Mounting the throttle control coil bracket

Chassis, frame, instruments, fenders etc.
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics

Mounting the throttle control coil bracket

Post by Guest »

I had the tanks off the '52 yesterday(getting the engine to move enough to remove the S&S oil pump drive shaft), and when I was putting things back together, I realized I wasn't sure how to mount the throttle control coil bracket.

I know it mounts using the top motor mount mount bolt, but where in the assembly does it go?

Right now, I have it(in order fom left to right):

nut

lock washer

flat washer

control coil bracket

motor mount

spacer washer

frame tab

flat washer

bolt head

Is this correct?

Re: Mounting the throttle control coil bracket

Post by Guest »

Please, somebody must know this.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Guest!

Have you consulted your Parts Book?

Mine is at the shop, but I suspect the bracket has a tang to keep it from rotating that only allows one assembly position.

....Cotten
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

A camera and the Spare Parts Catalog are now regular tools. It helps to use the exact terms used in the Spare PArts catalog to explain your problem.
using the top motor mount mount bolt
Using phrases like this are not specific enough. We know of no top motor mount bolt when describing the throttle control. A scan of the catalog page that relates to your model would help. A photo of the problem is worth a thousand words. Help us help you.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Hey wait a minute :!: The bottom of the top frame rail above the motor has no (gas throttle) control clamp tab for a #3720, 1/4-28 x 7/16 hex. hd. screw. Can't the illustrators for Harley-Davidson get anything right :?:
The frame tab holds the 56609-52 carburetor cable clamp. Shown on page 76 of the 1958 - 1968 Parts Catalog.
Note: Don't fight a losing battle with Harley-Davidson. Buy both the 1949-1957 Spare Parts Catalog and the 1958-1968 Parts Catalog and beat the illustrator's evil attempts to "kick you into a tree". Some of the rigid frame goodies that made it through the swing-arm model changes show up in the '58-68 book only.
You might get the literature you need, at a reasonable price, from Kick-Start M/C Parts (616) 245-8991 (10-5 EST).
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Sorry, guys, it was me posting-sometimes it doesn;t log me in correctly, so it comes out as "guest"

I looked in the "-57" parts book, and in both the rigid and swing-arm Harley the service manuala, as well as Bruce Palmer's "Restoring.." book, and all of the Clymer manuals I could find, and I didn't find any illustrations or description of the order in which the frame tab, throtttle control coil bracket, and top motor mount get bolted together.

Maybe I am using the wrong terminology, but i think there has to be a bolt that goes through the frame tab and the top motor mount to hold them together.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

You need to be looking at the '58-68 Spare Parts book, on page 74, bottom right, item #64, 6, and 3.
# 11 and 12 are throttle and spark control parts too. Might be in the '49 book too, but I'm not looking, and if you have both '49 orange and '58 red/white books, you have more options for reference.
Maybe I am using the wrong terminology
Thanks for bringing your problem that we can solve, and (in advance), for taking the hits about classroom tools.
We wouldn't attend MMI without text books and focus. This is a fun place to be, if we're not fighting the students unpreparedness. You've invested time and money in your creed. You can't be talking to us about a parts problem that we can't find in our textbooks, because you don;t have a book to find the part number? You waste our time. Stay logged in. It's your responsibility.
If you don't get all of the books (spare parts, clymers, HD, etc.) to help us, help you, and everybody else, I'm not going to respond to questions (for what that's worth!)
Get the books, scan an illustration from any of the 1949-1968 Spare Parts Catalogs and post it here on http://hydra-glide.com/
We'll take responsibility for removing them if Harley-Davidson® complains.
Yes, try and use the same terminology that Harley-Davidson uses, so that when you read someone describe a part by name, you know he's been reading the books. Time is precious. We can deal with problems and fewer postings to get it all explained if everyone had all the textbooks (at least) and a camera.

p.s. I don't have any surveys to refer to, but this site is troll-free, the moderators remove spam on contact.......and people post prices for stuff free-ly (don't forget to donate).....and the riders here don't try and out-do each other. And it's all because the owner of this site keeps a rigid Pan. The people that post here, all own or build Pans. Pans motors are unique. Their engineering is unique. The motors and transmissions can be re-built. The 4-spd transmission is extremely durable.
We're not talking or thinking about 45 cu. in. problems, or Big Flat problelms and Flathead, in-line, forced thinking.
If the Pan motors have any problems at all, the owners only have Panhead OHV in-line forced thinking to deal with- and the fixes involve fewer parts - and the solutions to long running Pan motors under "Police Duty" use are more direct and effective.
If any of the Dennis Corso Co. and Tedd Cycle employees actually built and rode a rigid Pan to work, they would understand. But, they don't own, build, or ride them, and imo, therein lies the problem:
They manufacture and sell parts that they have never fully assembled from a frame they built - and doll-face they just don't understand. 8)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Drat! That's one book i don't have yet-but it's nice to have an excuse to get one!

In the meantime, you wouldn;t have that page available as a scan, would you?

Thanks!
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

If everyone had the '58-68 parts book, they could look on page 76 and find the H-D part number and when it went into and out of use. Simple as that.
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Actually, the part i am talking about is not in that drawing-it is the bracket that holds the end of the control coil at the carburetor-it looks like part #56605-49 in the "Handlebars" section of the 1941-1954 Spare Parts Manual in teh Knowledge base.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

124b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Thanks for posting the picture

So can anyone tell me where the bracket mounts?
On which side of the frame tab/motor mount?
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Mine is mounted on the carb side of the motor mount frame tab.
Last edited by 51Hog on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

- # F.10, Vol. 2. This is a '58-64 swing arm frame, but the same tab is on a '55-57 frame.
The frame clamp. The screw, the clamp, and the threaded frame tab. The carburetor end of the wire is all Linkert related - an Allen screw threaded block with a machined pin on the bottom which has a cotter key hole and end washer and cotter key.
Both throttle spirals (sleeves) should push the control wire a distance of 1-1/4".
Photos and illustrations are great tools for the internet garage.

Return to “Chassis, Frame & Instruments”