CV questions

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: CV questions

Post by caschnd1 »

Fourthgear,

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to modifying the CV carb. I don't like drilling the slides and a lot of the other mods that are popular (cutting the slide spring, etc.). I think you can do really well with a stock CV40 on a Panhead as long as it's jetted correctly. I also like the N86E needle set at stock height (no washers to lift it up above stock).
I'd recommend just starting out with the correct jetting for your setup and then tweak if you feel it's necessary. Remember that if you start oversizing holes in the carb body or slide it can be difficult to go back.
The Keihin CV40 is a pretty simple carb though. Be careful when working with the slide and diaphram. You don't want to pinch the diaphram or tear it when assembling the carb.
The main jet is #99101-393-XXX and the slow jet is #N424-25B-XXX (the XXX selects the jet size). I like Rage Performance because they sell the Keihin brand jets, not cheap knockoffs. Dependable quality but you'll pay a couple $ more per jet.
The jets the came stock with your carb will depend on what model bike it came on. The CV40 was used on Sportster, Evos, and TC88 engines. So the jetting varies quite a bit. If you remove the bowl you can read the main jet pretty easy. You'll probably need to remove the slow jet to read it's size since it's down inside the carb body and very hard to see.

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Thanks for all the info , theres enough to keep me busy with the carb for a while. I do not plan on altering it , except for changing jets as needed. I assume the port on the manifold side of carb. next to the throttle cable attachments is for the vacuum switch and needs to be plugged. This carb. is from a 2002 night train and has very few miles. Thanks all , I will keep this sight informed after I get all the parts to in stall the carb..
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I see I have a lot to digest as far as info on the CV , good stuff. The HD dealer in St.Augustine was going to give me a stock backing plate , nice gesture ,but the big ugly black plastic was not destined to be on a Panhead , so I bought the SE backing plate , stand off bolts and that retro air cleaner cover ( total $ 98.00 out the door ) I am going to make a plate to attach the cover on today and am going to use my K&N filter I have for the linkert. I set it up last night and it should work out ok. When I get all the parts to do this change over I will post photos of the process for others to reference , I got the adapter in the mail yesterday and all I need is the manifold and new throttle cable.
CknDnr
Bikes: 1959 Bastard FLH
1989 FLHTC

Post by CknDnr »

I think I have a S&S manifold if you need one....cheap!
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

fourthgear -

YES plug the port w/ good quality rubber cap.
agreed 'stock' blk backing plate is butt ugly & not appropriate for a Pan or any oldie. I throw them away.. so does HD..
Keep us posted, always like to see new ideas !!!!! ;D
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Ckndnr
I always seem to be a day and dollar short , I ordered one yesterday, damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I fabricated ( I had help from my two buddy's at work )the filter cover bracket and painted it yesterday and it worked out to just about perfection. I took photos and will post them when done with installing carb. The K&N filter I used with the Linkert worked out and yes I'm cheep , I couldn't see buying another filter when I had a perfectly good one already.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I got the new manifold from JP cycles yesterday and found it would not fit between the heads , (Its not a S&S , I wish I would have picked up the one from you ckndnr ) The distance between lips on my Colony manifold is 2.9 " and the one from JPs is 3.0 , Thats 1/10 of an inch diff.. The Colony one worked fine and had a gap between the lips ( o-ring lip ) of course on each side between head spigot lip and manifold lip. Its hard to hold the manifold up steadily enough to get a good measurement, I would say about an 1/8 of an inch. gap on both sides , like I said, just a guess. I have the new manifold at a machine shop to get it down enough to use it and called JP's tech. and told them the problem and he said " you know you have to have the heads loose to fit the manifold correctly " DA ! I told him that I shouldn't have to remove the heads to replace the manifold and it was aliened when I assembled the motor with the Colony manifold and he should check his stock to see if any others are that wide. He thanked me and said he will check the others.
Its just a minor set back and I will put the carb on tonight one way or another. Just wanted to get this out for the need to know info ,BUY THE S&S MANIFOLD , I guess buying cheaper is not always the way to go , live and learn and hope this helps the next guy.
CknDnr
Bikes: 1959 Bastard FLH
1989 FLHTC

Post by CknDnr »

