CV questions

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: CV questions

Post by Panacea »

pantony, I ordered an adapter off e-bay but did not realize it was desighned to use the oem style rubber carb/intake seal, which not only increases how far out the carb sits but also doesn't help support the carb like a press on would. So watch which one you buy! Mike
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

panacea; I'm going to support the carb on the bottom (al-a Linkert style bracket) then hose from the male spigot on the carb to the "Branch"- Linkert to male Mikuni manifold. I will machine the adapter i will make so I can use a single stud on the bottom of the carb like a Linkert. Also machining up a fuel fitting to linkert fuel filter adapter so I will have an original style fuel line and carb mounting. Throttle will be my original 1948 spirals hooked up to the cruise control butterfly arm. I purposely looked for a cruise control carb for this reason. Also am machining up an adapter so the original choke lever from the Linkert will tie into the enricher cable. all parts will be either parkerised or cad plated when done. The air cleaner is an original J-slot with the recessed center cut out and a blank heliarced in it's place and cut to match the CV air cleaner bracket
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

Tony, sounds like you've got it under control! By the way, Nice bike! Mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Ya can wait to see photo's. You will see I think that for what ever reason, the Panheads intake system seems to like the CV carb. the change in all around performance is great. Mine starts first kick cold with no priming kicks , just a little squirt of accelerator pump when cold , none when warm. I think people stand around just to see how many it will take and are disappointed when I just push her thru to fire her up.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Fourthgear,

Funny you should mention the disappointment. I've noticed that more then a couple times myself. Seems like some guys are wanting to see you huff & puff & kick and when it starts right up you can actually see the look of disappointment on their face. LOL... Let's keep disappointing them ;D

-Craig
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

Never put a kill switch on a pan.....Makes em hard to start when you forget to turn em on. Mike
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

A "Kill" button is good though..Near the hand grip...
Don't have to remember to switch back on, & if the machine goes wild you have a Kill button handy ;D
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

hey i finally figured out how to mate a metal fuel line and linkert fuel screen to my CV!
it was a result of my winter project to eliminate all of the rubber components in my fuel and oil system.
if it warms up some in the shop i'll post some pictures later, it is 3 degrees out there right now!

john
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

John-

Take yer time, when ya get to it, I'd sure like to see yer mods.. Sounds Good..
I'm still riding ;D, & mowing my grass, but this may be the last time for the grass this winter...
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

now it warmed up and snowed 6 inches... i have to go fix the pull rope on the sno blower, i'll take the camera with me when i go back out!

i was able to use 2 1/8" pipe elbows, a hex nipple inbetween and a re threaded linkert float needle valve to make the assembly.
the trickest part was the float needle valve, i cut the top off and used a 1/8" npt die to rethread it and screwed it into the last elbow with some anti sieze on the threads.
the original plastic elbow on the cv was broken off, then i removed the brass insert by clamping it securely in a vise and gently twisting the carb body back and forth until it broke free. it is just pressed in from the factory.
after that i drilled the aluminum out to the correct size to pipe tap the side of the carb. this allowed the installation of the first elbow, female on one end male on the other. street elbow is what i think they call it.
i just screwed it together one piece then the next, the modified float needle valve went in last to make the change from pipe thread to the top of the fuel screen.
voila! no more rubber gas lines! with the offset created by the elbows the distance is correct to use a stock steel gas line.
if i ever want to put a linkert on my bike for show it would be an hour job!

john ;D
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

John-

Nice clean job... Looks like it grew there..
I also put the enricheners in the same location= quick made bracket...
So that's a snow-blower....Yep it does match yer Pan's color..
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

So, you fire her up yet? Looks real good.
They got trucks down here that advertise " FREE SNOW REMOVAL ". They can get away with it here.
john HD

Post by john HD »

the snow blower got quite the workout after i posted that pic, went through 2 tanks of gas!
as for the bike, yes i fired her up after i completed the fuel screen project and no leaks!

john
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

John-

In case your snow gets really bad.. This is a Big Block Chevy that blows snow (reportedly) 200 ft... Here it is running @ just above idle, as witnessed by the rain-cap flappers barely open on the header/stacks ;D ;D

Kids: Don't try this at home...
john HD

Post by john HD »

now i need one of them!
i wonder if he reversed the radiator fan to keep his feet warm?

john

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”