Carburetor support S&S Super E

S&S carburetor isues
kell

Carburetor support S&S Super E

Post by kell »

I have STD pan heads with the shovel style intake. I'm trying to figure out a better way than a vertical strut going from through-bolt on the engine case up to the lower manifold bolt. This leaves all the weight of the carb hanging outboard of the support.
P.S. I have the Super E.
flash

Re: Carburetor support

Post by flash »

my support strap connects to the bottom of my air cleaner. It supports it all
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Hey Kell,

Like "flash" said, make a support that goes from the top case bolt out to the backing plate on the air cleaner. A couple of 45* bends in some flat chrome stock (easy stuff to find in the muffler bracket section of many catalogs) is all it took on my bike. You'll get a much more solid anchor point with better leverage for supporting the carb and air cleaner.

-Craig
kell

Post by kell »

Fab time.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Carburetor support S&S Super E

Post by 58flh »

I know this is from 2005/But I never liked just a bent strap to the centerbolt & manifoldbolt.I made my own in 1-piece/It connects to the Aircleaner with a 3/8s bolt & loc-nut/Then it bends in 2 areas & bolts where a OEM oilfilter would go.Its all 3/16s Stainless so bending was a do it & Do it again type of deal.But its set so a Flat washer to Oil filter first Then a lock washer with 7/16-loc-nut///IT holds the set-up real SOLID!/You can bounce the bike & the o-rings wont move!.---Well maybe a little! :lol: ./But I been bouncing this S&S under my ass for the 2nd. year now/& I bubbletest OFTEN!--Once a month is getting lazy to me!.BUT I will admit if you have the VITONS & everything is PERFECT like no pie-slices or over/unders-Then I find that they Hold far longer then the Bunas Im going thru!--I have about 8-pairs left & I figure I have 3yrs. Tops with Bunas!.I pull the E & bolt-up the plate & give her 12PSI/& spray away & brush around//Sometimes I find a bubbler for a fishtank /others a 1/4-turn & she holds for another 3-months.It just AMAZES me HOW MANY RETURN customers I get on these old genny bikes /Because the younguns didnt learn the procedures yet!.I had thank-you letters from WIVES of these guys that /there in such a good mood cause Paula or whatever starts in 1 or 2-kicks!.Then says I dont have to push her downhill to get her running every night! :lol: /Hey she knew the rules when she signed on correct?----Respectfully---RICHIE 8)
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I order these. They are a # 326 o-ring 75 durometer Viton.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3527/=xj9h8l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Panpal,

Are you talking about these?

Colored O-Rings

Because one black O-ring looks just like another, these O-rings are green or brown for quick material identification. All O-rings meet ASTM D2000. Inch O-rings are sized to the SAE standard AS568 and meet SAE J200.

Brown Chemical-Resistant Viton® Fluoroelastomer—These O-rings offer excellent resistance to boric acid, citric acid, isopropyl alcohol, fuels, and transmission fluids. Temperature range is -10° to 400° F. Durometer is A75 (medium).
Brown Chemical-Resistant Viton® Fluoroelastomer

Fractional
Size

Actual
Inch Size

Dash
No. ID OD ID OD Pkg.
Qty. Pkg.
Width: 3/16 Fractional (0.210" Actual)

326 1 5/8 2 1.600" 2.020" 5 5267T363 $8.66

Product Detail
Chemical-Resistant Brown Viton® O-Ring, Dash Number 326
Packs of 5
In stock
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I order the black o rings. They are the same chemical resistant Viton, just not color coded. It says Viton on the package and they sit on a shelf with consumables I use when working on Pans, so I'm not to worried about the color code.
I just ordered 9464K48 pack of 10 for $11.37 which I have been using.
I additionally ordered Part # 1201T936 pack of 10 for $14.82. This part number came up when I used their search and picked O rings for use with Ethenol.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Thanks for the update!

Return to “S&S”