hard starting 65 fl

Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: hard starting 65 fl

Post by Cotten »

Fourthgear!

Yes, the common 33900-59 switch used prior to '65 (as well as late '73 through early '79, and then '79-'98 5-speeds), grounded through a switch with a single lead.
But the first electric start models used 71507-64 with two terminals, as you mentioned, that broke the continuity of the line instead of grounding. The wires were secured with hairpin-clips.
Then 71507-64A evolved to use screws, I don't know when.

....Cotten
Underdoggie
Bikes: 1965 FL
1974 Honda XR75
1975 FXE
1975 Honda CB 750
1995 FXSTC
1999 FLHTUI

Post by Underdoggie »

Cotten wrote:Fourthgear!

Yes, the common 33900-59 switch used prior to '65 (as well as late '73 through early '79, and then '79-'98 5-speeds), grounded through a switch with a single lead.
But the first electric start models used 71507-64 with two terminals, as you mentioned, that broke the continuity of the line instead of grounding. The wires were secured with hairpin-clips.
Then 71507-64A evolved to use screws, I don't know when.

....Cotten
Tom, post that picture you took of my original swith witht the little clips.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Mr. U!

It would take some time to research my photo archives, so let this clip from the 65 Parts Book suffice.
HAIRPIN.jpg
....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
65eglide
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 fl
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic

Post by 65eglide »

NightShift wrote:Dear 65eglide,
I know 1965 didnt come with one but a relay might make a difference.

tHeY wAS sTUpId.

R'spectfully,

I was told the 65's did come with a starter relay, but after looking further into it I see now it didn't.
tried it again tonight, barely turns the starter over a couple of times, then nothing battery is a 12.25volts
I did notice that during this the neutral lights goes out, let off the button back on again
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Service Bulletin #532 (01-17-66) states that starting on 12-15-65 motorcycles starting with serial number 66FLH-8509 were assembled with a starter relay. Adds at the end that the relay is available in a kit form for 65 and E-66 models which do not have it. Cost a whopping $2.90 for it.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Keep in mind that those was 1966 dollars. Minimun wage in Michigan at that time was about $.85. I'm guessin the reason yer neutral indicator light is going out when ya hit the starter button is yer puttin a tremendous draw on the battery. You may have a direct short somewhere or possibly a loose connection, bad solonoid, or bad starter motor, maybe even a bad battery. Check and recheck all connections. Battery cables/ ends may be a possibility also. Is the starter shaft binding in/against the outer primary? How bout the bearing in the outer primary that the starter shaft rides in? Is the starter shaft gear meshing properly with the gear on the end of the starter motor? If you haven't already disassembled the entire starter system, you might want to do an exploratory. Could the starter shaft be bent?....bosheff
65eglide
Inactive member
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic

Post by 65eglide »

I'll have to go back and check all the connections, as I said in a previous post starter, solenoid, battery cables, generator, battery and all the bike wiring are new. don't really think it a bent shaft, as when I hook up a jumper box directly to the battery the starter fly's turning over, like it should, that box is also 500 cranking amps. I'm going to order a relay today to see if that cures the problem
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

Did the tranny switch actually interupt the starter circuit on the 65's, or just work the neutral light? I know on the Shovels it did both, but not sure on the 1965 FLH.
Mike
65eglide
Inactive member
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic

Post by 65eglide »

ya one side goes to the ignition switch then over to a terminal plate, same one that the starter button is hooked up to
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Was your batt. showing 12.25 when starter was engaged or with no load on it . If you are showing only 12.25 with no electrical load , your batt. is showing low voltage . I like to see batt. voltage at least 12.5 & above for a fully charged battery.
Try turning her over with the plugs removed to see how the starter mtr turns over the motor . Should spin it over pretty easy with no lugging or skipping.

Does the starter stay engaged when the neu. light goes out ?
65eglide
Inactive member
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic

Post by 65eglide »

battery was showing 12.75 today, installed the starter relay, still had a hard time starting ( first time this winter) so i kicked it through, let it idle for a few then tried it again. started right up with more power to the starter than before. it's been sitting at around 45 degrees most of the time inside so could with that and the heavy oil, just not enough fire it up along with the starter. gonna let my garage warm up a bit and try it again in a few hours ......
65eglide
Inactive member
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic

Post by 65eglide »

well tried again when it was cold after adding the relay, it started but it still seems the starter is not turning over very fast
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

You said you replaced all the wires. Did u make sure u replaced them with the correct guage wires? Are all your wire terminals soldered? Crimps got no place on any bike let alone a HD. What about the solenoid? There is a big flat copper washer in there, the full starting voltage passes through it ..if it gets all pitted up it will start working intermittantly at times and also at times draw off alot of the volts/amps you need to crank yer engine over thus making it sluggish as you described. When it comes to the starter circut I suggest you stay with Genuine parts or at least by the highest quality parts you can get. I've seen that after market shit fail right out of the package. Get a battery tester and test the thing ...good luck

Aloha,
Mike
65eglide
Inactive member
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic

Post by 65eglide »

Sir_Rat wrote:You said you replaced all the wires. Did u make sure u replaced them with the correct guage wires? Are all your wire terminals soldered? Crimps got no place on any bike let alone a HD. What about the solenoid? There is a big flat copper washer in there, the full starting voltage passes through it ..if it gets all pitted up it will start working intermittantly at times and also at times draw off alot of the volts/amps you need to crank yer engine over thus making it sluggish as you described. When it comes to the starter circut I suggest you stay with Genuine parts or at least by the highest quality parts you can get. I've seen that after market shit fail right out of the package. Get a battery tester and test the thing ...good luck

Aloha,
Mike

replaced all the wires with a complete wiring harness all connections already on there, same gauge wires that I took off, same cloth covered kit, the solenoid is new this past summer , see nothing wrong with it looks clean and brand new. tested battery yesterday also that was right at it's peak. think I'll try to post a video when starting this thing maybe it's just me and used to my 2000 ultra the way it starts. I know it won't start anywhere near that but seems it should turn over faster
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Okay guys, help me out here. I'm deployed overseas with no access to my parts manuals...

On the 65, how does the starter engage the clutch basket? Is it a lever and nose gear that is pushed into place by the soleniod?

That's how it worked on my old Chubblehead, but I'm not familiar with the 65 Pan.

If that is the case, is it possible that the lever and nose gear are not working properly? That would explain the starter failing to engage, and if the solenoid is using too much current to try and force the gear into place, perhaps there isn't enough power left over to turn the engine over as fast as one would expect?

Thoughts?

Return to “Troubleshooting”