CV carb on my 1953 pan

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
1950 bobber

Re: CV carb on my 1953 pan

Post by 1950 bobber »

Ozwick......I use the PUSH type throttle sleeve on my S&S Super B. If you need digital pics of the sleeve spiral direction of PUSH vs. PULL...email me and I'll take some pics for you.
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

I've been reading all of the good things about the CV. How does the S&S perform?
I would welcome some pics of your setup. I run my original push spiral setup with my Linkert and would like to stay as original as possible.

Thanks!
1950 bobber

Post by 1950 bobber »

Ozwick...

By the way, an OEM HD PUSH type spiral that would be used on S&S Super B's... will have the spiral inside the sleeve having a Counter-Clockwise twist (or "spiral") as viewed from the spiral end view.

1950 bobber

Post by 1950 bobber »

Ozwick...

You can obviously can keep the stock handlebar setup as you know since you are already running the PUSH type grip...(sorry for my post, I thought you were looking to add the PUSH type sleeve...I wasn't getting that you already had this set-up!). As for the CV vs. the S&S, I can't help you there...I never ran a CV on my Pan although I do run a CV on my 82ci Shovel and it is everything all our Pan buddies are saying here...fast start-ups, smooth and powerful running, etc. As for the accelerator-type S&S Super B...I can't imagine it running any better than the CV but to me it looks better...vanity?.... maybe! But...I would invite anyone else who knows the difference to please comment here for you.

I run a Goodson air cleaner on my S&S along with a Thunder-jet systen, an internal DaVinci power boost and I added the long "thumb screw" float bowl retaining screws. It stands the same outward distance from the motor and by adding the smaller Goodson air cleaner, it sure makes for a "beefy" see-all carb...I can only tell you it focuses your eyes toward that beefy carb immediately when you look at my Pan! Difference in performance? Don't rightly know but I'm satisfied with my system. Email me at jfranco@ureach.com and I'll get a few pics for 'ya!

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Ozwick said...
I have some questions.

Which model / year fitment CV to use on a 59' pan?
Which models to avoid/ no accellerator pump?
Choke cable needed?
I would want to run my stock 4 bolt manifold, what adaptors / gaskets needed?
Is it a must to re-jet if it has not been done?
Ozwick, I'll take a shot at your questions...

1) Which model? I've used anything from '93 up to 2002 from Evo, TC88, or sportsters (the sportster was a '9Cool.

2) Avoid any CV that doesn't have an accelerator pump. Be careful because some have the pump cast into the carb body but it's not fully machined and is not functional (I've only seen these on the Buell Blast).

3) Yes, you will need the choke cable, spring, valve, elbow, and the little black plastic part that screws it into the CV carb body.

4) Not sure how you'd use your stock manifold. Two problems... first, I don't know anyone who makes an adapter for that manifold... and second, the manifold is too short. The CV carb is too big to fit all the way back between the cylinders. Notice how long the original Linkert carb is allowing it to reach the manifold easily. You might be able to have someone custom make you an adapter, but that's a lot of trouble and I don't think it's worth it. I use and S&S intake and a press on adapter on the carb from eBay.

5) It's not likely that the jetting in any CV carb you buy is going to be perfect from the start. That would just be blind luck. Count on the fact that you're gonna need to do some work to tune it.

-Craig
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I agree w/Craig-

Additionally, there is another variable *Ethanol* blended gas.
Seems to make a well jetted carb want to run a bit leaner=hotter.
Might depend on yer location & the fuel blends they use. If ya can believe them..
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

caschnd1,

I have been thinking of either rebuilding my Linkert or buying all the pieces to go with a CV. What would an average cost of all the pieces cost, minus the CV carb?

Thanks,

ozwick
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Ozwick, I think 88 or 89 was the first CV with a throttle pump. Mike
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Just a quick brainstorm of additional items you'll need:

1) Air cleaner backing plate (probably $25 on eBay)
2) Air cleaner (haven't bought a K&N in so long... $25?)
3) Air cleaner cover ($15 on ebay?)
4) Press-on CV to two-bolt adapter $35

You'll need to fab a support bracket so cost depends on how you approach it. Also, you may need throttle cable and throttle depending on what system you have right now.

-Craig
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

So $100 for parts you listed
another $30 for a pull style spiral; I want to keep my internal stock spiral.
Can I use my stock aluminum Linkert manifold with the 4 holes or do I need to get another type of manifold?
So If I can get a nice CV for around $100, I should be into this around $250.00?
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Oh ... LOL... yeah... the intake manifold... I kinda forgot that important little part ;D I'm not aware of any adapter that will allow you to use the OEM intake. I'm using an S&S intake (cost ~$50 if I recall).

$100 for a CV carb is probably on the high end of the spectrum. I've never paid more the $50 for a CV on eBay and one time I got two for $48! I bid on unmolested CV carbs only. No jet kits, no thunder slides, no mods at all are my preference. You'll probably need to spend another $20 for the correct jets and a better needle so you can tune the carb properly for a panhead. So if you pay $50 for the carb and $20 for tuning pieces, that's $70.

-Craig

P.S. This stuff adds up pretty fast when you start buying it all new. I've collected most of my parts at swap meets or on eBay and it helps keep the cost down.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

If you have access, you can machine a 4 bolt adapter...It ain't rocket science.. ;D
Good Luck..
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Sleeper,

Have you actually used an adapter w/ a OEM 4-bolt manifold? I've considered this because it would get the carb much farther inboard, but I didn't look to me like there would be room between the cylinders for the carb to squeeze in there.

-Craig
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

Man,

Don't know which way to go here. Now with the additional S&S manifold it seems that the cost will be around $250. I have 2 Linkert's and am talking with Cotten now about rebuilding one of them. But, I would like better performance and mileage but not sure if I want to change everything.
What is the earliest year with the accelerator pump and the latest year of CV I can use?

Thanks for all the assistance!

ozwick
henriksonne

Post by henriksonne »

Which CV carb will be best suited for my 61" panhead? She is a 1948. I have at feeling the current 38 mm Quicksilver from Edellbrock is to big!

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”