Linkert carb bushings removal and install

Linkert related issues
chucktx

Linkert carb bushings removal and install

Post by chucktx »

hey ya'll.....been reading here since i joined a while back....lots of great info. i finally got the 65 all back together, but the throttle shaft and bushings are worn a bit. i have ordered new, and was wondering if there is anything special about the removal and install of the new bushings??? thanks for the help from this board.........
chucktx
thsmith

Re: Linkert carb bushings

Post by thsmith »

Chuck,

There are several experts here on Linkerts, Cotten being one. I have not done this but either the service manual or the Linkert Book describes how to do this. I forget which one. If I remember I will look tonight and can sent you a scanned image of the instructs, again, if I remember. My service manaul is for 48-57s but I would think the same would apply for a 65.

Tracy
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Palmer's also has good info.

The trick for easy removal of the bushings is to thread a metric tap into them until it sticks, and then tap it out from the other end.

Your fit will depend a lot upon the quality of the replacement parts. Avoid beating upon the new bushings to install them. I pilot them with a ground .248" rod that extends through both bushings.

Although pro shops usually pay special attention to finishes with techniques that DIYers haven't the resources for, there are really only a few aspects of a carb rebuild that 'amateurs' cannot address.

Among them are shrunken venturies, accurate remachining of needle points, bowldecks, manifold flanges (flatties anyway), and last but not least, borewear from the throttleplate into the carb body itself.
If you've got a lathe, you could probably figure those out as well.

Linkerts are great carbs: very repairable, just tedious to be thorough, and occasionally abused. If you want a challenge, try a potmetal Schebler!
chucktx

Post by chucktx »

thanks for the responses.......i appreciate it.
the way i did it was to drill out the two bushings with an undersize drill bit. i did this very slowly, and when the bit neared the bottom of the bushing, it started spinning it. it was an easy job then to remove them. to install i used the old throttle shaft. i placed the bushing on the old shaft and inserted it through the carb body and tapped it into place. it seems to have worked ok. probably not the best way but is was a way to do it.........again, thanks for the replys.....
chucktx
spydyr
Bikes: 48 Pan, 2009 Fatboy, 2012 Heritage

Re: Linkert carb bushings removal and install

Post by spydyr »

I know this is old but the tapping trick worked for me. Used a 7x10mm tap. Put about 3 threads in and took the old throttle shaft and tapped it all out. Worked perfectly.
crazybird
Bikes: 1947 WL

Re: Linkert carb bushings removal and install

Post by crazybird »

I just replaced the bushings in my M88 and this thread was a life saver! Thx guys. :D

Return to “Linkert”