Can someone ID this Distributor?

All ignition related articles
rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Can someone ID this Distributor?

Post by rozemab »

I'm trying to check the timing on my 58 pan and I need to find out the Manufacturer of this distributor. It is a machined billet top but the screw locations are different from any of the model sold by Accel or Mallory. Does anyone recognize the model in the pictures below? Insides appear to be modern electronics. Thanks, Brian
P1010104.JPG
P1010104.JPG (93.07 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
P1010105.JPG
P1010105.JPG (95.4 KiB) Viewed 8870 times
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: Can someone ID this Distributor?

Post by steinauge »

Looks like it might be one of the distributors sold by Gary Bang in the mid 80s. If I can find one of my old catalogs I will look this weekend.
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

thanks, I opened it up and the modern electronics inside it is a Dyna S with a single pickup module.
stroker93
Inactive member
Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Post by stroker93 »

It looks like an early Vulcan ,,,motorway engineering..I have a new style in my pan ,,It uses a Dyna S type electonics but made in house at Vulcan...I Dyna S will not work in a distributor,,,they spin the wrong direction!!! S&S makes gears to spin the distributor backwards,,,,My motor guy has modified them in the past to work as points& con,,, the Dyna parts have to be removed and retimed to fire in opposite direction.

Dave
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

stroker93,

Thanks for the reply! Does this make any sense to you? From the Dynatek website:

Will the Dyna S work in early Panhead applications with reverse rotation distributors?
Yes the Dyna S works in these applications extremely well. Just remember that in these reverse rotation applications that the front cylinder becomes the rear for ignition purposes. When using the DS6-2 single fire, simply reverse the black and white wires. With the DS6-1 dual fire, simply use the rear cylinder timing marks. Some modification to the mounting plate may be necessary for proper clearance.

I assume our old pans are dual fire?
superdave2112
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 EL

Post by superdave2112 »

Remember in the mid 1990s, a company called Weird Engineering came along? I kinda remember it looking like that, but they came with a M.C. Power Arc ignition. Very over-engineered system. Bitchin looking timer, though. They were around a bazillion bucks.

I suppose, if inclined, you could put a Dyna trigger in one of them. I'm not a big fan of Dyna. Replaced a LOT of them. What's wrong with good old points? If it takes weights, and the dyna triggers, it'll take a points plate from a Troublehead, I reckon. Gotta flip it, maybe? Sorry, I mean Shovelhead. I'm a bigot, and a snob.

Here's a picture of one that I just found. Look like it?
Timer.jpg
Timer.jpg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 5553 times

David

Head Janitor
DCL TooL Co.
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

David, It does look like it.

I have no idea if the dyna S is even working or not. Can not get the lady started.... doing some basic T/S.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Have you checked your battery?
stroker93
Inactive member
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Post by stroker93 »

The pan is a dual fire,,,download the Dyna S installation instructions,,,start to trace which wire runs to front cyl,,,,this should indicate how its wired....Do you have the S&S reverse gear set up????..The timer gear is heli cut ,,if its reversed it will be the opposite angle cut,,hope I,m making sense???
Dave
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

Mark, New battery,

stroker, I did d/l the instructions. I traced the white and blue wires back to the coil, they seemed to be connected properly (polarity) not sure about the reverse gear setup, the instructions indicate something about using the rear cylinder timing mark, not the front cylinder. The instructions say nothing about a reverse gear setup. Can you explain some more?

When I kick the bike over, the center of the distributor spins clockwise. IS that correct?

Brian
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

That would be the stock direction, have you heard the motor run? perhaps the previous owner forgot about the Dyna needing the reverse gears, Try some points! Mike
stroker93
Inactive member
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Post by stroker93 »

If its spinning clockwise there is no reverse gears,,,OK you said there was only one module,,so thats a dual fire set up...pull the plugs ground them against heads( if not grounded ,could burn out),,kick over to see spark,,both plugs should fire....If you have fire,,,great then pull timing plug ,,with bike on a jack roll over motor with rear tire till you find timing marks,,,the plugs should fire when rear cyl timing mark appears...I'm guessing the bike has been timed correctly and has run with this set up ,,just check for good battery,good connections on wiring for ignition...These are a good ignition and kinda simple,,,don't be afraid of it..That distributor is a nice piece,,I would use it and not go to points..
Dave
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

stroker93/Mike,

Thanks, I'm going to check for spark next....
dragstews
Bikes: 52 Pan/Shovel
92 Tubored RS Buell

Post by dragstews »

It is indeed a Weird Dist.

Those can use any ign. system for the cone motors....if the C.B. and dist. gear is change out for the same rotation....Or a plate that is reversed for the std. rotation of the Gen. Models....

The first ones to hit the market was made one piece, it required the head to be removed to install.
Later they was made in a two piece version that didn't need the head to be removed...

Aaaaaaa...... Better late than never ....Fellows :oops:
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Glad to see you here dragstews. Lots of guys can benefit from your knowledge...
Robbie

Return to “Ignition”