Buddy seat: how to mount

panzerama
Inactive member

Re: How to mount the buddy seat

Post by panzerama »

Cotten, not sure of the vintage of that buddy seat, it was on my '49FL when I got it long time ago. It looks like its been around for quite a while and has seen a lot of miles. The skirt is leather and the studs and speedballs are nickle not cheesy stamped repops with bad chrome.

Panpal, You're correct about the cotter pin holes in the rear bolts, my original bolts probably hit the highway shortly after the first set of wing nuts fell off. I put some grade 8 SAE fine thread back in there with clincher nuts, not correct but they stay on the seat. I always assumed that the assortment of spacers that came with the seat kit were for adjusting it to the riders needs. Same thing for the extra holes in the T-Bar and the slot for the nose bolt. I took the spacers out and lowered the seat a little, that Buddy Seat rides too high for me when you ride solo.
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

I got all the parts to mount these type seats and yours does look a little different than stock as cotton said its shorter(smaller) than mine and all the parts you showed is enuff to attach if you have t-bar and center post and that same setup works all the way up to late 60's i'm pretty sure on that.
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

Panzerama,
I'd like to hear more about this business of early safety concerns and banning of buddy seats you mentioned a couple posts back. What was the basis and what changed their minds?
Jonathan
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

Jun 11, 2005, 11:28pm, Cotten wrote:
However, if you would like the convenience of swapping seats easily without liberated hardware bouncing about, just capture 1/4" bolts with shaved nuts to form studs protruding down from the Buddy mounts on the seat. Loctite 'em good after you have found their sweetspot for installation, and re-tightened.
And capture the spring clips to the seat tee with 1/4" bolts with shaved heads.
Cotten, excuse my ignorance, but I'm a little confused about the term "shaved head" "shaved nut" etc. I created these, actually had a welder friend, create these to mimic the square head hardware. We had some square nuts around and 1/4 in bolts. They are a little short on thickness but seem close. Is this what you were explaining?
bolts.jpg
The one in the middle is one of 2 originals I had with the brackets etc.
Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Yes, the thinner heads allow for a more compact assembly when the spacer plate is eliminated.
Norseman68
Bikes: 48/66 Pan Shovel on Paughco frame

Re: Buddy seat: how to mount

Post by Norseman68 »

any idea what year this seat is
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

No image is attached.
DeltaElite
Bikes: Royal Enfield Bullet Classic
1962 FLHF

Post by DeltaElite »

Cotten wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:16 pm If you have a bare buddy seat, you will need at least the 52551-36 'nose' bracket....

You may also want the 52586-36 bracket and screws, and passenger footpegs...etc.,......etc.
Have the same Problem on my 62FLH DuoGlide. Want to put a buddy seat on (see pictures of front section) and can't figure out of what use the 52551-36 nose-bracket is. Do I have the wrong seat or t-bracket for this bike?

2nd: how to fasten the 52586-36 bracket? Couldn't find anything in parts book or service manual concerning fasteners or position.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

The brackets and mounting are shown here. The nose bracket on your seat is 45, the big twin one is used on all versions so the picture of the rigid shows it better.

DeltaElite
1962 FLHF

Post by DeltaElite »

So Bracket mounts with the single bolt in the hole in the T-Bar, correct?

Next thing I don't get is, why are the fastening bolts (5674) for the clamps squared? I mean, it would make sense if there would be a square recessed plate to prevent them from turning when the wing nut is turned but I can't see any recessed area. So what's the reason about them being squared?
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

DeltaElite wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:52 am So Bracket mounts with the single bolt in the hole in the T-Bar, correct?

Next thing I don't get is, why are the fastening bolts (5674) for the clamps squared? I mean, it would make sense if there would be a square recessed plate to prevent them from turning when the wing nut is turned but I can't see any recessed area. So what's the reason about them being squared?
Original brackets on the seat bases had a center rib that the square bolts contacted to prevent rotation. That seat has been modified elsewhere so no telling what was done to it in the past.
DeltaElite
1962 FLHF

Post by DeltaElite »

Maybe this TBar is not the right one. Looks like one of the short ones for WLA Solo.
DeltaElite
1962 FLHF

Post by DeltaElite »

Today I mounted spring clips and T-Bar. Unfortunately the pictures provided by @RUBONE are a bit dark so I am unsure how to align the clip holders and the base plate in conjunction with the TBar.

The only way to get enough clearance to the mounting of the handrail was to put the TBar 1 hole to the front.... but now the front bracket won't fit no more.

Can someone have a look at the pictures and tell if I assembled it correctly? Because if that is the case then the bolts for the front bracket have to be moved to another position. But before I cut them off and TIG them to a new position I want to make sure I did it right at the rear mount.
20220806_191532.jpg
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

It appears you are missing a 2 hole plate in your stack. I Think!
DeltaElite
1962 FLHF

Post by DeltaElite »

Oh😮where should that be? I've never seen it in any partscatalog by now.

Return to “Seat”