If you still need it....cost of shipping and it is yours
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Got the carb on yesterday and all I have to say is WOW ! She started first kick after priming ,but took a while to stay running until I got the idle mixture adj.. Took her for a test ride and she stumbles a little at slow speed , but man its a diff. motor , so I will get jets today for it and see how she adj. to them. I had to cut a larger slot in the top of the air cleaner because it was too big to fit under my five gal. tanks , tucks in quit nicely now.I took photos of the whole process if any one wants me to post them I will.
I also did an experiment with starting her , after shutting her off for two hours , I just wanted to see if she would start with out any priming or enricher and yep , first kick got her going , I also did it again another two hours later with same results, now thats not bad , she starts first kick every time. The enricher is nice too ,when I first started her , I used the enricher to keep a good idle until she warmed enough to set the idle mixture correctly.
The way the fuel line goes now ( I have later mod. tanks, re-pop? ) no dipping , it goes straight to the carb. and down to the fuel inlet and short run too.
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

I for one would love to see those pictures. Just finished having the adapter pressed on to a CV I picked up at a swap meet, and I'm trying to figure out how to set up the support bracket. It's either going to go to the back of the S&S intake I'm running, or to the front of the carb. So post away when you have a chance...

-Kuda
'49 FL
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Post by gearbox on Sept 11, 2006, 1:46pm

kuda
I put support brackets on both of the top holes in the backing plate to two of the pan cover bolts. I saw the set up here some where. It works real good and if I wouldn't of come up short on stock , I wouldn't have needed a spacer ,but looks and functions perfectly. I will down load and post photos tonight. I have them from start to Finnish, it took me all weekend to finish , I think I spent more time on fabricating the brackets then any thing else.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

fourthgear,

I am tinkering with the idea of getting a CV and would like to see your photos as well. Is there a document that has been created as a reference to use instead of reading the many replies?

Thanks!

Mark
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

ozwick
Nothing that I know of ,but I will give brief descriptions of what is in each photo and what is going on. Its not to bad of a job , just make sure you have every thing you think you will need to do the job. The photos will help a great deal.
> Things you will need ;

-CV 40 carburetor ( from stock HD w/exc. pump and enricher cable)
-New type pull throttle cable ( I measured mine and came up with a 37 1/2 cable from a fltc , I think and its too long but works , I think I can go to a 35 1/2. or 33 ", you may need to change you throttle to newer type, out side cable.The CV carb. cables have longer cables in them for the longer reach that is needed to attach them.
- Screaming eagle round backing plate , I think is for an EVO motor.
- Three stand off bolts for stock air cleaner, bolts backing plate to carb..
- S&S intake manifold for Panhead ( not sure if they make them for plumbers manifolds ) , insulating spacer for carb w/gaskets.( mines about 1/2 inch. )
-Air cleaner cover of your choosing.
- You will need to make a cover bracket or use the stock SE air filter to attach the cover to.
- Metal stock of some sort, to make support brackets for carb or backing plate.
- I had to alter the stock cable bracket on the carb to clear the head.( cut the push cable holder off and bend the pull cable holder, or tweak it so to speak, I had to go out and buy a new Dremel tool (machine shop in a box) because after over fifteen years it took its last dump. )
- Need to pull plug from carb for idle mixture adj. screw.( look into posts here for proceedure info.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Fourthgear,

Glad to here you got it running. You gotta love the CV carb for easy starting. It's not stock and I wouldn't put one on my bike if I was going for that stock look. But for a modified bike they are hard to beat. Let us know how it goes when you get it rejetted.

Kuda,

You asked about where to put the support bracket. Put it on the air cleaner backing plate or some other place on the carb (I've seen em' hooked to the screws that hold the top on the carb). Even though the carb is pressed onto the adapter, you don't want it hanging out on the end of the manifold without support. The vibration is bound to loosen it up over time and cause a leak or worse yet, she'll fall off at the worst time. ;D

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I could only send a couple of photos at a time(long story ) and am going to just set a couple here for an over view when I get them all to this PC.
I have found one thing with the CV , I'm used to giving her some throttle when starting with the Linkert , but the CV don't like no throttle at all and if you forget that, it takes more than one kick.
caschnd1
With my five gal. tanks ( which aren't OEM any way ) it looks close to stock , that air cleaner is 8" in dia. any way so it hogs more room on the appearance of the motor.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”