How Long Have You Owned your Pan?

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
51elpanchop
Inactive member
Bikes: 51 EL Pan,
02 FLHRCI,
07 FLHX

How Long Have You Owned your Pan?

Post by 51elpanchop »

Just curious, Cherry picking through all the various posts and seeing the sentiment that Panhead riders have for thier Pans got me thinking. I have owned a running H-D since 1982 but the one and only Pan that crossed my path was in 1995.Thousands of dollars later and four grown kids that grew up w/ the build hence the long time, I plan never to sell my Panhead and have it willed to my oldest son. I want to keep it in the family forever and so does my son. Also makes me wonder who got thier bike handed down from family and who plans on giving thier Pan to thier son.

Rob
Last edited by 51elpanchop on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Re: How Long Have You Owned your Pan?

Post by 51Hog »

When I was about 8 years old, Dad and I (He made me think I helped) assembled his Pan. He rode it til he died and gave it to my sister. My sister couldn't make it run, and let the bike sit outside for many years. I finally talked her out of it about 5 years ago. Made it rideable and have been "restoring" her ever since. She is getting close now. I plan on giving it to my Son Before I can't enjoy watching him with it. The first time I rode her solo, I was 12 years old.
The dates on the bottom of the pics are not correct. The pics were taken in 2006.

Revette
Bikes: 1956 FLH
1955 Cushman Eagle
2019 FLHX

Post by Revette »

I serviced my pan for the original owner back in '82 and told him if he ever wanted to sell her I was the man to call. In '83 the deal took place and she's been parked in my garage ever since. Since this picture was taken I've managed to put the original black bubble bags on her so she is now sportin' all the goodies she should have.

Here she is with her black bags...ain't she pretty? The paint is original as is everything else residing on her frame.

By the way, a friend used to campaign the '50 WR parked behind my pan.

Here's another shot from a local museum display that used my pan for a 50's theme
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Dale,
I always liked this picture from the early days, before you had a key for your fork lock, or a transmission.......

mike

rancherojef
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by rancherojef »

I bought my 50 Panhead in 1978 when I got divorced from my first wife. I paid $3600 for it. I rode it for about 8 years then ended up having to take the motor apart due to a severe case of stoned stupidity. It became a basket case and stayed that way for almost 22 years while I had other priorities. I finally started putting it back together in April of 2008. In August of 2008 I paid the California DMV the required fees to get the registration up to date after having it in a non-op status for all those years. Now I ride it every day the weather is worth riding. I will never sell it and do plan on willing it to my youngest son. Since I plan on riding it as long as I can manage to kick start it, he won't get it for a LONG time with any luck. I'm 57 now and, God willing, I'll ride her for another 20 years or so. Hopefully by then my youngest son will be mature enough to ride her with the respect she, and traffic, deserve in order to stay safe.
8 Feb 2009 a.jpg
8 Feb 2009 a.jpg (290.6 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
8 Feb 2009 b.jpg
8 Feb 2009 b.jpg (219.57 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
8 Feb 2009 c.jpg
8 Feb 2009 c.jpg (323.79 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Bought a KCPD '65 third hand in '75 for the rippoff price of $1500: Didn't know any better.

Thanks to a little ol' lady in a Chrysler, it is scattered all around the shop now, cannibalized for my wife's rat, or stashed in boxes with other spares.
But I still have it.

....Cotten
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Wow! You guys have some great looking machines. I would be to embarrassed to post mine next to these. Now I'm jealous. :oops:

As long as you still have the parts Cotton. Thats all that matters. :D
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

Bought my '61 as a New Bedford Police bike in 1975, same year as Cotten. Has only been off the road for one season, in '78 after I "T- bone" a big old Buick. Other than that, we've been out riding together every season for 34 years.
DSCN1938.jpg
DSCN1938.jpg (99.41 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
paned2
Bikes: 1960 Harley Davidson Duo Glide
1952 Harley Davidson FL
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

Post by paned2 »

I bought my current panhead in 1977. I paid 700.00 for it with a spare engine and other parts. It wasn't the prettiest bike, but I needed a replacement for my 1972 superglide, which was stolen. Picture show what it looks like now.
Attachments
newpan5.jpg
newpan5.jpg (234.67 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

