Re Aftermarket Paugho Frame

rootwad
Inactive member
Bikes: '59 Pan/Shovel FLH
'06 Road King FLHR

Re Aftermarket Paugho Frame

Post by rootwad »

Hey Guys,
I got a question: my bike is a 59 bottom with a shovel top, and sits in a Paugho(?) frame. It does have a center post but it is covered with a steel plate. My question is can I maybe drill out the seat post and run a pogo stick seat? I think it would be WAY more comfortable to ride not feeling EVERY bump in the road. What is involved in setting up a pogo stick type seat? I mean on the inside? And do I need the t-bar for the forward mount? I know it would be much easier to just put a solo on springs, but I like the pogo look.
Thanks
Eric
BTW I FINALLY got a pic of the bike uploaded in the garage
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Re: Re Aftermarket Paugho Frame

Post by LittleAl »

I did exactly that a few weeks ago. I bought an original Harley 1951 frame but somewhere over the years someone welded a plate in that triangle area of the frame, covering the pogo tube. my first thought was to remove the plate but worried what all that heat & cutting & grinding would do to the original tubes, and what I might discover under it so I just drilled it out. Drilled a series of small holes to find all the inside edges of the pogo tube then "connected" all the holes to get the center area out. Then i worked with a coarse grinding stone on a drill being careful to keep the hole in the plate lined up with the angle of the tube. finally I worked it closely with a grinding stone on a dremmel. Once it felt right, no ridges and smooth I carefully ground with the dremmel until the seat bushing was a nice snug fit, able to push it in a little just with pressure from the palm of my hand. Finally I installed the pogo and slide the bushing down over it and into the "new" hole then used a piece of PVC pipe that fit snuggly over the pogo and drove the bushing into place with it. Had a couple of false starts and had to do some minor reaming/grinding until the bushing fit just right without distortion and the pogo went up and down smooth. Filled in the top edge with a little pro-proxy (aka JB Weld, but much cheaper) sanded and painted.

yeah, I think you need to use a T bar

as you can see my plate has that extra piece for God knows what hanging over the oil bag, I eventually cut that off too

heres a pic of the final assembly:
IMG_1684.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I don't think the Paughco frame is finished at the bottom of the seat post. Do you have a seat post to check the diameter of the post tube? You might be able to install a post bushing if the diameter is correct. Or, just try some barrel springs under your existing seat.
VPH-D
rootwad
Inactive member
Bikes: '59 Pan/Shovel FLH
'06 Road King FLHR

Post by rootwad »

Hey thanks for the info and pics. Another question, tho: the seat post tube has no stops in it as far as I can tell. I looked under it the other day, ran my finger around and there's just a hole! Maybe you would send me the part # of the bushing you installed? I fairly sure that they'd be close. Yours looks just like mine does, minus the drilling you did. I dont have that neat little tab you cut off, or I'd be doin' some cuttin also.
Eric

LittleAl wrote:I did exactly that a few weeks ago. I bought an original Harley 1951 frame but somewhere over the years someone welded a plate in that triangle area of the frame, covering the pogo tube. my first thought was to remove the plate but worried what all that heat & cutting & grinding would do to the original tubes, and what I might discover under it so I just drilled it out. Drilled a series of small holes to find all the inside edges of the pogo tube then "connected" all the holes to get the center area out. Then i worked with a coarse grinding stone on a drill being careful to keep the hole in the plate lined up with the angle of the tube. finally I worked it closely with a grinding stone on a dremmel. Once it felt right, no ridges and smooth I carefully ground with the dremmel until the seat bushing was a nice snug fit, able to push it in a little just with pressure from the palm of my hand. Finally I installed the pogo and slide the bushing down over it and into the "new" hole then used a piece of PVC pipe that fit snuggly over the pogo and drove the bushing into place with it. Had a couple of false starts and had to do some minor reaming/grinding until the bushing fit just right without distortion and the pogo went up and down smooth. Filled in the top edge with a little pro-proxy (aka JB Weld, but much cheaper) sanded and painted.

yeah, I think you need to use a T bar

as you can see my plate has that extra piece for God knows what hanging over the oil bag, I eventually cut that off too

heres a pic of the final assembly:

LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

got mine from V-twin, part #10-1288 $27
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

A custom-cut bushing will be required, and a heavy washer welded upon the bottom of the tube.

My I.E.I. (Chicago) frame would not accept a BigTwin post, but a 45" post worked well.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Norseman68
Bikes: 48/66 Pan Shovel on Paughco frame

Post by Norseman68 »

I understand this is an Old Post but I have the same question regarding installing a seat post in a 58 - 64 Payghco 4 speed frame. Wayne also has the taco plate weld it over the top of the seat post and it is not finished on the bottom just as discussed in this post.
What was eventually done and can you post some pictures if you were successful.
Thanks
Norseman68
Bikes: 48/66 Pan Shovel on Paughco frame

Post by Norseman68 »

Again I realize I'm bringing a thread back from the dead but I also have 58 to 64 Paughco drop seat frame and I drilled a hole through the top plate and I'm waiting for my 45 seatpost bushings seatpost and seat tee to get here so I can hopefully fit it all together after I get the washer welded to the bottom of my seat post tube.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”