What are you doing today?

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: what are you doing today?

Post by RooDog »

So did you ever apply heat to the ratchet piece? I would expect heat to expand the piece and loosen its grip on the shaft, no?
....RooDog....
Raytag
Bikes: 1951 FL

Post by Raytag »

Heat ?
Thats what I expected as well
First HeatGun then torch while using the press simultaneously. Did not budge at all :shock:
Killing 3 pullers all in all. 1x china unit, 1x Saddlebagrail-Puller, my fabbed hillbilly struts.

After turning it down on the lathe the remainder of the ratchet gear snapped (hard to see on the pic).
After looking at the keyway of the shaft I knew why.
The key dropped into the chip pan and is lost forever cause that bucket contains some few dozens pounds of chips ...

ray
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

I wish I had a buddy with a lathe.
Most of the work I need done is simple, and most shops don't want to do my jobs, or can't follow instructions.....
....RooDog....
Raytag

Post by Raytag »

I hear ya Roo.

However since more and more get to know that I`ve got a lathe the doorbell doesn`t stop ringing

It`s usually like this:
Someone needs something to be fabbed. So he finds a piece of iron behind the shed which his grandpa left there.
Out of this junk I`m supposed to turn a miracle. Cause the guy doesn`t know any measurements "... it just should fit snug ... nothing big man ..."
But it should fit snug? Of course.Where did you find that material? On the Titanic? Why? What`s wrong with it?

I `m loving such inquiries :evil:

Often folks want to have something repaired like a worn shaft outta be turned down and then fitted with some new bushings.
Of course they have no idea how I can chuck this worn shaft (which I cannot) and then I have to build some tools in order to make other tools that I can do that final job.
To make it short: It takes always faaar more time than the "customer" anticipates.
And to be honest:
I`m not wasting anymore 6, 8, 12hours for 2 glasses of beer in my favorite watering hole. I`m not that cheap anymore.

Then I`m facing this new age type of guys :lol: always clutching their smartphone and they truly believe that working with your hands is like swiping some fucking app from the left to the right like everything else nowadays! Life is that easy! Everything is that simple :roll:

Then anything needs to be stainless steel of course. SS to work with is a bitch. And there are dozens of different types of SS. None of them is cheap cause when you buy SS you must purchase certain minimum quantities.

One inquiry I faced came from a true nerd.
He wanted me to build him a fixture which clutches a heavy book so he can read that book while lying in bed without holding up that book with his arms. It needed to swaying away easily so he can get up to take a leak for example . SS of course cause it looks so nice. And because itś sort of a furniture it must look neat. He showed me such a thing on Ebay which was sold there for ~300 bucks. But thatś way too expensive. Aha.

To be honest I prefer that guy who really needs something not because he likes it ,but he really needs this thing Like the one who once came around with his small tractor where a cast iron cover broke on the transmission of the auxiliary drive.
He could get a new one but Massey Ferguson Germany needed some 4 months and 900 dollares because they needed to cast it new in the foundry
The money wasn`t the problem but he needed it a bit faster than 4 months
I took measurement, milled, bored, took measurements again and again, honed that cover in endless hours and in the end everyone was happy cause I could see what`s that thing doing , driving a shaft to turn over the hay on the pasture eg.
Repairing ole shit is what I really prefer but materials of my choice, tools and power must be paid for. If we can trade stuff/work or a favor = great! Otherwise some appropriate tap on top that I don`t wanna wring outta that fella.
Making everything new from scratch takes a whole lotta time most people have zero clue about. Just asking for some common sense damnit.
But it seems that I`m pissing against the wind nowadays.