Right around 1970 (I was about 5 or 6) my dad bought our 64 FL from a local friend that had got it straight from the Kansas City, Kansas Police Department. It had been painted Ford Fairlane tan to match the guys 64 Fairlane. Dad and Grandpa probably had 100 or more flatheads, knuckles, pans, cushmans, and indians over the years until dad married mom in 61 so by this time he was deliriously happy. Mom wasn't. In a few years he had a very good friend that rode Harleys lay down several coats of a cool metallic blue and clear. All 4 of us kids grew up riding it with him and have great memories as a result. He bought a fairing and different seat that he would use from time to time but it is basically the same old stock bike; other than a purplish blue urethane that I painted it in 97 and a few other minor changes. In due time my 12 year old will be the next owner.
64fl.jpg
64fl.jpg (35.49 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Bought my 65 pan in late '70 from a strawberry farmer in Aromas, Ca. He made me promise I would never chop her. And other than taking off the hard bags and rails and putting on a tractor seat she has stayed the same. I recently dug out those parts and they are still in decent shape. Currently in the process of putting a 49EL back together that I have been working on for over 7 years now. When that is done I intend to take the 65 apart and redo her completely.
nwsdan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1934VLD
1947FL
1949FL
1966FL

Post by nwsdan »

Bought my 49FL in the fall of 75. After an accident in 1980 I salvaged the bottom end and trans. Put shovel heads on it and slid it into a swing arm frame and rode it that way till 2007. Currently am trying to get it back as close as possible to looking like it would have when it rolled off the showroom floor.
Put a 66 Shovel motor and trans. into that swing arm in the winter of 2007.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Very nice bikes----Keep the pics commin' :P
51elpanchop
Inactive member
Bikes: 51 EL Pan,
02 FLHRCI,
07 FLHX

Post by 51elpanchop »

Wow! Very interesting stories and some great looking Pans!

My first Harley was a 1975 XLCH all kick. As a young rider fresh out of the Army I immediately fell in with the Old School bikers in my area as I basically was a sidewalk commando before that and knew them all from the local watering hole.. I use to ride w/ these two guys that were both named Bill. One rode a nice Shovel FLH w/ a strectched frame, 12" over Wideglide, and Molded flared Dresser fenders. The other Bill rode what he simply refered to as his Stroker. It had a Pan Btm and Shovel top end. 84 cubes w/ an Andrews tranny. That bike would walk most four speeds around my area and I use to droll over both bikes. Little did I know at the time that I would end up owning both of the those bikes.

To make a long story short, the Bill w/ the Panshovel ended up selling it to the Bill w/ the Shovel for 2,800 in 1986. In "87" I bought the Shovel and then in 1995 I ended up buying the Panshovel. In 1996 I found out about STD heads and it was a done deal. She was going back to being a Pan. The Bike has humbled me quite a few times. The 3rd time I rode her the kicker spring broke and was hanging down in the 6:00 oclock position. As I leaned into a right turn the kicker grabbed the asphalt and cracked the tranny case like a egg shell. It was like riding a bucking bronco and I managed to keep her up with the Ol Lady at the time hanging on.

When I installed the STD heads I honed the jugs and put new rings on her. The lower end play was sloppy but I fiqured I would give it a go. In 2001 I went to a party sponsered by the local ABATE chapter. Man she was running great and sounding great that night however, when I got home my left leg was covered in oil and to my dismay I noticed the left case had some spider webbing cracks in it. I took the motor to a known motor guru and friend. I decided to send the cases out to have them magnafluxed(SP) and welded instead of going for aftermarket cases so I could keep her tagged as a 1951.It wasn't until I got the new looking rebuilt motor back that I decided that there was no way it was going back in that frame that had been covered in my pole barn. I had the Bagger to ride so The whole thing came apart. Since then every nut/bolt/ part has been replaced or powder coated. Unfortunatley I'm still waiting for the tins to come back w/ the flame job. When they do I will post a pic and bump the thread.

Rob
Panama
Bikes: -

Post by Panama »

I can't compete with most of you guys; yet that is. I am 27 now and got my first H-D in 2006. It was my '59 FLH. I have only had the Pan a few years now, but plan on keeping it around a long time. I had and still have absolutely no desire to own a Twinkie or an Evo. The gentleman that I got the bike from received it from his father in the late seventies or early eighties. He wanted to pass it on to his son, but his kid did not want anything to do with it. The owner was so excited to see a young guy like myself role up and want to keep the bike alive.
Attachments
trial4.jpg
trial4.jpg (326.76 KiB) Viewed 2336 times

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”