Speed E Shift

jarhead
Bikes: -

Speed E Shift

Post by jarhead »

Anybody here ever seen one of these up close and personal? Speed shifting at it's best? Definitely different...
0181.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Speed E Shift

Post by steve_wood »

Wow. Looks like a lot of moving parts. Could be lots that could go wrong.

Is it a single action that engages the clutch and then changes gears?
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

It was an after-market conversion for a tank shift bike. I've only seen a few magazine photos and about them years ago, I seem to remmember the caption comments implied they were more trouble than they were worth. I think factory foot shifts came out a couple years later and they were forgotten.
62pan
Inactive member
Bikes: 62 pan

Post by 62pan »

I have one. It is missing the clutch pedal, but is otherwise functional. Very cool old chopper part. One of these days I am going to put it on my bike.
Arthur
Inactive member

Post by Arthur »

I saw a foot-shift conversion on a '39 EL in El Paso once but it was less sophisticated than the one pictured above. It looked just like the one on the Knucklehead in the infamous 1947 Life Magazine Hollister “motorcycle riot" fake photos. You would need a very strong clutch hand and very dexterous left foot to operate it without any mousetrap or ratchet.
jarhead
Bikes: -

Post by jarhead »

steve_wood wrote:Wow. Looks like a lot of moving parts. Could be lots that could go wrong.

Is it a single action that engages the clutch and then changes gears?
Yes I believe so Steve
62pan
Inactive member
Bikes: 62 pan

Post by 62pan »

The way it works is this: To downshift you pull in on a lever on the handlebars (usually a modified British compression release). That raises the shifter rod on the transmission and engages the downshift portion of the mechanisim. Push down on the clutch pedal which disengages the clutch and shifts the trans into first. Once it's in gear you release the lever as all it does is move the shift rod into engagement with the downshift cogs on the Speedy Shift. After you release the clutch and start moving every time you push on the pedal it up shifts at the same time. To downshift just pull on the handlebar lever and every time you push on the clutch it shifts down.

I know it seems complicated (and it is) but back in the early 50's they were the hot ticket to go fast. I have ridden one before, and once you get used to it you can shift incredibly fast. As a side note, you had to have your transmission set up perfectly as it was very easy to gut using one of these.
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Post by captainharley »

Saw one for sale on eBay once, they were asking over -$600- I believe. :roll: I'll stick to my mouse trap and heal/toe shifter. :D

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
dragstews
Bikes: 52 Pan/Shovel
92 Tubored RS Buell

Post by dragstews »

3042457020_f28060582f_b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”