Engine Sprocket

64DUOGLIDE
Inactive member

Engine Sprocket

Post by 64DUOGLIDE »

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the late and early compensator sprockets? I know the spring, spring housing and nut changed, but I am wondering if you can put a late gear on an early setup. I want to try a 25 tooth sprocket, but I have only been able to find a 25 tooth sprocket for the newer model.

Thanks
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

They won't mix. The fingers are different, and will not mesh properly.

Jack
64DUOGLIDE
Inactive member

Post by 64DUOGLIDE »

Thanks for the info!
VT

Post by VT »

You can use a standard 24-T sprocket and not use the compensator at all.
Panhead Joey
Bikes: Harley Davidson 1959 FL Panhead 1964 FLH

Re: Engine Sprocket

Post by Panhead Joey »

I thought I was moving along quite well and learning a great deal nothing ventured nothing gained. I had removed all my clutch plates and discs including clutch hub nut everything was going quite smoothly. I wanted also to remove my engine/motor sprocket which has been impossible for me to remove after ordering my compensating sprocket nut. I had placed a locking jam bar between the clutch shell teeth and engine sprocket teeth so I can hopefully remove the engine sprocket. I made sure I was turning it counter clock wise, even used a rubber mallet striking it with several blows against my cheat bar but to no avail. As I was still trying to loosen the engine sprocket the clutch shell slid right of the clutch hub along with the primary chain. So,now I have only the engine sprocket still left on. This morning I noticed there was oil dripping from the engine sprocket I think created more problems for myself. The engine sprocket is still on and oil is still dripping out slowly. I'm not sure what I should do now with the clutch shell, clutch hub and primary chain off. Is it time to pass the torch to the professionals?

Thanks,

Joey
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Don't dig a deeper hole, Joey. Get it back together and run it awhile before you do anything drastic.
Just my advice.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The oil is likely from the engine "sumping" (do a search on here for tons of info) and likely has nothing to do with the engine sprocket. As far as I know there are no 25 tooth sprockets made for early style compensators. There are 25 tooth solid sprockets. Why do you want a 25 tooth sprocket? On a standard engine that is way over geared.
The best way to loosen the engine sprocket is to do so BEFORE you take the clutch apart. Just re-assemble the clutch and start over loosening the compensator nut and then removing the clutch. It won't take long.
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

Hi Rubone I was not trying to change or upgrade the engine sprocket I just wanted to remove what was originally on there. I cannot put the primary chain back on without removing the engine sprocket off. It has an endless primary chain so I was not able to fit it around the engine sprocket and clutch shell while installed. The only way to put the primary chain is to remove the engine sprocket completley of the shaft. The manual does state to install clutch shell, primary chain and the motor or compensating sprocket as an assembly and also disassembly. However, I have installed the clutch shell and clutch hub including all the internal plates but no primary chain.

Joey
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Sure you can, with the transmission adjusted forward installing the primary chain along with the clutch drum is simple with an endless chain.
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

Thanks Rubone on the transmission advice! I still plan on removing the compensating sprocket nut tomorrow any advice the best way to remove it. Also, I have been turning the compensating nut in a counter clock wise direction is that correct?

Thanks joey
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Yes, it is a normal right hand thread and CCW is correct to loosen.

Return to “Sprockets”