best points and condenser for panhead

All ignition related articles
pan50head
Bikes: 1950 FL

Re: best points and condenser for panhead

Post by pan50head »

To all with humble apologies. The Napa points CS763P don't fit on the timer plate. Back to Napa for more research.
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Hey beets:- Do you happen to have the part number for those EOM points set? I checked my 08 Accessory catalog but its like looking for a needle in a hay stack...Thanks...Joe

[quote]I use Harley points,condensers and plugs bought at my local dealer. It is a tune up kit that is listed in the current accessory cataloge for $20.00.[/quote]
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

I dont know much about the advantage of those points, they were termed by GM as "ventilated " points. I have installed a lot of em over the years in the auto industry. Those ventilated contacts did not extend the change interval. They still looked pretty crusty after long miles on em...Joe

[quote="VT"][quote]Regardless, I bought a set of Echlin points that fit, CS763P, with matching condenser RR174.

I don't know about you guys, but I lay awake at night thinking about important things like as follows: The "P" designation at the end of the points part number means that one of the points surfaces is "pierced." It has a 1/16" hole in the middle of the contact surface. I suppose that this is to prevent buildup on the surface. Has anyone tried this type of points? Thanks.[/quote]
These issues are [b]all[/b] that's worth pondering. I'd like to get to the bottom of all this - with a points and condenser all of we OEM style timer people can use.[/quote]
55PAN
Bikes: 1982 FLHC

Post by 55PAN »

Hey partshunt and anyone else interested...

The Harley tune-up kit is listed near the back of the book in the maintenance section. The kit includes plugs (3-4), points and condenser, part # 32352-77 for '48-'69 FL models, $18.95.
They also have other kits for other models and years.
I have been using these kits on my '55 FL for years with no problems.

Bruce
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

The kit includes plugs (3-4), points and condenser, part # 32352-77 for '48-'69 FL models, $18.95.
Sounds like the right combo to me. When all else fails.......go directly to the manufacturer :!:
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Post by beets »

[quote="partshunt"]Hey beets:- Do you happen to have the part number for those EOM points set? I checked my 08 Accessory catalog but its like looking for a needle in a hay stack...Thanks...Joe

The # is 32352-77. The last kit I got was $18.95 in Jan. of this year.

Ron
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

HEY GUYS-----I have been running BLUESTREAK OR ECHLINS!----1970-6CYL.,chevy POINTS & CONDENSOR. ENGINE SIZE 270,-----THE BLUES & ECHLINS are way better in my exp. Bolt-up for connections & the arm & contact surfaces are way better then what the HD store offers! ALSO they have the felt for luberication of the cam,& the oz. of pull is 24 verses 19 on all the others!--NOT that 19 isnt enuff ,but your guaranteed no points bounce with the BLUES or ECHLINS, at 75-85 MPH headin down the parkway!-Also these are 12V sets. HAVE run these only!-HAVE tried ACCEL,DRAG SP., MOCOs, & this is the way to go for me! NEVER been let down using them. MY spare cond. that I carry needs to be cleaned from minor rust& toolbag dirt :lol: .--just my 2-----RICHIE
tomcat
Bikes: 1947EL
1948FL Project
1947WL Project

Post by tomcat »

CONVERSION

Carl's Cycle Supply Does this conversion on 90 percent of the bikes that they build. There is nothing worse than being stranded in the middle of nowhere and not being able to find points. Check it out and take notes!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ingram
Bikes: 1998 Fat Boy
2000 Road King
2007 Hayabusa

Post by ingram »

tomcat wrote:CONVERSION

Carl's Cycle Supply Does this conversion on 90 percent of the bikes that they build. There is nothing worse than being stranded in the middle of nowhere and not being able to find points. Check it out and take notes!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I watched the video. I quess this question would be better directed to Carl and Matt but maybe someone can educate me. Obviously the reason for doing this is to improve or upgrade the system. By doing this the originality of the part has been taken away so why wouldn't you just change to an electronic switch and eliminate the points?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

