No steering damper ,but big ugly hole !

neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

No steering damper ,but big ugly hole !

Post by neilw »

I,don't have all the parts for the steering damper and since I read it was not used on all 59's I'm not going to use one.Trouble is theres a big cutout hole in the top chrome cover ,to make way for the damper,and you see this big nut with a hole going down through it .Is something suposed to cover this ?
Neilw
I just thought I better edit this to attach a photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kuda
Bikes: *

Re: No steering damper ,but big ugly hole !

Post by Kuda »

neilw wrote:I,don't have all the parts for the steering damper and since I read it was not used on all 59's I'm not going to use one.Trouble is theres a big cutout hole in the top chrome cover ,to make way for the damper,and you see this big nut with a hole going down through it .Is something suposed to cover this ?
Neilw
I just thought I better edit this to attach a photo.
I've seen a chrome "cap" that's a two piece item, the lower part goes under the crown nut, the top snaps on to that. Definately aftermarket though. Tried to find more about it online, no luck...

-Kuda (oh, and your wire cover is on upside down, the flange goes under the top cover) :mrgreen:
'49 panchop
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

how about just putting in the damper knob & it's cover? I've seen a few OEM on eBay a few times in the past 2 weeks alone, J&P also sells it for about $25.00

I know I'm new to restoring, rather then just rebuilding, but am I missing something with my suggestion to just put the knob in?
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

The nut would have two threaded holes in it. I believe this is a rare piece to find.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The damper knob and domed cover are available from V-Twin. They fill in the hole nicely. Use a hardware store spring in between the cover and knob to apply pressure down onto the cover.
VPH-D
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Or as said ,just go this route.
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

like said before use the knob/spring and cover don't use the anchor plate because Duo-Glide's seems to have a speed wobble problem when the damper is turned on (unless you have a sidecar combination)
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

there is a acorn type nut that you can get...
got one on mine....
Picture058.jpg
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

hydra74 wrote:like said before use the knob/spring and cover don't use the anchor plate because Duo-Glide's seems to have a speed wobble problem when the damper is turned on (unless you have a sidecar combination)
Could you explain this a little more? I am just getting ready to put a 60 Duo-glide on the road and have no idea how the steering damper is to be used. I assumed that you tighten it at high speeds and can loosen it at lower speeds, but I don't understand your use of the words when you say the dampner is turned on. I'd like to know the proper use of the steering damper before I get this thing on the road and find out the wrong way.
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

Post by hjans »

Not original, but the covers could easily be made on a lathe and glued/screwed onto the hole.
Find someone with a lathe and you're the man for only a couple of bucks.
Unless you want only the original....... but you could replace it when you find/buy it.
Hans
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

The acorn nut is a good inexpensive option.
I don't feel high speed wobble. If your frame and forks are straight and you make sure your wheels are in line and have the tires balanced they ride pretty well. It seems like mine wants to almost gyro a bit at 75 mph. I am thinking I need to try some balancing beads or something. I don't feel the need for a dampener. I never had one though.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The steering dampers were removed from production once Duo-Glide handling problems were reported. Only those models equipped with the adjustable fork for sidecar use were shipped with damper. Don't tighten the damper knob [to engage] on swing arm machines.
VPH-D
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

biker_k

read the bruce palmer "how to restore" book on page 65 you can find the details over there
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

Ok...got it. Don't ever tighten the steering damper. Thanks
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

Post by neilw »

Thanks for all the pictures and info you guys. And especially for telling me about my wire cover being upside down .I always wondered if it was to long ,but when I undid the riser caps and lifted the bars up it kinda squezed in there ,I'll take em back off and do it right .I'm glad I found out now before I got things hooked up.
Oh yeah ,my steering damper ,I found the big dome thing that goes over the nut ,and also the damper knob ,so I'm just going to paint them black and put them on for show.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”