Duo-Glide center stand pros & cons

ridermike
Bikes: 1960 FLF
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Duo-Glide center stand pros & cons

Post by ridermike »

Anyone have any advice on using a center stand on a Duo-glide? I went threw the knowledge base with no luck on this subject. Are they prone to falling down on bumpy roads? How do you snap it in place without getting off the bike and using your hand or foot? For that matter, how do you get it down without burning your foot on the exhaust or getting chain grease on your toes on the other side? What about the easiest way to get the bike on it? I just plan on using it when the bike sits for a while like during winter. I haven’t seen many in use and wonder if they are worth the effort.
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Re: Duo-Glide center stand pros & cons

Post by hydra74 »

I have a center stand on my FLH shovel the same as for the Duo-Glide but I don't use it very often

No problems with falling down off the stand on bumpy roads, putting the bike on the stand is another story, standing on the left side greasing my boot with chain grease lefthand/lefthandlebar righthand/rightcrashbar rightboot behind the stand i pull the bike up and to the rear

if you are using it for winter time buy a jack so you can get both wheels off the ground
Panama
Bikes: -

Post by Panama »

I find that it is almost impossible to get my '59 on its stand by myself. Even with help, it is a strain. I role the rear tire up onto a 2x6, then it is a piece of cake to get the bike onto the stand. Once the bike is on the stand, it is very stable. I do use a hose clamp to hold the stand while riding. It has never fallen while riding, but the holding clips are very weak and they don’t give me any confidence that it would hold on a bumpy road. As for the grease, that is all part of the experience!
Panama
ridermike
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Post by ridermike »

Thanks Hydra and Panama, I was beginning to think this post was going to go unnoticed. I would think this would be a subject for the knowledge base since center stands were so common back in the day. What about rolling the bike off the stand? I guess you have to push the bike off the stand from the left side, and then raise the stand with your right foot, all before mounting. Either of you guys drop your bike dealing with the stand?
This forum has been a great help to me in the last couple of years. I might not post a lot but I read it almost daily. Anyone out there have the Motor Co. instructions on the center stand? Any more tips or tricks?
ridermike
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Post by ridermike »

Any more suggestions? I don't run rear crashbars. I guess I'll use the fender strut to grab and pull.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

mike

get yourself a chunk of 2x4 and bevel both ends. run your rear tire up on this and then try the rear stand.

this is what i do with my rigid rear stand.

running full size tires may help too if you don't already have them.

john
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

If you don't have the rear crashbar its gone be difficult because you need a good grip, the trick with the 2x4 its much easy and better for your back
rolling the bike off the stand?
push it forward and use the front brake the same time
drop your bike dealing with the stand?
no i did not drop my bike dealing with the stand
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I know this is a old posting!--But I found it easy to put the bike up on its center stand!--You grab the rear crashbar & Hump it up in one swift move!,-If you do not have a crash bar,Then Its a struggle but still doable!.--If your back is bad from yrs. of working outside contstruction for instance,--You need the ol-Lady to push on yje forks when you put it up or use a 2x6--SMALL PIECE maybe 8-inches long & it fits in your bag no problem!--Then Its easy to do it by yourself without help!--1-swift pull back & yer DONE!---I find them useful when servicing brakes or ,setting Timing,or just Checking -or looking for tranny problems!,JUST start it & run thru the gears to make sure all is good!----RICHIE
epazikas
Bikes: Harley Davidson WL 750cc 1945

Post by epazikas »

Hi, does anyone can give some advice on what to do, when a Harley Davidson wlc 750cc is on its rear stand, to not roll over and fall? As it is today, I use a pair of plane chocks to keep it standing still, and it works well, but I think there might be an adjustment or something to be installed on the rear stand, so that the motorcycle will be safe and steady and without any workaround? Thank you! Ed
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

epazikas wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:08 pm Hi, does anyone can give some advice on what to do, when a Harley Davidson wlc 750cc is on its rear stand, to not roll over and fall? As it is today, I use a pair of plane chocks to keep it standing still, and it works well, but I think there might be an adjustment or something to be installed on the rear stand, so that the motorcycle will be safe and steady and without any workaround? Thank you! Ed
Ed,

I have a rear stand on my WLA and it is quite stable.

George
René
Bikes: Hydra Glide 51 and Shovelhead 79

Post by René »

58flh wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:04 pm I know this is a old posting!--But I found it easy to put the bike up on its center stand!--You grab the rear crashbar & Hump it up in one swift move!,-If you do not have a crash bar,Then Its a struggle but still doable!.--If your back is bad from yrs. of working outside contstruction for instance,--You need the ol-Lady to push on yje forks when you put it up or use a 2x6--SMALL PIECE maybe 8-inches long & it fits in your bag no problem!--Then Its easy to do it by yourself without help!--1-swift pull back & yer DONE!---I find them useful when servicing brakes or ,setting Timing,or just Checking -or looking for tranny problems!,JUST start it & run thru the gears to make sure all is good!----RICHIE
could you put pictures, video, etc. something more demonstrative, I'm trying to lift my Shovel, thanks

Return to “Frame & Fittings”