leineweber cams

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: leineweber cams

Post by FlatHeadSix »

mbskeam wrote:I get the reliability issue, I love to tinker, and I cannot help myself.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
and that's exactly why you need more than one bike, one to "play" with, just for the fun of it, and one that just starts, and runs, and rides.

jmho

mike
Yags
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 FLH

Post by Yags »

There is a cool article/interview of Jim Leineweber in this magazine.

http://www.thehorsemag.com/Pages/Back_I ... e_105.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

If you enjoy your bike, that is all that matters.
Mike
FelthamW
Bikes: 1946 FL
1955 FLH
2005 FLHTC
1990 bastid wild child

Post by FelthamW »

I am a BELIEVER when it comes to Lienweiber (sp???) cams.
In the past, I destroyed a top end or two. Destroyed my original pan cases by lifting the front jug from the cases. (Hello Delkron!) NOT Jim's fault! I actually had to take the panheads off and put Dave Mackie finessed shovel heads fitted with Crane roller rockers and a set of Jim's (not LW) hydraulic lifters on this bike. Yes, different cam but still LW, L5 or L7 I think.
It may not start well. BUT..................there is nothing quite like the sound of when a BIG inch stroker fires up running one of his cams.
I have had many people say "AHDRA", drag racer?, what the hell?
Love it. Just love it.
I am sorry to say that I run a Andrews C grind nowadays. My knee kills me. I have broken more kicker gears, shafts, pedals, you name it that anybody I have ever met.
BUT, the top end is still shimmed for that LW cam and when I want to show a Evo or TC how things really work......two hours, I can change it out! Wooo hooo!
Long live big inch, kick start strokers!
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

HEY GUYS!---I run a 74inch pan .030 over thats it!. Its a 58flh motor in a 49 rigid. I had the stock flh cam reground,Just for a little more hangtime.,I did the heads ,all innards polished -the guides I tapered in my lathe to help with flow chamfered oil holes & painted insides for easy oil drain. The bottomend was also polished, I kept the stock factor & heavy wheels--I took the rods & used a 3/8 radius cutter for a 1-inch arbor hoiz. milling machine & milled a channel 90 degrees apart & .050 deep for that extra oil retention at start-up & when moving at 75 MPH for long periods!/My bike is geared so I can hold 65mph at 2950 or somewhere in that area!-Its just under 3000RPM. Open drag-pipes 13/4 by 40 inch long,,A completely reworked BENDIX carb. I had bored it as far as it would take-it!, & finally All was fine-tuned on DYNO after I put 1000 miles on motor!--I ride 2-up most of the time & have no troubles on steep grades being 2-up & loaded up with gear!--12V-IG. BOSCH PLATINUM PLUGS,& Solid core non supresion wires!--Bluestreak points, msd condensor,auto advance breaker/with the total ADV. being brought in at 2800RPM!. ITS a 1-kicker cold or hot! & the TOURQUE is AWESOME!---YOU have to build smart!,,Know where your machine will be living(RPM) most of the time & build accordingly!--WHEN I go SOLO,I really get to have fun & see what a stock 74 can do!---I hear alot of guys complaining that a 1200 is not enuff for 2-up riding in the hills!--HELL try mine!--I have no complaints!--CAM is degreed as all cams should be!-(you will be surprized at how much a cam even stock can be off!)--& that is LOSS of POWER!--MINE is set at 2 teeth from factory mark!--YES they will run by going dot to dot!--BUT IF you DEGREE your CAM & then take her for a ride!--ITS a new machine under you!---BUILD SMART!--I need a everyday runner, as this is my transport!--So clearences were kept tighter & I forgot to mention I used silicone impregnated slugs & totalseal RINGS-(WIESCO). The slugs have been in for 7yrs. now When I did the topend over last!. I have the bike on the road for 25+yrs. & did the Topend 4x in that time!--I put ALOT of MILES on!!!!!!(MANY MANY MILES!)-BOTTOMEND 1-time new berings & IM still at .030 on the jugs!-(TOURQUE-PLATES EUGENE)!.----RICHIE---MOST of all ENJOY what you build!,--Dont trailer it up!--They are meant to be ridden! 8)
rainman
Bikes: Some old, some new

Post by rainman »

