oil leak

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
49er
Bikes: 49 el chopper

oil leak

Post by 49er »

when I ride 10 miles or so and park, the Pan leaves a spot bout 4 inches in diameter.its from the breather. I have the needle all way in. the 49 engine has no seal on engine output shaft so a little comes out there. is this excessive? Thanks
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: oil leak

Post by VintageTwin »

Pump seat might be scored. Put a Pan under it or try and buy a seat burnishing tool. The "knowledge Base" might have some info on to where to buy such a tool. Other than than that, you might just want to buy a new pump (which you'll need to free-spin, with the pinion gear removed, when installing).
Try and isolate the true source of the leak first. Remove the outer primary, clean the inner primary cover and run it around the block (don't get caught up in the primary chain) - see if you don't also get a drip from the trans. mainshaft and from the motor shaft. Maybe you have 3 leaks. Can't tell with the outer primary on.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

I have the needle all way in
but does it reach the bottom, do you have a nut and or shims under the nut?

if the oiler screw checks out, then pull your outer primary and take a looksee, spray some degreaser around the sprocket shaft,and the oil breather area.... the go for a ride
the place that the oil is comin from will show it's self.....

good ridin.....
lpd1snipe
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1949 EL, 1957 G Servi-Car, 1968 XLH, 2012 FLHTCU, 2018 Ural Gear-Up,

Post by lpd1snipe »

When I was a dirt poor young rider, I used a trick "back in the day" that I learned from one of the Easy-riders Tech Tip books. If the pump is off, Take a check ball and strike a welding rod to it. Use that and some fine compound to lap the seat. Clean thoroughly when done clean with solvent . Worked for me. I reinstalled with new parts and no more leak down of oil. I guess there are more high tech days nowadays. :D
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”