How Long Have You Owned your Pan?

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
Underdoggie
Bikes: 1965 FL
1974 Honda XR75
1975 FXE
1975 Honda CB 750
1995 FXSTC
1999 FLHTUI

Re: How Long Have You Owned your Pan?

Post by Underdoggie »

I noticed this thread today and realized I have never put any full pictures of my panhead on this site before, I have put a few pictures of parts of the bike in different threads. This machine was purchased from the original owner's daughter after his passing in 1979 with about 6500 miles on it. It has a little over 22K on it now. It has been looked at three times by AMCA judges and is now a Winners Circle machine. I would have to be dead or in a comma before it is ever sold.
DSC02556.jpg
DSC02556.jpg (145.35 KiB) Viewed 974 times
DSC02549.jpg
DSC02549.jpg (146.13 KiB) Viewed 974 times
Fabe
Inactive member
Bikes: 2009 Lowrider
1995 FXR Custom
1964 FL

Post by Fabe »

Here is my 1964 Pan. I have had her for three years. This what she looked like when I picked her up in Texas City. This is where she's at now. I'll be done once the sheetmetal is painted.
100_0410.jpg
100_0410.jpg (139.45 KiB) Viewed 974 times
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Heres my 58flh in a 49 rigid,I had her for 20+ years now! She use to be pearl-white flip-flop, w/vanilla cherry & turquoise underneath, I just recently went over the bike this past winter. Color now is eggplant purple/with only 35 grams of violet to 155 grams of black. When the sun hits her she shows slight hues of purple. This bike has never let me down always made it home with duct-tape & bailingwire--or some other foreign object! Hope you guys like it.----58flh
ABBPARKBB047.jpg
ABBPARKBB047.jpg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 974 times
ABBPARKBB045.jpg
ABBPARKBB045.jpg (65.56 KiB) Viewed 974 times
Here's before she was painted, when she was still pearl white
meandtheoldlady.jpg
meandtheoldlady.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 974 times
Igosplut
Bikes: 57 Pan 78 Shovel 75 Shovel

Post by Igosplut »

All nice looking stuff. I bought a shovel in the early 80 because I wanted the fastest Harley I could build, and a Pan didn't fit that (I had learned to street ride on a Pan, and they held a special place for me). Many years later I was always sorry that I didn't get one instead of the shovel when they were cheaper, and I would have bought a shovel after anyways. In 06, I had the thought of buying another bike (evo) being that the shovel was somewhat of a grenade (anybody that's stroked one way out knows what I'm saying) and that I was ready for a change. After seriously riding some with the thought of buying, I just couldn't get into the newer Harleys.......They just lacked soul (or maybe I'm a sadist for vibration?). Anyhoo, a friend who had another (of ours)dead friends 54 said he wanted to off the bike, and I was suppose to have the first shot at it. Well, it didn't work out that way so I began to look for a pan that would fit the image of what I had in my head all these years (meaning that I wanted neither an aftermaket motor, or a bike that was too stock that it was not in the best interest to change it from that). Wanted a 57FLH, and found a few but they either were funky numbers or just too far gone. Up one pops on Ebay for a totally unrealistic price, and close to me. Well, after it doesn't sell I engauge the owner in talk about a realistic price. We settle on something workable, and I go up to look at it. This guy was a early 30s firefighter that his first bike was a 2000s road king. He thought it would be cool to buy a "Chopper" for all the obvious reasons people do that. To his horror (never ridden anything but the king) it was completely unrideable for him. So home with me it came. All Harley motor/trans, and 57 (date-codes) to boot.It was a 70s custom, with metallic silver paint, drag bars, and a king and queen seat with a ugly home-made sissy bar (molded with fiberglass no less). Early Paughco frame, and a 21". A year later this is what it looks like. I still have the Shovel, but lent it to a close friend (that will get it taken away if he doesn't keep it spotless) and the Pan is all I ride......
july09127.jpg
july09127.jpg (91.84 KiB) Viewed 974 times
66panhead
Bikes: 1992 FXR
1980 Sturgis
1966 FL

Post by 66panhead »

My Panhead had come to me from a friend who got it from his blood brother. The bike was sitting in a shed in Maryland for 10 years before my friend got it from his brother. Apparently said brother was broadsided by another motorcyclist, nearly lost his leg as it was pinned between his bike, and the oncoming bike. The handlebars from the Panhead impacted the ground, and punctured the left hand tank, obviously spilling gas from it. The tanks at the time were the original 61-62 style hand shift. The brother had the bike put into the shed, where it had set for about 10 years. My friend had the bike given to him from his brother, and only had to pay for the shipping to Alaska. $1000.00 from Maryland to Fairbanks, AK. Hmmm, realistically not all that bad.

Once the bike came to Alaska, I had to go see this new bike of my friend. Once I laid eyes on it, I had hoped that I could get her. She needed alot of work though! The outward appearances of it made it look like a 62 Panhead. The gas tanks were the first things that made me think this, as was the speedometer; Police Special, too (Hmmm)! It had a earlier swing arm frame, as it was unnumbered, but it wasn't a 58-64 frame. But the heads were outside oilers, which weren't produced introduced until 1963, and the cases stated otherwise, 1966. Oh well it wasn't a 62 which is what I was looking for, but it still looked good! My friend ran into a hard time financially, and had to sell the Panhead. He asked $3500.00 I took him up on it immediately!

