leineweber cams

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
mbskeam
Bikes: *

leineweber cams

Post by mbskeam »

got my new cam...
the thing that I see just from looking at it is the lobe shape.....
looks like a very fast open and duration time...
hopefully it will help with the kicking over
cam1.jpg
leineweber L2 grind
cam2.jpg
Andrews A grind
cam3.jpg

mbskeam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: leineweber cams

Post by john HD »

solids or hydraulics?

john
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

solids
wahoo
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948 EL
1960 FL
2008 Buell 1125R

Post by wahoo »

Are they (Lineweber cams) known for being hard on valvetrain parts?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Mike,
Did you send him an old cam to re-grind, or buy it outright?

Your observation of the fast opening aspect looks correct, the ramp is almost vertical compared to the slope on the Andrews, the valve should literally "snap" open!

I've been thinking of sending him some WL cams and have them ground to WR specs, or something in between, but I've heard that he isn't doing so well lately and the turn-around time is considerable.

good pics!, keep us posted,
mike
keiser

Post by keiser »

I've been running Leineweber cams for many years. I have an Evo motor with about 75000 miles on an E51 cam. I love the cams and the power. They open/close the valves extremely fast - faster than any other cam I have checked. (measured with a dial indicator and degree wheel) I have also run a big stroker motor with an L5 cam. My street bikes run the L2 cam as you have pictured. I run Jims hydraulic lifters as recommended by Jim Leineweber. I think Jims and Velvetouch are the only hydraulic lifters he recommends. Of course, solids are ok. The only damage I have seen on my Evo is the valve seats have been beaten into the head probably an 1/8 inch deeper than they were when I first put the cam in. I would assume the fast close acts a little like a hammer on the seats. A close friend and master Harley engine builder didn't think it was any big deal. He has seen it before and thinks once they move, they stabilize. He also is a big fan of Leineweber cams.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

keiser wrote:The only damage I have seen on my Evo is the valve seats have been beaten into the head probably an 1/8 inch deeper than they were when I first put the cam in. I would assume the fast close acts a little like a hammer on the seats. A close friend and master Harley engine builder didn't think it was any big deal. He has seen it before and thinks once they move, they stabilize.
Keiser!

.125" is pretty bodacious!

I'm surprised the springs weren't floating.

No doubt the hammering didn't help anything, but extreme recession of the seats, often with corresponding wear upon the valves, is a signature of alcohol fuels.
The mania for hardened seats and lead-substitutes (even though tetraethyl lead was for octane, not lube) has been fueled by this phenomenon.

Ethanol should not be mixed with gasoline, but my Congressman doesn't want to hear it.

.....Cotten
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

so I got it back together.... a few kicks and .......
the kicker gear decides to go south....
DSC_0304.jpg
back up on the lift, pull out a new gear(swap meet part)
pull apart and replace gear...
back off the lift....
outside we go....
starts up....YEAH

took it for a ride....
its pulls about the same....
it maybe a bit different as I accelerate.... not too bad, it seams to pull pretty good
time will tell.......

mbskeam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Does the static compression seem less than the "A" cam? It would be interesting to do a comp. test before and after the swap. Unfortunatly I never think of these things beforehand....Mike
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

mbskeam wrote: took it for a ride....
its pulls about the same....
it maybe a bit different as I accelerate.... not too bad, it seams to pull pretty good
time will tell.......

mbskeam
Hey mbskeam, there's been some time, anything to tell about the leineweber cam you put in?
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

well....
going by feel only.......
the A is a bit milder cam, it does idle lower and smoother if you will.
but I kinda like the lumpy sound the LW makes.
the LW pulls a bit harder from 1500 rpm and on up...
the only thing is it hard on the valve train.....
alum pushrods need not apply...
had to make mine outa 4130 steel, so the steel ends did not get pushed into the alum....
guess thats the price for having a fast pan.....
if such a thing exists..... :roll: :roll: :D :D :D :D
(this bike is slow, if ya compare it to my twinkee)
as soon as the weather breaks I have to get out....
I'm going a bit nuts......
riddin when its in the low 40's just not that fun.
guess I'm gettin old...... :?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I wish my stroker was as fast as my 74" pan. She was bored out to 60 over with wisco 10 to 1 pistons and an A cam. The old girl would slide you right off the back of the seat if you wern't ready for it. Actually beat an evo bagger in a drag race! (only about 200 lbs heavier than mine...)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

Let us consider the difference between "fast" and "quick".

Pans can be quite "quick", accellerating through the lower gears rapidly with plenty of torque, and pulling a heavy payload as well.

"Fast", however, conjures notions of a high top speed, which requires airflow for horsepower that will always be limited with OEM Pan heads.

Considering actual pragmatic use for a machine is nearly always under 95 mph, trying to convert a torque machine to a horsepower machine is like training a Clydesdale to run like an Arabian.

You will lose practical torque attempting to gain a bit of horsepower.

So, any horsepower 'hop-ups' should consider not only the riding conditions, but the weight of the machine, and the weight of the payload.

Applying racing cams, raising the compression, and enlarging porting and valves in a motor intended to pull a dresser with two large adults loaded with camping gear only compromises the life expectancy of motor, and minor things like fuel economy. Add lightened flywheels and the motor will alway have to be revved into the cams elevated powerband just to leave a stoplight. (There goes the clutch....) Hitch it to a sidecar, and the result is a tragic waste.

But for a stripped solo chop built for racing from tavern to tavern, its grand!

I learned the hard way,

....Cotten
Pomike
Inactive member

Post by Pomike »

Yes, there is a strange fascination with cams, considering the only moment that matter is the power pulse. The reat is just getting it in and out. Proper head shape and squish, with adjusted compression are ignored while vast sums of money and enrgy are spent on stuff that usually makes little positive difference, and more likely detracts from the actual pleasure of riding, while destroying the reliability of the engine. Torque is all that matters on a good, streetable Big twin. I love the grunt of my Panhead, compared to the twinkies, but they will fly by me at any higher speed.
Mike
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

well the main reason I changed the cam was to make it a bit easier to kick over...
I was happy with the A grind, but it was a bitch to kick over.....

as to my definition of fast.....
think off the line and up, stoplight to stoplight if you will....
going from a 74 to 88 was a big difference in torque......
when getting on the twinkie, it has even more.
we all know this, the newer evo and up stomp the hell outa these, from the heads,
squish band, to rod angles of the twink.
thats why I got the newer bike, I can WFO the thing, and not beat on my baby as much....
gettin 1st thru 3rd gear wheel spin and still pull the front end up on a bagger as you take off and go thru the gears,...

well....

its a BLAST...... :D :D :D :D :D

I get the reliability issue, I love to tinker, and I cannot help myself.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”