CV questions

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

CV questions

Post by fourthgear »

My 2002 CV carb just arrived from my buddy up north and I know it only has about fifty miles on before he changed it over to a S&S , I have been reading the posts that I have found. Does the carb just press out of the stock manifold? As far as adapting it , is that press in adapter available only from eBay? Is the flanged manifold for panhead to 38 mm carbs ( from JPs ) The one I need to install the adapter? I 'm not sure I want to try milling the manifold for the stock type set up yet (like was in one of the posts ) But am open to what works the best. You people are in the know. thanks
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: CV questions

Post by caschnd1 »

Fourthgear,

The CV carb should pull easily out of the stock manifold. It's only held in by a rubber seal so it's comes out easily.
I've only seen the press-on adapters available on eBay.
Without more detail about the manifold you are looking at in the J&P catalog, I don't know if this will work. I use a S&S manifold with the press-on adapter.

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

caschnd1
There are two and am not sure which one to use , part # 400-238 says its for S&S E & B carbs with o-ring and part # 400338 which just says 55-65 Panhead manifold , not sure which is which or which is the one in the photo. They are on page 12 of my JP vintage cat.

And just where is that adapter on E confuse Bay?
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

The press-on adapter on eBay is designed to make the CV carb bolt up to the same manifold as a S&S E carb. I'd get the manifold that is desigened for the S&S E. Go to eBay and search for... Shovelhead CV

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Found the adapter and ordered one. Now the manifold,so I need the S&S manifold , I will order one and an insulator block for it. I see I can convert a screaming eagle backing plate , which is not plastic to use. Has any one used the Linkert backing plate and cover? Mine is an after market set up any way so altering it would be of no consequence to me.
One more question , I have five gal. tanks , do I need more spacing to clear them?
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Fourthgear,

I run a backing plate similar to the SE you are talking about. Very simple thing.
Make sure you build a support to run from the backing plate down to the motor case bolt between the jugs. You have to support the carb well or you'll have intake leaks galore. There are some other ways to build support brackets then what I just described. I just haven't tried them.
Also notice that the air cleaner doesn't stick up above the top of the carb. I don't have the same tanks you have (mine is a 2.2gal peanut) but I don't think you'll have any clearance issues.

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

caschnd1
That looks good. Are there any ports in the carb pertaining to the backing plate that I have to make sure are open to inside of air cleaner? I know there is a post I'm going to have to look up on jetting and I know it was recent. I'm going to order the S&S manifold today, I was going to wait till the end of the season to change the carb , but I kinda want to check it out sooner since I can ride year round down here (except during Hurricanes of course).
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Fourthgear,

If you are using a modified SE backing plate, it should already work with the CV carb (as long as it's not a backing plate for a fuel injected bike). If you are making your own backing plate, then I'd try to get my hands on a backing plate from a new bike with a CV and use it as a pattern to cut the opening for this backing plate. Or for that matter, go get the gasket that goes between the carb and the backing plate and use that as a template.

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

caschnd1
I was thinking about the after market backing plate and cover from the linkert, can it be modified or is that a total waste of time? Its the type with the screw dead center of the cover or should I get a SE and go from there. I have the stock org. cover and backing plate for the CV and of course I'm not going to use it ,but do have all the patterns I need to set some thing else up.
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

I've never looked at modifying an old linker backing plate. When I took off my linkert, I left the air cleaner cover and backing plate and left them with the carb. That way if I go back I have all the pieces. H-D makes a nice "retro" air cleaner cover with the one screw in the middle that will work with after market backing plates. Looks closer to original then a stock Evo air cleaner cover.

-Craig
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

When I did my CV, I wanted to use the SE plate/element and found that you can purchase these items seperate from the dealer. I had him look up SE kit #29008-90A to fit '90-'92 Evos. This has a backing plate that needs only for you to fill in three holes with some JB weld to be sealed.
Once he found that kit, he could get the part numbers for the components. I was able to buy just the backing plate, carb/plate spacer, radiused ring to hold it all to the carb, gaskets, even grabbed the three screws while I was there. The SE air cleaner is a K&N unit, was about the same price as a K&N from anyone else, fit right on with no mods, so I got that too. Maybe could have saved a few bucks scrounging around, but this was quick, went right together, and wasn't outrageously priced.
For a cover, you do have lots of choices. Once I made the center stud/backing plate brace and went with the "retro" round cover, came out pretty good.

sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I've always been leary of plugging the holes w/JB alone.
I counter-sink the holes, then add screws, & nuts on the outside.
RED-Loc-tited Grind down anything that ain't flush on the inside..
peace of mind for me, from the thought of the motor 'inhaling a chunk of JB'
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I have seen that retro cover and its about fifty bucks , looks good RussW. I was at one time thinking about putting it on my linkert. Its a eight inch dia I believe insted of seven. It looks like the best way to set this CV up is using a SE backing plate and that retro cove. Thanks all for info, I will pick your brains when I get around to tuning it.

caschnd1
I see that you have jet sizes also with that link , do you know what comes in a stock carb or should I look and any way I can get a schematic on the CV or do I have to buy a manual? What is the name of the CV any way (CV 40? )Who makes it Kiehn?( or how ever its spelled )As you can see I don't know squat about it.
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

Check here...lots of info http://nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dirtpandan58
Inactive member

Post by dirtpandan58 »

try google...cv carb tuning

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”