Ray
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Man, all I wanted was some axle spacers cut and faced to length. LOL...
I took some months of basic machine shop schooling after high school, I think lathes are cool. I also have many months of engineering drawing schooling too.... Been doing Harleys since the mid 1960s, got a drill press, and a MIG welder, I get by, but I don't have a guy with a lathe..... Oh, poor me....
....RooDog....
Raytag

Post by Raytag »

Prepping the straightened frame and oiltank for sandblasting and paintjob.
Making my mind about cracking open the shutoff valve.
Boy this is tight. Oiled it for a fortnight already but nothing ...
Attachments
shutoff-valve.jpg
shutoff-valve.jpg (45 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
oiltank-prep.jpg
oiltank-prep.jpg (72.72 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
Prepping frame.jpg
Prepping frame.jpg (97.79 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Ray...
Have you tried heat?
I do have an oxy-acetylene outfit, but I have often used a small hand held butane torch effectively because it is easy to control the heat so as to not damage paint or chrome, but still loosen stubborn fittings.

https://i1.wp.com/www.erushmo.com/wp-co ... C694&ssl=1

.....RooDog....
Raytag

Post by Raytag »

No, haven`t tried heat yet. The thread is inside of the tank ... but I guess there`s no choice other than that.
That torch looks like a cigar lighter. Neat idea!

Ray
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

RooDog wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:18 pm I wish I had a buddy with a lathe.
Most of the work I need done is simple, and most shops don't want to do my jobs, or can't follow instructions.....
....RooDog....
Roo, I have a friend down the road with machine shop equipment that lets me use it when needed, But, I’ve got a small Harbor Freight lathe I bought used for about $100 bucks that I use all the time for non critical stuff. It’s not that powerful, not real accurate, and kinda small (3” chuck). But if you just need a hole drilled, a shaft polished, or an axle spacer shortened, I would not hesitate to buy it again. “Www.little machine shop.com” has tons of tooling and accessories for these cheap import lathes.

Andygears
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Andy....
Thanks for the tip.
My jobs are so small, that some times I chuck the work piece in my drill press and work 'em from there. LOL.
I just hate to buy any equipment as I am nearing the end of this ride.....
....RooDog....
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Ray....
That little butane torch is really handy. My beer drinking, & bike building buddy, Spider, showed me how he solders wiring terminals with it. Really quick and easy....
....RD....
Raytag

Post by Raytag »

Fitting new bushing into the starter gear . Actually the gear isn`t too bad, the shaft is ... well I`ll give it a shot
Attachments
startergear_bushing.jpg
startergear_bushing.jpg (51.41 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
startergear_boring.jpg
startergear_boring.jpg (63.08 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
ballhoning.jpg
ballhoning.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
Raytag

Post by Raytag »

Starter Crank Gear seems to be OEM. Almost perfect condition. The cam plate is munched up. I can get the OEM part 33358-36 with an offset hole for the stop. The pic of the dealer shows the MoCo bag number incl the number 4-84. Guess they started using at one time the round stop pin. Must drill that hole new. Just hoping that they just didn`t repack a chink cam plate into an OEM bag :?:
You can buy MoCo OEM boxes and bags on egay already. Bastards.

Why the hassle?
Like I said the gear is perfect.
The latter OEM cam plate I can get and I believe it is of better quality than that chink stuff
I can get the 3 rivets 8241 and that pin 33355-36.

If I want a quality gear incl quality cam plate I needa spending 120 dollares or get that Baker stuff where maybe the square and stop pin aren`t lined up. There was a post here just recently :evil:

ray
Attachments
StarterCrankGear-2.jpg
StarterCrankGear-2.jpg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
StarterCrankGear-1.jpg
StarterCrankGear-1.jpg (103.47 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
starterCrankGear.jpg
starterCrankGear.jpg (84.01 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

I remember the machined square stop pin being replaced by the round ones in the mid 1970s. Surely an AMF cost reduction. I have a very nice kicker gear with the machined stopper in my stash, but it's not for sale. LOL.... And I would bet a lot of the guys here on this site are holding too....
....RooDog....
Raytag

Post by Raytag »

RooDog wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:24 pm I remember the machined square stop pin being replaced by the round ones in the mid 1970s. ...
....RooDog....
Thanks Roo !! I suspected it but wasn`t sure
This is the one. The big hole at 3 o`clock doesn`t line up with my gear.
Those rivets were peened madly. They must have used them cherry hot in a press :shock:
My 5lbs hammer slammed the punch a dozen times ... each rivet
ray
Attachments
cam plate.PNG
cam plate.PNG (395.6 KiB) Viewed 2826 times

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”