I pulled the bike into my garage, and proceeded to pull it apart. Most of the chrome on the bike was pitted and the aluminum was oxidized. The one good thing was that most of the sheetmetal was undamaged with the exception of the left tank. Squirrels and rodents of some type had decided that the hole in the tank was a perfect place to store their accorns and other goodies that would be condusive to a healthy home environment. Unfortunately, these rodents were not house nor tank trained. Absolutely amazing what this did to the sheetmetal!

The Panhead with the original outside oiler heads, were in need of fixing. The intake port lips needed some of the aluminum welded back, and some of the fins were missing. Someone previously had run a long screw thru the intake port. These heads were definately worth saving! I had heard of a individual in Oregon that did some repair to aluminum where you couldn't see the repair work that was done....his name is Cliff Lamb, and he did do some awesome work on these heads! I also had the unleaded seats put into these heads while he was at it! Duh!

The cases were split, and the rod set was replaced with a S&S rod set. They were balanced and trued by another Panhead Freek named Freek! He talked me into doing the motor up as a stock 1200 with low compression pistons. I also had the transmission looked at, and all looked good in there. At the time, I could not find a original left hand tank to get this back to its previous form. So, I used what I had available, and moved the handshift from the location on the tank to shifting directly on the tranny. She is running a true jockey shift, not this ratchet lid shifter stuff! The bike is not a speed demon, but a dependable scoot. Its sporting a #1 Andrews cam with the solid lifter conversion. She runs like a tractor, chug-chug-chug!

I've had her since about 93....
murray
Bikes: 65 pan ... 03 custom chopper... 47 knucklehead ... 03 road glide ... 27 JD

Post by murray »

Since July 9th 2012.
oleblu72
Bikes: 63FLH, 98 Buell white lightening,73 Sportster,
Norton,Triumph,Royal Enfield
BSA

Post by oleblu72 »

Well let me see.....as of today 35 days I've owned my ole 63 now, I guess that means I'm pretty new.

Mark
rockcarver
Bikes: 1949 FL
1966 FL

Post by rockcarver »

got my first '61' pan in 1977. rode that for nine years then sold it and bought this '66' police special that I still own today, 27 years later. bought two '49' pans about ten years ago as roller basket cases. The one '49' I chopped, rode for a bit and then sold, the other '49' tank shift pan I made into a rat and still have to this day.

9 tank shift-still have

49 pan chop

66 police special-still have

61 pan in 1977
pistol pete
Bikes: 1950 Pan/Shovel
1960 Panhead FLH
1976 Shovelhead
2006 Softail Deluxe

Post by pistol pete »

Bought my 1960 in '77. About to finish its second restoration. Got it fired this weekend. Will be riding it again soon.
mickthedick
Bikes: 64 PAN

Post by mickthedick »

Lots of beautiful machines and cool stories in here... I bought my Pan a year ago this month from Paul Osborn at T&O cycles in Wichita,KS... Been sitting in their shop for almost twenty years, they cleaned it up a bit, put some new gas in it, and fired it right up. Rode her home that day, May 5th 2012. Its funny I remember seeing it for sale there about 10 yrs or so ago, before I even owned my first sporty, and thought "Im gonna get a scooter just like that some day" wierd how things work out sometimes. Took her back last Jan. and stroked her out to 84" stripped everything down fixed the frame and repainted and cleaned everything. Now we're in CO loving these beautiful Rocky Mt. roads thanks to a lot of help from the folks on this here forum. I'll ride this machine til I die!
Attachments
hglidenet2.JPG
hglidenet2.JPG (282.4 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
hglidenet.JPG
hglidenet.JPG (260.26 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
66panhead
Bikes: 1992 FXR
1980 Sturgis
1966 FL

Post by 66panhead »

here is a pic of my, now rolling chassis
Attachments
66panhead.jpg
66panhead.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
54built
Bikes: 91 Sturgis
94 Rd. King
54 Panhead

Post by 54built »

54-Built: Had my 54 for about 15 yrs. Motor sat under work bench for 12 of them. Finally built her, 3yrs. ago.
Not stock by any means, but she's mine. At 65, with roads here in Louisiana, not best for my kidneys today.
If I ever get the opportunity to build another, she will be stock. Even if to restore for sale. She's not an interstate
scoot, she does fine on the back roads. Till next time, Glenn
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

Had my 62 since 1980 (torn apart right now and trying to restore to police bike) and got a 53 a couple of months ago. I'll take some pics later and see if I can post them.
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

cdndewey wrote:Had my 62 since 1980 (torn apart right now and trying to restore to police bike) and got a 53 a couple of months ago. I'll take some pics later and see if I can post them.
Hope this works....
Attachments
Doc1.pdf
(342.25 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
fatfatboy
Bikes: '03 Fatboy
'14 Slim
'60 FLH
86 XT 350

Post by fatfatboy »

A whole lot of coolness going on in this thread. I'm quite impressed by how dedicated you all are of your Pans. Gives me inspiration.

This was how I brought my Panhead home a few years ago. A real bitza bike with parts from 1960 -1980.
IMG_2953.jpg
IMG_2953.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 974 times
I slowly started putting it back together in my spare time trying to get to a 58 Duo Glide appeal. I got the motor together (.020 over with STD heads) had to pull the tranny apart to weld up some metal fatigue. Got it back together. Found and rebuilt a Hydra Glide front end. Got the motor in, front end and a swingarm (wrong year but looking to hook up 58-62 drum and such) all on and got it roll-able.

Unfortunately I had stop the build for a couple years to build a house and now I'm getting back to the build and hoping to have it done by spring.

Here how she sits right now.
image_zps298e3f90.jpg
image_zps298e3f90.jpg (115.88 KiB) Viewed 974 times

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”