compensating sproket

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

compensating sproket

Post by Eric »

I recently ordered an aftermarket compensating sproket set. It all looked pretty good but on closer examining I found the grease hole on the nut was drilled and a grease fitting was installed. Now comes the dumbest question of all. Isn't this hole supposed to be drilled all the way through or am I missing something? I have been unable to find any pictures showing this at the right angle to varify this.
Thanks
Eric :oops:
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

Re: compensating sproket

Post by hjans »

Mine looks the same with the grease nipple so i think its original
Hans
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

pump some grease thru the zerk, you will know right away if it is drilled thru.....
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric »

I have pulled the fitting out and it is not drilled through - is it suppose to be? It makes sense that it should be so the grease would go to the sprocket. But is it there for looks only?
Thanks for the responses
Eric
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I was thinking the grease fitting would be to grease the cam in the compensater, ...Mike
Eric

Post by Eric »

Panacea
That makes total sense to me. Having never seen a compensator spocket before this, I just wanted to verify my suspition that it should be all the way through. I guess the quality control at the end of the line are not doing their job. Thanks, you guys have saved me alot of time, I'm installing the clutch tonight.
Eric
Panhead Joey
Bikes: Harley Davidson 1959 FL Panhead 1964 FLH

Post by Panhead Joey »

Hello,

I am looking to use a good quality grease I can use for my 59 panhead. For instance, I want grease my compensating sprocket shaft, primary chain, rear chain, transmission shaft, wheel hubs etc. Some have suggested axle bearing grease, lithium grease e.t.c. I only want to use one grease that I can use and should it be water proof, temperature rating, Light or thick viscosity?

Thank you,

Joey
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

JOEY----On all new drive chains-(rear/Primary)-What I do is Clean the crap-off that the chains are packaged in.Then get some WHEEL-BERING grease & put enuff in a pot to cover the chains.Now---Melt the grease using a good hotplate or propane grill,etc.Dunk the chain in & keep the pot on low setting so grease remains Flowing.After a 1/2-day of cooking the chains /I usually Hang them & let cool & dry!.Once cooled//Use a rag & wipe excess off chains.Install,ADJ.& Ride.Use the oil-dripper for constant rear chain lubrication.The primary Will get its share of oil from breather & crankcase pressure being expelled.The grease zerk on Comp.-sproket is for the cams in the unit itself!/The motor sprocket Gets oiled just like the Primary chain--Its carried thru by the chain.I have my oiler set to ADD 3/4s of a QT. between 4-500,Miles.----Respectfully----Richie

Return to “Sprockets”