators for Panheads

Post by RUBONE »

Just look at the short time period the factory used them before returning to the previous style and your question will be answered!
Robbie
knuckgush
1968 FLH
1949 Pan/Shovel
1947 FL
1960 Model G Servi-Car

Post by knuckgush »

Thanks Robbie. How long did the factory offer these exhaust valve rotators? My info tells me 1952 to 1958. That's 7 years. What really is the downside, besides the stated precaution of not dropping them off the valve stems during assembly and blocking the return flow of oil and possibly getting caught in the springs & moving mechanisms...? If they stay put, would it really reduce head warpage and burned exhaust valves since the ex valves would move in a circular motion slightly all the time, and not always hit the same spot? Just some food for thought I'm chewing on...
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

I'll admit I have no answer at all here, just a related question.

don't valves, in just about any motor, rotate to some degree on their own? There's nothing that I remember seeing that would hold a valve in an exact position. sorta makes me believe that it wouldn't be possible for a valve to hit the valve seat in exactly the same spot each time even if you wanted that to happen.

where might I be going wrong in my thinking?
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Little Al:

There is no guarantee that a standard valve set up will NOT rotate, but there is also no guarante that it will.

If you think about how the valve stem is pinched by the tapered keys at the top, inside the tapered hole in the top spring collar, and also how tightly the collars and spring are pressed together, and how the bottom collar presses against the head/valve guide, then it seems unlikey that there will be a lot of rotation. After all, what is there to cause any rotation?
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

ok Andy, what you say makes perfect sense, even to mentally challenged me, lol

I guess I was just thinking (especially with solid lifters) all that movement... you get my drift.

anyway, thanks for setting me straight
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i had rotators on my '55 when i got it.

on the advice from my motor guy i removed them.

his reasons were: 1 they do not work 2 they are prone to snapping off the tip of the valve with predictable results 3 they are a pain in the butt because they can fall off if the head is flipped upside down.

john
knuckgush
1968 FLH
1949 Pan/Shovel
1947 FL
1960 Model G Servi-Car

Post by knuckgush »

In response to Andy...The exhaust Valve rotators are what is supposed to let the valves rotate slightly, pushed by the escaping exhaust gasses. The rotators bypass the direct connection of the rocker arm to the valve stem end, and actually push down, slightly, on the keepers themselves. Thereby loosening them, just enough, to let the valve move by these turbulent exhaust gasses. At least that's what I understand the factory theory was back then. I just wonder if anyone has heard of the rotators (caps) breaking because of their thinness. (I am aware of the danger of them falling off during installation, but besides that, if that goes OK, is breakage the danger...?)
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

DONT use them!--Richie--It was a bad idea then, so dont use them now! :!: Many motors ended-up in the shop for topends. I have never put them on any pan-top I had to do. It was a idea that sounded good in theory OLNY!--Your valves will rotate on thier own!-(Thats how they keep that little clean ring on the seats when you popem apart) If they didnt We would be all kickin to death. You dont need rotators for a valve to move. 8)
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I think he probably has his valve job done by now...
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Unless the valve stem's contact surface and the rocker arm pad are exactly parallel, the rocker will tend to rotate the stem as it passes across the top by dragging 1 edge. The shovelhead rocker box has the shafts inclined 1° to the head surface to ensure this; no idea whether a similar function is incorporated in the panhead.

The entire valve assembly (valve, spring, locks, collar) is rotated by the spring as it compresses, then reverse-rotated as it relaxes. If these forces are not exactly balanced, the valve will rotate slightly in each cycle.

Don't worry about it.

Return to “Motor”