Blue streak points

All ignition related articles
Gearbox
Inactive member

Blue streak points

Post by Gearbox »

Author: gearbox

Does any one know the Blue streak points and condenser part numbers ? I have the newer point set with the pin that you use a screw driver to move them in and out . I just think that $ 20 from JPs is a bit much and I know I can get them else where for cheaper if I had there part #, I like to save every nickle I can.

Post by bigmike

Chevy 6 cylinder points and condenser work fine in a nosecone chubblehead, I forget what ones fit the single point and dual point breakers for a generator motor. Take your old ones to a NAPA, they can match them up for you.

Post by gearbox

Thanks big Mike , I think the ones I have in my new after market auto adv. timer are the ones I used to put in cone cover Shovels. I had the guy at advance auto pull a couple of point sets for some thing like a 66 Chevy and they were not what we use on the timers , they had the cond. attached to the point assembly. I don't want to pull my points out until I have a replacement to put in there and I do like the Blue Streak points. I don't know how many I put in Shovels , changed a lot of the early electronics and replaced them with BS because people just did not like the HD early elec. ign. systems .

Post by bigmike

You can't go to Advance/Discount auto parts, the point sets they carry are all the type that condenser and points are on a common base. NAPA carries Standard Motor Parts (bluestreak) and Echlin. They still make both types. (I always told them Chevy pickup, 70, 250" six)

Post by gearbox

Big Mike
Thanks , I'll try that .

Post by gearbox

Found out that Standard bought out Echlin and NAPA here could not get Blue Streaks , The guy thought that Echlin bought out Blue Streak a couple of years ago , who knows this stuff. I did buy a set of Echlin and it was from a 70 Chevy 250 . The points have three times the contact area of the ones that came with my after market auto adv. timer. The only slight problem is the slot for adj. them in and out is not exactly centered over the pin for adj.. The whole set up is a lot better quality( not surprising ) , two nuts for the wires instead of just the spring pressure of the point spring( this is probably why my cond. wire came loose) One of the shops here has a set of Blue Streaks I'm going to pick up today and I may put them in or just keep for spare. I have photos of the two point sets if any one wants me to post them.

Post by panfreak

I believe the number you're after for the points is DR1823. They're from a '53 vette or 41-46 chev 6 cylinder. That's a blue streak number, only problem is you have to drill out the hole for the post SLIGHTLY to fit. BTW the condenser number for blue streak is DR90X.
I have these in my manual advance for the pan, works just fine.

Post by jarhead

fourthgear, please post the photos of the two point sets. I would like to see the difference.

Post by gearbox

I went to pick up the blue streak points Fri. and after looking at the blue streaks ( owner was out and the sales guy quoted me a higher price) The Echlin's looked like a better product, so the price and I liked the Echlin's better , I think I will stick with the Echlins.
Something I did notice is after replacing the points ,I started her and she fired right up but , did not warm her or take her for a ride until Sat. morning and I also changed to my normal Champion plugs ( had a set of AC 's in ) The Idle had to be lowered. It may be the points were not adj. exactly @ .22 but they sure had to be close , I like a tight .22 and I don't think the plugs had anything to do with it, just strange. I will post photo's of points after I send them to this PC. from home. Ya I'm working hard at my job.

Post by mbskeam on Apr 18, 2006, 5:33am

what store did you get these from?
part numbers, please

mbskeam

Post by jarhead

Thanks for the photos fourthgear.

Post by gearbox

From NAPA , those are NAPA numbers , right # is points and left box# is condenser. It came to 18.34 with tax . I still like the Echlins more than the Blue streaks , even though I did not buy the BS's . You can see the difference between the points that came with the after market timer and the Echlins.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Blue streak points

Post by 58flh »

I have always used Bluestreak & Echlins!---If you look close at Blues or Echlins--the Points themselves have more surface area & stronger arms!--Also the Bs Es both have the bolt-up conectors for poer & condensor!,Look at the arms!--More meat & more of a bend!-(this will hold the arm under RPM from twisting or moving on ya!)--I have compared both of these to --(Drag speacialties, accel, stock HD!, & about 4 others!)---The 6-CYL. Chevy BLUESTREAKS & ECHLINS have ALL them beat HANDS DOWN!--I also would like to add that the spring-pull on the HDs & accel,& Drag speacialtys are -(19OZs of pull if you dont over fold them!)--Echlins & BS points have 22OZs of pull! & you cant overfold them as they are preset to the axis pin!, nothing to fight with & wrap!.---Im telling you guys about the springpull because some of the hotrodders out there DO NOT have to worry about POINTS BOUNCE & (breakin-up at hi-RPMs)--Also nothing can vibrate out from the hook-up because its all bolted with a brass-nut & lockwasher!,--instead of that push in under a tight squeeze deal!. NOW on some timers,mostly early ones the points wont fit into that little hole thats at the axis!--(just match a drillbit & run it thru by hand its that close!--Most fit from just the wear of service over the yrs.!--I have personally ran a set of Echlins for 5yrs. in a row!--& RACK IT ON! Mileage wise!---They were still good when I finally changed them!,-I still have them in my bag for a spare points & condensor set!-(ya never know) :lol: . So this has been my EXP. & testing of the 2 against the others available out there!--See for yourself next-time you change-up!---RICHIE 8)
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

All the GOODIES are getting HARDER & Harder TO GET!//IF anybody happens to come by a box or better yet a PALLET of Bluestreak -6-cyl.-chevy points from 60s/GET a Number & we should Pony up what we can & split the shipment!/I would be down for that & Im sure a few others would to!.Shit We order a Pallet of VALVOLINE-VR1-ST.60-Racing oil. That lasts 2trs. of riding which in our case equals-17-18 months If were lucky on the 18!.I still have my Biz.Account open with Autozone./So that's a LITTLE savings NOT MUCH!---Anything LIQUID,ELECTRONIC,or Vacuum-electric triggered switch is not covered at all!.---So If someone has an open ear on the Proper BLUE-STREAKS/IM IN!---Respectfully----RICHIE
58demon
Bikes: 1958 FLH Duo-glide, 1993 FXSTS restored

Post by 58demon »

New to the site, thanks for all the great info and part numbers.. :)
PainterRon
Bikes: 1981 shovelhead
1948 EL Panhead

Post by PainterRon »

This is a "go-to" post with lots of good info...

Return to “Ignition”