62FL case # ?

Identification of case numbers and cylinder heads
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: 62FL case # ?

Post by Robert Luland »

Bosheff wrote:Oh No! Not the mythical 1947 Harley-Davidson Panhead....bosheff
No,No! Your thinking of the 55 swing arm frame with the wishbone front end that was for export only. lol!
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Luke wrote:Thanks for the input Robert. I will say though the pitting is not only on the pad there is some on other parts of the case that is similar looking. How thick should the # pad be.

Robert Luland wrote:Guys I’ve been following this thread and I just got to chime in. Forget the odds and evens and production numbers for a minute and get down to the basics. With my limited knowledge I will put forth the following. First Luke. The numbers are to perfect. Up until 64 (I’m doing this off the top of my head) The year was struck with a single die. This was done at another part of the factory. The year for the most part will be a lighter indentation do to the fact they were punching two numbers at the same time. The FL(H) and numbers were punched in down the line. They had no guide when they did this. The letters and numbers were all over the place. The year on the other hand was always placed nice and neatly. The pad is to thin in my book. Notice the pitting on the pad. This is a dead give away of bad heliarc. 62Pan. Forget about it. That vin is so bad, I’m surprised it wasn’t on the back of a flat bed already with a State Trooper standing next to it. To everybody here. You’d be amazed what you can do with glass beader to blend things. Every meet I go to I study numbers and take pictures for my data base. Guys remember the year number thing first. Go out and look at a few vins and you will see what I'm putting fourth. Just my thirteen cents. Ride safe lads. Bob L
Luke as I said earlier. I do the simple things first. I should have written it clearer. Pad thickness and pitting is the first thing I look for. There's a big difference between casting pitting and a bad weld job bubbling. Like I said. Before ya drive your self nuts doing the number thing. Look for the oddveuse. File marks, pad thickness and bad welding stand out like a sour thumb. Bob L
Robert Luland

Post by Robert Luland »

TimmyV wrote:
Cotten wrote: I seriously doubt that there was any limitation on how much a production (belly) serial can exceed a VIN serial .
It is generally accepted that the VIN should be lower, and certainly not match, however a replacement case may have made it possible.

...Cotten
Now y'all really got me thinking. The VIN on my bike is 61FLH 71XX. :?:

Those numbers look fine to me. Notice again the year that was done with a single punch. See how nice and square it is to the pad. As far as I know this stamp was done before the motor went to the line. Look at the rest of the vin. there all over the place. This is what I meant by to perfect but I sure there were those days when the boys showed up at the line sober. Bob L
TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

I'm glad the VIN looks good to you, others have said the same. Now, if common knowledge says that the VIN should be lower than the belly numbers, mine is no where close to being lower :?:
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Now, if common knowledge says that the VIN should be lower than the belly numbers, mine is no where close to being lower :?:
No, common knowledge says the VIN should be higher. The belly numbers were stamped as part of the machining process was completed. The VIN later on the assembly line. But I still say not a lot later as the factory was not sitting on hundreds of sets of machined cases for a long period of time.
Robbie
Robert Luland

Post by Robert Luland »

As far as I know. Belly numbers were done in clumps. 25 or more at a clip with the same production number. I agree though, that it's not going to be that far off the vin count. Another thing that I thought of today that I forgot to mention about the too perfect thing. As I stated earlier that the year stamp was done in a different place in the plant. Well I have only seen two factory replacement cases to date and the numbers were absolutely perfect. I mean regiment to the point you would say they were bogus hands down. This leads me to believe that these numbers were punched in by the same department that did the year numbers. Something to think about. Bob L
Robert Luland

Post by Robert Luland »

Speeding Big Twin wrote:Bob, I have some questions for you. You stated: ‘The numbers are to perfect. Up until 64 (I’m doing this off the top of my head) The year was struck with a single die. This was done at another part of the factory. The year for the most part will be a lighter indentation do to the fact they were punching two numbers at the same time. The FL(H) and numbers were punched in down the line. They had no guide when they did this. The letters and numbers were all over the place.’

