Drive chain recommendations

Drive Chain, any recommendations?

57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Drive chain

Post by 57pan »

This thread showed just in the nick of time. I was planning on ordering a new chain for "Mo" today. I am planning on ordering the Diamond XDL because the catalog says it has "oil impregnated bushings".

My question is: How often do you have to re-lube the XDL chain?

Another, more general question: What is the proper way to lube a chain? I feel like I'm wasting my time just spraying lube on the chain because that just gets lube on the outside surfaces of the chain where it gets flung off (all over my whitewalls) as soon as you start riding. Where you really need the lube is at the interface between the pin and bushing and it seems to me that very little, if any, lube is going to get in there just by spraying lube on the chain.
Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL »

57Pan
Good questions, I was wondering the same things.
I ordered the XDL chain because I am too cheap to pay over twice the price for the O-Ring chain & I remember reading somewhere in a past thread & as King mentioned here, that the O-Ring chain would not work with the 25-tooth trans sprocket, which is what I will be running, but wanted something better than a standard chain.
I don't know if the XDL is any better or not, but am going to find out.
It would be nice to hear from some that have experience with it.

Red
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

The old drill was to wash ones chain in kerosene. Let it drip then blow it with air. Then put it in a pan covering it with 30 wt oil and heat it over a hot plate (not too hot your'e not frying chicken). Then let it stand for a while to allow the oil to soak in before installing.
Of course it still would sling oil all over the white walls.
But I think that the new speciality lubes soak into the chain about as well. I just spray it on and let it sit overnight.
Of course it slings oil (and graphite) all over your white walls.
However, dirty white walls separate the riders from the trailer queens. When I get fed up I clean them with Westley's Bleach White it does the job. But a word of caution, don't let it stand on your metal parts especially pollished aluminum or mag wheels it can etch them.

Good Rides

King
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

Thanks King,

You're right about the Westley's - it's the only thing I have found that will clean the white walls.
Seems I have also heard of guys who use grease instead of the 30 wt oil. Heat it up till it becomes liquid then soak the chain in it until you think the liquified grease has worked its way into the bushings then wipe all the grease from the outside surfaces of the chain and let it set for a while before reinstalling. The theory being, I suppose, that once the grease becomes solid again that it will stay where it's supposed to better.
Interesting theory I guess, but I'm guessing it's still going to sling gunk all over the white walls.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Your'e right Dave. I remember doing the greese thing too.

King
kell

Post by kell »

Hand cleaner gets white sidewalls clean, if you have a little patience.
Norseman68
Bikes: 48/66 Pan Shovel on Paughco frame

Re: Drive chain recommendations

Post by Norseman68 »

What rear sprocket are you running with that 25 tooth trans sprocket?

Return to “Chains & Belts”