CV questions

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Re: CV questions

Post by hplhd »

i hope someomne sees this. i finaly got around to starting to mount a cv carb i picked up from a buddy. i had a manifold leak i found(thanks cotten for tips and mike for your pressure kit) i bought the adapter(press on) for the carb. now finaly my question. has anyone had trbl with the throttle cable bracket hitting the head. i ground of the half of it as i am only running 1 cable but its still will not fit due to it hitting the head. it makes the carb want to sit to far to the left of the manifold. what the hell is going on.i have cast finned rocker boxs on but i don't think that is the prob, or is it. thanks,rich
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Are you using a phenolic spacer too?
That will give ya an additional approx 3/8" clearance, & help prevent heat transfer..
if still stuck, can ya post a pic?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

mine is real close too. i did as you mentioned and edited the throttle cable bracket. i completely removed the cable ferrule and used two nylon lawn mower style cable stop nuts.
keep in mind my bike uses the stock push throttle wire so i had no other choice.
i think sleeper's suggestion would give you the clearance you need.

john
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

billy, john, it looks like 2 of the 3/8 spacers will make it work. do you think that will mess anything up stacking them. i've seen alumin ones that are thicker but they cost to much. also on the carb adapter that sells on ebay(press on) i just noticed the studs i use are much larger dia. than what the cat tapped in the adapter and the bore hole is a WHOLE lot smaller. any prob with the carb transitioning like that. sorry for the jumbled questions, i hit my head on the ice yesterday and have a concusion.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

hplhd1-

I have never found the need for this much clearance. However- I would try the stack first, the fat alum block is a 'heat-sink'..
You can tap to your size if you feel it necessary.
As far as the intake id being larger (if I understand you correctly?)
no problem there HD has been doing that for decades if not longer. It is also the 1st principal of "venturi" by Bernoulli.. aka Makes intake charge faster.

Hope yer head feels better....
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

thanks billy, i'll try the stack. i don't remeber ever reading anyone having this problem before. i reread my last post and i confused myself with the last question. you are right i meant the dia of the carb and adapter is much smaller than the sse manifold. as far as my head, the headache is getting worse. the upset stomach went away(kinda). i'll go to the er om monday if it's not better.
thanks again
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

hplhd,

i don't think you will have a problem with the different diameters. i run an old su style manafold with a rubber spigot adaptor. it runs good and has excellent throttle response.
hope you head feels better quick.

john
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I had to alter my throttle bracket on mine a little , I used my Dremil tool to grind off a little and also bend it a little to clear the head assem. I think I took photos of it and will look for them. The problem with adding more spacers is on how much the carb. sticks out and my be uncomfortable riding with it sticking out too far.

hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

thanks guys, before i monkey with the carb i have to seal the manifold. the manifold looks fine and the nipple looks good but i can't get the sumbitch to not leak air. do yall put the orings on dry or any goober glob shit i can lay it to help. man i should just leave shit alone.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

hplhd1
Use new o-rings if you are having problems, once they have been compressed and leak , they might have been pinched by the nipple or cut and you may not be able notice it. No goobers on them , put them on clean and dry. They can be a pain some times to get on. I put them on the head spigot and roll them on to the manifold , the pressure of both o-rings help hold the manifold in place so you can put the clamps on , but keep a hold on the manifold when putting the clamps on or you could dislodge the o-rings.
As far as bending the throttle bracket , make sure you don't try to bent it by the cable guide , its only crimped on. I had mine off the carb to tweak it and I also cut the push cable side of the bracket off before I played with bending it , I use the pull cable only, depends on your set up.
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

i haven't tested yet but i noticed when i bolted the plate on the manifold to pressure test i left the support that is in between the cylinders. when i tighten the bolt on the support it pulls the manifold off to one side just a c hair, but enough to probably keep from sealing it up. i got to play with the support bracket.
4th gear, i bought new o-rings and clamps from vtwin. one of the clamps immediately broke as i was trying to tighten. i'll use the old clamps. after i hit it with some air i'll let ya know.
paddy
Bikes: 1965 FL panhead
1947 FL knucklehead
1940 ULH flathead
1941 ULH flathead
1939 UH flathead

Post by paddy »

Has anyone put cv on knuckle head?? What jets are you using?? I am still working it out but i am up to a 54 pilot and 190 high and middle clip on needle. Just wondering if anyone else has had to jet this rich to get it to perform,Paddy

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”