1. If the year was struck with a single die up until 64, what year did that practice begin?
2. Was that practice strictly adhered to for every year it was in place?
3. Was that practice strictly adhered to for every serial number of every year it was in place?
4. You stated: ‘This was done at another part of the factory.’ I’ve heard this before but I don’t have it in my books or notes so can you please advise where your info is from.
5. What happened after 64? Single die? No?
6. You also stated: ‘Every meet I go to I study numbers and take pictures for my data base.’ So can you please post several photos of 1962 Panhead serial numbers. Eric
Sorry I never saw this. The 64 thing is wrong on my part. There's a 65 right here in the data base that clearly shows the double stamp was still being used. A couple of years ago I was at the Rhinebeck meet walking the time line. I remember spotting some thing on a later bike. I must have gone back in forth ten times looking at the vins between the two years trying to figure what was different when it hit me. The later wasn't done with a double stamp on the year. It was stupidity on my part that I didn't mark it down. I normally don't pay attention to anything over 1960 but in the future I will. I will post a lot of shots here this summer. I got my stuff scattered over three hard drives right now. As far as the factory thing goes with the factory year stamp, I've had that piece of info in my head for as long as I can remember. Where it came from is beyond me but with what I've learned later I got to believe it's on the level.
WARNING: Keep in mind people that the art of vin number photography can be very hazardous! First there's the speedo cable and if it's foot shift. The linkage rod in the way and there's a third hazard. Some 350 pound brain dead testosterone driven gorilla that's about to smack your heads though your ass cheeks because he feels your violating the only thing he's got next to the trailer he lives in.
Good night people Bob L
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

The VIN's in the Gallery are only visible for members of this forum.
TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

RUBONE wrote:
Now, if common knowledge says that the VIN should be lower than the belly numbers, mine is no where close to being lower :?:
No, common knowledge says the VIN should be higher. The belly numbers were stamped as part of the machining process was completed. The VIN later on the assembly line. But I still say not a lot later as the factory was not sitting on hundreds of sets of machined cases for a long period of time.
Robbie
Thanks for clearing that up for me Robbie. I was simply quoting what Cotten had said in an earlier post in this thread. It makes sense to me that the belly numbers would have come first. However, that still leaves the fact that my belly numbers are not close to the VIN by a long shot. VIN = 61FLH71XX, belly #s = 161 36xx A...

sometimes this numbers stuff makes my head hurt. :mrgreen:
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Timmy V
That difference likely has to do with the odd-even year thing. If the belly numbers were sequential and the year was stamped as an odd or even only number they would eventually be very far apart. IMHO
Robbie
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

RUBONE wrote:Timmy V
That difference likely has to do with the odd-even year thing. If the belly numbers were sequential and the year was stamped as an odd or even only number they would eventually be very far apart. IMHO
Robbie
I think Robbie has the answer here, the odd-even VIN numbering would definitely cause a big difference in any correlation between VIN numbers and production numbers, even more so toward the end of the production year.

The 1961 VIN that Bob posted above seems to verify that the odd-even system was in use at the time, the total Duo-Glide production for 61 was only 4,927 units.

mike
TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

I really appreciate all of the information guys. I learn from this site all the time. Sounds like I was worried 'bout nothing.
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Robbie,
I think you are right too. I just checked six bikes made before the odd even thing and only one 1937 had a vin higher than its belly. But two 1965 bikes have vins thousands higher than the bellys.

I guess that's why Mr. Palmer didnt say it should be higher or lower because there was never a rule. Common knowledge is wrong either way.

R'spectf'lly,
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

one could figure that the employees stamped then bored the cases, threw them in a pile or a bin.

when they started to assemble the bikes the last ones made were used first. because the first ones made were at the bottom of the bin/shelf/pile.

just a theory anyway.

john
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

H-D's numberin system for the most part is like sex...There ain't no rules....bosheff

Return to “Cases / Heads”