GOOD ? Imgram!---First off anybody that using thier bike all the time is carrying a spare set of points & cond.!--As far as the Electronic drop ins, They are GREAT!--The Q-2000 I have running on 4 bikes now for almost 4yrs. & no problems!--As long as you VENT the cap with 2 well placed holes on CYL.-side!--The early Hall-sensors went bad in 2-ways!-Running to long with a 4-5ohm coil & the build-up of heat!. (3ohm coil)is to be used with any Elec.-IG. system!. Now carrying a spare sensor is good--(but hell you can just drop your old points in & be gone in 15min.!).The sensors are not cheap if purchased in a bike-supply house!--Get them from a Auto-store!, they are HALF-PRICE!.---Now I have heard that the sensors that come with the Q-2000 are set in a better heat dissipating Epoxy!--I cant attest to this as I have not seen one!. But the 4 bikes that I have running the Q-2000 have never been timed since I installed the Ig.--almost 4yrs. now!.--& the holes were not drilled into OEM caps!--(that would just be stupid!).--So All this time with the original hall-sensors,& the VENTING I think was the KEY to not crappin-out somewhere!--The Boyz still carry the points in the bag -Just Incase!, Ya never know!. And all 4 bikes are 1-kick hot!--The coil I used on them was (3ohm DYNA)--Pricy but probably 1 of the best coils you can buy!---Hope this helps in making decisions!---RICHIE 8)
Panhead Pete
Bikes: 1965 FLH

Post by Panhead Pete »

partshunt wrote:Does any one know if Delco Remy is still in buisness? I believe they were the original supplier for Harley Panhead contact points of the fiftys/sixtys. Same point set as Chev and GMC used at that time. Any confirmation?...Joe
1945 Chevy Truck 3100 1/2 Ton 3.5 L, 1 bl, 6 cyl points and condenser fits single point 6 Volt Panheads.

Points from Auto-Zone Duralast # DR1066MV are made in the USA and will work for 6 and 12 Volt systems.

Condenser from Auto-Zone Duralast # U505 is made in Taiwan and will work with 6 volt systems ONLY.
m_stevens1
Bikes: 1940 knuckle
1940 service car
1957 flh
1947 knucklehead
1969 flh

Post by m_stevens1 »

Fits Panhead era manual distributor's
Napa
Condenser: RR174

The remainder out there are junk IMO
m_stevens1
Bikes: 1940 knuckle
1940 service car
1957 flh
1947 knucklehead
1969 flh

Post by m_stevens1 »

The cs788 are a perfect fit for the cone nose shovels.
The cs2350 points are a perfect fit for my stock 1950 pan.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

58flh wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 pm GOOD ? Imgram!---First off anybody that using thier bike all the time is carrying a spare set of points & cond.!--As far as the Electronic drop ins, They are GREAT!--The Q-2000 I have running on 4 bikes now for almost 4yrs. & no problems!--As long as you VENT the cap with 2 well placed holes on CYL.-side!--The early Hall-sensors went bad in 2-ways!-Running to long with a 4-5ohm coil & the build-up of heat!. (3ohm coil)is to be used with any Elec.-IG. system!. Now carrying a spare sensor is good--(but hell you can just drop your old points in & be gone in 15min.!).The sensors are not cheap if purchased in a bike-supply house!--Get them from a Auto-store!, they are HALF-PRICE!.---Now I have heard that the sensors that come with the Q-2000 are set in a better heat dissipating Epoxy!--I cant attest to this as I have not seen one!. But the 4 bikes that I have running the Q-2000 have never been timed since I installed the Ig.--almost 4yrs. now!.--& the holes were not drilled into OEM caps!--(that would just be stupid!).--So All this time with the original hall-sensors,& the VENTING I think was the KEY to not crappin-out somewhere!--The Boyz still carry the points in the bag -Just Incase!, Ya never know!. And all 4 bikes are 1-kick hot!--The coil I used on them was (3ohm DYNA)--Pricy but probably 1 of the best coils you can buy!---Hope this helps in making decisions!---RICHIE 8)
All,

I've been running Quikstart 2000 for about 10 years now with no modifications to the cap with a Dyna 3 ohm coil. I ride in weather 100 degree plus.

Return to “Ignition”