Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
chucklbones
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: CV carb on my 1953 pan

Post by chucklbones »

hey now
thanks for the replys i dont have it on yet still useing ss b just trying to cross the i and dot the t
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I pulled my S&S shorty E off this week and bolted a CV with adapter on that came as a spare with the bike. The bore in the S&S is much larger than the CV. Is this going to be a problem? I have about a 3/16 step from the CV bore to the S&S manifold.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

PanPal,

I've run two different adapters. One adapter changes the S&S manifold to a rubber Evo like fitting for the CV. It's sloped and gradually changes the bore size for the carb to manifold interface. The other adapter is like yours. It presses onto the carb and there is an abrupt step from the CV bore to the S&S manifold bore. I started out with the sloped adapter, then switched to the press on using the same bike w/ same carb. I didn't notice any perfomance difference between the two setups.

-Craig
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Thanks Craig,

I'll try it the way it is.
My65pan

Post by My65pan »

I just put a cv on my 74" pan with a press on style adapter. I also used the old style internal throttle components, but machined a new custom handlebar end for my drag bars to accept a stranded cable/housing set-up for the internal cable. The cv spring is plenty for return with this set-up. Cold starts and idle are way smoother than with the SS E I had on before. my 2 cents.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Panpal-
The differences would be comparable (in theory) to the Old Linkerts & their "Venturi" which is much smaller than the intake's I.D. & their Venturi had a flat drop at the inside end, where it just stopped abruptly....
The Venturi was made based on a fluid passing through smoothly varying constrictions & subject to changes in velocity and pressure, as described by "Bernoulli's Principle". A Venturi is a system for speeding the flow of the fluid, by constricting it in a cone-shaped tube. They are found in many applications where the speed of the fluid is important, like a carburetor.

From: The Swiss scientist, Daniel Bernoulli (1700-1782)..

So don't sweat the bigger intake ID. HD has been doing things this way from the earliest days.
The I.D. of the CV has a (cone shaped) Venturi, Bigger on the outside, funneling in smaller..
Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL »

Billy
I am impressed! Very Happy
How the hell do you remember that stuff? Surprised
Hell, I can't remember what I did yesterday much less some obscure phenomenon and the name of the guy that discovered it! Bad case of "CRS"! ???
I hadn't even thought of "Bernoulli's Principle" since I got out of Tech.

Red
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Red-

Well, I constantly save "links" (of value) & add pertinent footnotes to them. (for easy memory triggers & quick reference)...Plus my manuals & etc..
In alphabetical order (of course) Wink
HD is still using the same principle, as (stock) CV's push into the bigger intakes, w/rubber seal.
On the 'adapter-bolt-on CV's'...... I prefer using an "Insulating spacer", to help prevent 'heat transfer'.
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Thanks Billy!

I have the insulator, only one side of it has an O-ring. The S&S had and O-ring, but the CV adapter doesn't have the groove.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

PanPal-

Just use a gasket on the other side.
txpan49
Inactive member

Post by txpan49 »

Craig,

I notice you are running a 50 main jet on your Pan. I installed my CV and guess I missed the jet size cause I was running at 45 here at sea level. I think I am very lean. Do you think the 50 runs a bit on the rich side or is it just right? I have a 48 I am about to try.

Russ
Mick Inniss

Post by Mick Inniss »

You guys think a 38 mm would work on my 59 Pan with a stock motor, 74 cu? Got a chance to get one off a Sporty!!! Would I jet it like suggusted before on this Forum 50 Slow Jet, 175 Main, Needle Jet 0.115, Needle type N86E? Someone said the dimentions of the carbs are the same just different Jetting!!! Thanks Mick Inniss :-/
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Mick,

Be careful with the Sportster CV. Some of the early ones didn't have an accelerator pump. You don't want that one. The later Sporties used the CV40, same as on the Evo.

Russ,

Sorry I missed your question! I ran a #48 on my panhead initially and it worked pretty well. But it had a tendancy to run lean in the colder months when morning temps were in the 30's. I like the #50 for winter. I think I'll switch back to the #48 for the summer now that the temps are consistantly over 100F.

-Craig
mick inniss

Post by mick inniss »

Thanks for the tip on the Sporty CV Smile I don't know much about them. I guess I'll just keep searching for a 40 Thanks again Mick Inniss
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

I found this link at the Perry Ruiter website regarding pull style throttle sleeve, http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PanThrottleGripSleeve.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have some questions.

Which model / year fitment CV to use on a 59' pan?
Which models to avoid/ no accellerator pump?
Choke cable needed?
I would want to run my stock 4 bolt manifold, what adaptors / gaskets needed?
Is it a must to re-jet if it has not been done?

Thanks

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”