I changed to a LW cam several years ago. 74 inch shovel- bike weighs 410 pounds, wet....
Did a bit of a comparo prior to the swap.... went from an Andrews BH to a LS3
...changed only the cam- no other items disturbed- did a compression pressure check before and after and took notes... engine at room temp (yeah, yeah, there's a reason), WOT and ambient temps the same as it was done in less than 2 hours (hence the cool engine- so's I could work on it)
Baseline with BH cam installed:
Front cyl BH cam- 85 psi
Rear cyl BH cam- 88 psi
After installing Leineweber LS3 cam:
Front cyl LS3 cam-105 psi
Rear cyl LS3 cam- 107 psi

What a difference valve overlap/ duration makes. Yes- its a bit hectic on the valvetrain- but its not a set-it-and-forget-it unit.
I dig it.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I'm surprised you have MORE static compression with the Leinweber. Is there no overlap?
panheadron
Bikes: 56 Pan, 62 CH

Post by panheadron »

Hey 58flh. You say you had a stock FLH cam reground. Who did the work, & what are the specs now? Lift, valve opening & closings, + duration? Then you had to degree it! Sounds like a stock FLH cam may be off even from the factory timing marks! Please reply. Thanks.
panheadron
Bikes: 56 Pan, 62 CH

Post by panheadron »

Hey Cotton. Which cam would you suggest for a stock Panhead w/no head work? The Andrews J, the FL, the FLH, or something else. You are absolutely right at the Clydesdale vs Arabian comparison. Let me know. Thanks!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Ron!

I has been nearly two decades since I played with any cams at all.

Since the Sifton name has been defiled, I can only honestly endorse an OEM FLH cam. I am sure there are other fine cams being made (hopefully Andrews overcame their quality control issues of 'my' day), but I have no experience to justify any opinions upon any modern brand.

Sorry,

....Cotten
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Is there no overlap?

Will someone please answer this?
I'm just too tired...
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

I just thought it interesting the leineweber would build more static compression than a B cam, everything else being equal. I'm guessing it has shorter duration and higher lift for better low end performance. I'd think it would be hard to start, but I'm no expert...Mike
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Morning guys!---Well I see an oild familiar topic!--Leinweber Cams!---I love them!!!---BUT,--With STD heads & aftermarket cases!= ALOT of FUN!--Im an old gearhead at heart!--LIKE MOST HERE!--What Ive learned over the yrs. WERE said IN 2-earlier posts!---I think if your gonna beat OEM heads up--its not practical & you will be disappointed at the results!--(COTTON SAID---LIKE TRYING to train a CLYDSDALE to run like an Arabian!)--HOW TRUE THIS IS!--Afterall We know That the PAN was a TOURQUE MACHINE!/-& they run best STOCK!--As far as CAMS!--I run SOLIDS on everything!--Even my cars & truck before I sold them!,,Im a tinker kind of person that's all!.I have run the Andrews #1, J,&A cams!---(best for dailyrunner----#1 or J--The A sucked!-hardkicking & no benefit!,The best cam is the one I went back to FLH cam is GREAT!. Stroking is good!-to a point!--I think & just my opinion 84inch is great for daily runner with stock heads!.Im still at 74-inch & see no need to increase & Im 2-up 70% of the time!.The Factories formula is CONCRETE!--IT WORKS! & your not compromising nothing!.I love to go FAST!--that's what the aftermarkets for -(cases heads!)--When you blow it up it don't hurt as much as its AFTERMARKET STUFF & NOT OEM STUFF!--& you just redo it over & over & over!--I love the dragstrip! :D .Also FLATHEADSIX I believe said -(that's why its nice to have other horses in the stable!--Who cares if you break a EVO??? I don't Its easily replaceable! Like a throwaway bic-lighter!.---BULD them smart & RIDE THEM!--The worst thing is to have a bike sit!,If you have a 100-point correct bike!--SWEET! TAKE it out of the trailer on sundays & put some Smiles -Miles on her!--The MOTOR needs to be run!.Just my opinion from a lot of yrs. in this game of motorcycles.--Respectfuly---RICHIE
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

mbskeam, nice to see you back on the forum, its been a while. Want to say huge thanks to You for all the help & info. you provided when I first joined. I never would have gotten my 52 back to stock without all your help.
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

Hi Hauula pan! This is an old thread somebody resurrected from 09, MB skeam hasn't been back...Mike

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”