Any good WL/WLA/G Projects going on

All flathead topics
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Any good WL/WLA/G Projects going on

Post by Jack_Hester »

Does anyone have any new 45 projects in the making for the New Year? Dave Thomas has inspired me to start my 42 WLA restoration. Plans are to have it roadworthy by Christmas. I have some others, but they are way back on the very back burner. Unless I bring one to the front. I have a early 60's Cub Cadet that I had planned to make a swapmeet rider, using a 45 bolted on a custom motormount, to the chassis, in place of the 7hp Kohler. Steve, up at Resurrection Cycle in Virginia, inspired me to make it more than a rider. It will be my 45 test stand for running new engines. I don't need a rider around here, but if I put the engine in sideways, it will come out very easy, to place other engines in, for running. This project is not urgent, but can be realistic. No cutting or welding on the Cadet. All boltup. That way, the Cadet following won't be upset by the mod. Who has some interesting projects planned?

Jack
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Any good WL/WLA/G Projects going on

Post by panhead »

Waiting for my rebuilt (original) engine. Also just found an original '50 front fender in very good condition, ready to be painted. Now looking for original '50 rear fender.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Post by Jack Hester

What type of carburetor does your engine have? Most of the 45's that I build are WLA replacements, that the dealers would put in, instead of an overhaul. All have M-88's, which I've become fond of, mainly because.

Jack
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

It's a '50 WLH with the M88 carburetor with adjustable high-speed needle.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

I've managed to accumulate all that I need to build my WLA engine. And, most of what I need to build my WLA tranny.
Over the past 3 decades, I've managed to aquire a large number Harley specialty tools. Lost a few from loaning (don't practice that anymore), and aquired some of them, again. But, there are many tools that never existed in the Harley tools lists, and so I learned the work-arounds from the old heads, before they died out. Still, I knew that there should be tools instead of work-arounds. There are some automotive tools that can be substituted, such as sleeve bearing pressing tools, that are never exactly to the correct size. So, I have commissioned a machinist buddy to make me mandrels of the correct sizes, as I have the need. No more work-arounds. If there isn't a tool exactly for the job, there will be when he finishes. I have quite a few of the correct sized mandrels, now, that work perfectly for pressing bushings and keeping them square in the hole. His next job is to make an arbor for balancing 45 wheels, and then, a bobweight for the same wheels.
Kinda got off the subject. But, still can be considered a project, too. Takes the right tools to do it right.

Jack
56 Trike

Post by 56 Trike »

I am doing it a piece at a time, got a 69 motor, the numbers aren't very good, but have a motor. Got a better frame, messed up the left hand thread on the rear axle outer bushing, so looking for new or reconditioned. Tanks have been the hardest to find (live in the desert, not to many old parts around). Cam chest had one frozen counter sunk screw, easy outed. If all the parts get here could maybe put the little woman on her by July.
That fellow you gave me a lead to, never returned my E's or phone calls. O Well. This servi wont win shows, but will get around town and turn heads. Plus will be fun to ride.
RJ ;D
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

56 Trike - ??
What's the status of your 69? Did all the parts show up?

Jack
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Assembled my WLA flywheels this afternoon and trued them. Maybe tomorrow, I'll install the new case bearing races, and begin the process of lapping them to size. Some pictures of the flywheel progress: http://community.webshots.com/album/108151930HQkPCZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The gear (cam) cover goes on, today. Scavenger pump is installed and timed. Cams are timed and in place for the last time. Maybe I can get the cylinders finished and installed next weekend. They are already fitted with new pistons, valve guides, and seats cut. Just need the final cleaning. Will have to order new valve covers, this week. The new ones that I bought, early on, have too many defects as to fit and finish. I bought them off of eBay. Will order NOS, this time. Pay a little more. I'll rebuild the tappets and paint the guides, this week. Just too many other jobs in the works to finish this one any sooner. It's coming, though.

Billy, I'm a long ways from being where you are. My frame isn't even prepped, yet. And, then there's the tranny to rebuild. My goal of Christmas on the road is still in the works. http://community.webshots.com/album/108151930HQkPCZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jack
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack, your motor pics look Great!!! Very beautiful job!!
Gonna be a Brand NEW bike when you get her done.
If you're getting NOS valve covers, the 69 + newer are a nice upgrade, using an O-ring in an undercut, in the lower half. No Fuss, No muss. & You can't tell the difference extrenally...
Just my 2 cents.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Billy -

I was considering the later o-ring types, as no one but me will know the difference. That seems to be the type that all the aftermarket are patterned after. And, I may get some aftermarket from one of the sources that I use. I'm thinking that the ones that I bought off of eBay were known to be defective, and that's why I got them so cheap. Had them for quite awhile. The pumps look funny in white. I don't think I ever had my hands on a engine with original white pumps. Always silver, black, or O.D.. It was a milestone to get the breather timed and the gear cover on. The inlet fitting on the feed pump is not in good shape. I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work, I have a fix-it replacement nipple to replace that one. We'll see.
Thanks for the comments. I'm afraid that it will be like this for some time, until the frame is finished. At least, then, I can move it to another spot.

Jack
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack, I think we both know, that good things take time & $.. A good excersize in Patience. I suppose.. ;D
I remember in Palmer's a certain year/s 45 had white tappet blocks also.. Looked very different..

I did my tranny first. Only because this way,there would be no way for me nearing the end to talk myself into, calling it good till later.....
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Billy -

My tappet blocks will be white, also. Had to go look at my spreadsheet, where I listed the component finishes, to confirm it. The pumps and tappet blocks are the only white components on the engine. I've got a mix of hardware, with Parkerized case bolts, pump studs, nuts, and 1 bolt. And, cad-plated gear cover and tappet block screws. When I get to the top end, I'll be able to quote those finishes.

Jack
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack,
Sounds very good.. Gonna be beautiful....

I'm still, when I get the time, working on my '73 Police Servi. There are lots of things I need to do. It was supposed to be already done, by my expectations. But that's OK. It'll get done when it does.
I can't wait to fire her up for the first time. Been a while..
I've been looking at her 'before pics' & where she was at a week or so ago. I feel good about things so far. Anyway I'm back..& here's "Whitey, Parts Chaser 2"

Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Billy -

I just noticed that you are going back with your alternator. I hadn't considered using this setup, again, until seeing your picture. I believe that I like it. Glad I saved my drive. I never had the cover for it, though. I have no idea that my will ever be a clean and sharp as yours. But, I've got other projects to keep me from hurrying. Maybe I can follow suit.

Jack
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack, I think this alt. set-up makes people scratch their heads. ;D Unless they know it. I like that...
Yes the alternator. I thought about a mini-alternator 1/2 size of a gen.& only 3 lbs. But also about $400+Bucks.
This original set-up is the way it came. I'm sticking with that.
As far as the covers, I think people that ride these, just took them off as they trapped the heat anyway. Mine are stored away. This alt. is a 1 wire. a 10 guage wire straight to the +pos. batt. Can't get any simpler than that.. That an the auto-battery is a plus IMO. Maybe not everyone likes this set-up. I do, & that's the main thing,
on my ride. ;D It's how HD sent it out the door..

Like my seat post springs, this too adds character....;D
A very wise Friend once told me that.........

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”