Any good WL/WLA/G Projects going on

All flathead topics
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Any good WL/WLA/G Projects going on

Post by 58flh »

Nightshift!-----Thanks for letting me/us know about JACK!---His presence & wisdom will surely be missed!.Anyway the Forum lost a GOOD MAN in my opinion!---I never met the man PERSONALLY!--But TOOK his VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE SKILL & LISTENED & LEARNED!---My condolences to the Family///We lost a great Man!----RESPECTFULLY----RICHIE
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Funny how you almost feel like you get to know these people. Although I just figured he moved away from the forum and didn't know he died, I recall Jack was one of the more knowledgeable guys back in the beginning and I listened to what he had to say. Sad, I hope his Son is doing ok.
Sapper07
Bikes: 2007 Fatboy and working to ge a 1942 WLA

Post by Sapper07 »

Hello,

I am new to the forum and plan to be here for a long time. I am working on bring back a 1942 WLA from a polish museum. It's going to cost me around 17k shipped to USA.
Harley-Davidson WLA.jpg
Harley-Davidson WLA.jpg (65.66 KiB) Viewed 3492 times
Scroll down until you see WLA.

What are your thoughts? Good deal?
Comoxservi52
Bikes: 52 servicar

Post by Comoxservi52 »

Just got my 52 Servicar running after help from this site. Had a 55 when I was younger and have been looking for one for a long time. Bought this one as a non runner so I was pretty happy to hear it fire up.
Walaroo
Bikes: Servicar

Post by Walaroo »

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here ,i just bought my last bucket list item 1970 Servi car ,which needs some work, so im sorry if i ask some annoying ''New'' Q?s you have heard or answered a million times before ,the bike has no alternator or generator ,my question is what is the best solution, a 12 volt New Generator or those small New Generators ?[interest of practicality efficiency] ideally something new not old i dont feel like trying to chase up an original alternator Lump for it ,other plans are to change to Left gear shift [will i need another tank ? as there is not the bolt holes] right hand throttle .Is it worth going to a belt drive primary ? thats all i can think of at the moment ,thankyou for any advice
Cheers
firoutfarm
Bikes: 61G 45Wl 70FLH

Post by firoutfarm »

Keep it as close to OEM as you can, makes things easier as you go, I think they had alternators 1970, Ours is a 1961 and still 6v. gen. Let me know if I can help in any way...............Lloyd
harleych
Bikes: 42WLA, yamaha ybr 125

Post by harleych »

http://autobuy.ru/wpage/88845
Somewhere in Russia 10:k USD 741 Indian with title.running
http://autobuy.ru/wpage/88845
Attachments
88845-1.jpg
88845-1.jpg (381.34 KiB) Viewed 8127 times
harleych

Post by harleych »

spoke.8k usd is OK
ixtee
Bikes: WL 1950,FLSTC 1997, BMW r50 1955 with r80/7 engine

Post by ixtee »

Got this one about a year ago...would like some comments...
It's a fantastic runner, had to fix some serious oil leaks, front fork bushings worn, had to rebuilt the front wheel, loose(!) screws in throttle valve, seat post and bushing in bad shape, primary chain and sprockets worn down and so on....BUT Original, as it is a 1950 WL: fenders, tanks, speedo(!), horn, headlight, wheels, and so on....pity it's got a wlc engine, gonna change that one for WL with correct VIN (gonna be a hard one....) And will get it painted in an Original 50's colour patern....(anyone got decent pics of how these were delivered back then?) Please let me know your thoughts....

Greetings to y'all, Leo.
WL zij kl.jpg
WL zij kl.jpg (114.2 KiB) Viewed 6909 times
harleych

Post by harleych »

JacquesBotha
Bikes: 1941 Harley WL
1998 Harley Sportster 1200, 95th Commeorative Edition

Post by JacquesBotha »

Hi Jack

I am busy restoring a 1941 WL that was used by the South African National Defence Force in their Eastern Africa, Madagascar and North African Campaigns during WW2. I have stripped the bike down to the frame and have then rebuilt the bike with the original parts and NOS Parts (and some good quality replica parts where I could not get NOS parts). I am in the home stretch and hope to have the first video of the restored bike running by the end of August 2016.

Visit my blog site at http://harley1941wl.blogspot.co.za/ for the step-by-step restoration journey, as well as, some of the history of the UDF's Harley-Davidson's during WW2.

Regards
Jacques
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

NightShift wrote:
Panacea wrote:I wonder if Jack Hester is still around? It's been 9 years since his last post in this thread...
Jack died and his son tried to tell us but got bitched off the forum.
Happens to the best of us.
I don't get on here much anymore but when I just read this I got a knot in my stomach. jack seemed like a great guy who was willing to share all his knowledge with us. man, what a shame such a good guy had to pass. a belated prayer will be said on my end for him and his family.
azores1958
Bikes: 63 pan in knuckle frame
46 flathead 45

Post by azores1958 »

I am putting back together a 1946 45 flatty I took apart to rechrome and repaint 35 years ago. never got the energy to do all that work so i am assembling it the same way it was when I got it 39 years ago. it is an old spanish police bike shipped back from spain in the 70:s, I have all the paperwork in spanish. the speedometer is in kilometers per hour. the motor number is 46 US xxxx. i have never seen another US model number and dont know anything about it. It will look like a barn fresh bike which I think has a lot of character the way it was. If I ever get the energy to repaint and rechrome, I think I will do it a peice at a time so I dont lose the momentum. but for now it is going to be a rider. ride safe
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

US is a model designation for a low compression 74 SV with Sidecar gearing. However, the S portion isn't stamped on the case and it was never used on a 45. I suspect you have a re-stamped set of cases made to match some old documentation. Pictures will help to tell what you actually have.
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

I've got a 42 WLC that I've been collecting parts to restore, I almost got all the parts I need. It'll be a few years before I get to it though...to many other projects ahead of it.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”