CV questions

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: CV questions

Post by fourthgear »

I put four photo's in the miscellaneous files in the panhead gallery and as soon as the boss approves them I will try to send them on this forum. I have a bunch of photo's because I wanted to document the whole process. I just put those four in because they do show an over view.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

fourthgear,

I look forward to checking out your installation!
Thanks for the photos.

ozwick
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I'm not sure I like the air cleaner cover , it looks like one of those metric cruisers and too large. I think if I were to do it again w/ 5 gal. tanks , I would not have centered the cover , I could have dropped it down an inch and I think it would have been enough. I think stock 3 1/2 gal tanks would not have gotten in the way so much or at all , my old re-pop from the Linkert might fit , I will check it out tonight and if I like it will take a photo.
I looked at my jets last night and I have a 190 main jet and a 45 pilot jet( came from a 2002 Twinkie) , so I ordered a 175 main and a 50 pilot to start with. I did have a stumble at the very low end and It seemed like I had all kinds of power at the upper end ( as far as my three mile test ride could do, its been raining here every day since I changed out , of course ) but I could not do the test @ speed as was described in the articles I read from the links here , but will do it when I change the jets. Tonights bike night at the local wing place and its going to rain all day , of course. I will also try the high speed test before I change the jets when ever it gives us a break , I was hoping I could tonight.

Oh ya, thanks boss!
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

cool, cant wait to see the pics.......
but please remember some of us are dial up....so not to.......BIG.......please...LOL ;D ;D

mbskeam
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Four of the photos are in miscellaneous files in the panhead gallery, how do you transfer the address link to get them over to this sight? I tried a couple of times after reading about loading photos and no luck. I tried to copy and past and that didn't work.Do you just type the address on here?
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

Fourthgear- I just cut-n-pasted them.. Hope this IS what U wanted... ;D

PS: you can easily lower your outer air cover just drill & tap a lower hole...

Plus: Nice double support brackets !!!! SOLID !!!!
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

You the man , sleeper , I must have done something wrong with the copy & paste or this PC at work won't let me. I will put a few more in to day and see if I can do it from home tomorrow.
That carb is rock solid just as the Linkert was , may be better ( I hope the linkert gods are not listening.) , I saw that idea in this forum some where and it worked out ok , just took a while to bend them to the perfect angles to fit with out putting a strain on the assembly.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Nice clean install... Looks Fine
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Well I got new jets the other day for the CV and they sent the wrong main jet I even had the right part number on the invoice ( I did change the pilot jet from a 45 to a 50) , so I have to send it back to get the right one, oh well. I rode her in to work today and just can't believe the diff. in just changing the carb.. I wanted to give a fuel mileage update , but with out the right main jet I can't but , I do see a diff. already , too early to tell with out going thru a few tanks of fuel for consistency.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Well after riding the weekend after just replacing the pilot jet from a 45 to a larger 50 , I have a popping at just opening the throttle in any gear other wise she runs great. I read in one of the links posted here that you can put a washer under the main needle for a richer low speed setting. I have not changed the main jet yet because they sent the wrong jet , its still a # 190 and my plugs look clean ,but more on the lighter side of tan. Now will that.50 or 1/16 brass washer under the main needle put me too rich or should I get the needle that can be set at diff. settings? I think I will put the # 45 pilot jet back in because it sure ran a lot better with it , but still had a slight popping in the same throttle setting.
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

I'd go back to the 45 and shim the needle up slightly. A tiny washer will do the trick, you don't really need the adjustable needle unless you plan on doing frequent mods. But I'm not sure you're going to need anything smaller than a 185 on the main. I'd just shim the needle and give it a shot first. If haven't reordered yet, I'd get a 175 AND a 185. Weird thing about the K CV's is the way a change in one area (low speed jet, needle, or main jet) bleeds into other areas. In other words, going up one size in the low jet effects the needle area too. And changing the position of the needle will effect the high speed, too. Don't ask me how, however, but I've played around with the CV on my other bike and done dozens of dyno runs on it, and I've seen this happen many times... Worst case scenario, they also make a 46 low speed...

-Kuda
'49 FL (soon to be CV too)
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

yes there is a 46 & a 48
but sounds like you may need to go a bit richer on the 'idle-mix' (screw is located under the carb). bout 2 or 2 1/2 turns out works for me..
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Kuda
You are probably right on about one thing changing another, I kinda expected that. I would have thought that changing the pilot to a 50 would have taken care of it. My plan tonight is to first do as Sleeper advised , I will open the idle mixture screw about a half turn( its open two turns now) and see how that does and then washer the needle and see where I am then. I've been busy putting a fence up and have not had time right now to play. I should be seeing my 175 jet real soon so if this set up doesn't work I will start over with the 175.
Thanks for the input , any help I can get is good since I know close to nothing about CV carbs, more now than a month ago though.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Well , I finally got around to adj. carb and changing the hight adj. on the main needle. Adj. the idle mix did not make a diff. (I was hopeful that would be it ), but putting.050 brass washers under the needle made a big diff. although I still have a pop only once in a while and am beginning to think it is other than the carb now. She cranks right up through with no hesitation even at low speed , which is when it was happening and seems to be running cooler ( yes you could feel the diff. in heat between your legs )I will have to run some miles this way to make a better evaluation of it and let you know.
I am going to put my Mallory in this weekend to see if my slight popping is ignition or some thing else ( I haven't adj. my lifters in a couple of thousand miles so there could be some thing there too)
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

If you turn out adj screw 3 turns, & still have this problem,
Go up 1 pilot jet size, & re-set idle-mix @ 2 turns out..

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”