bikes in the wind wanted

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
mbskeam
Bikes: *

bikes in the wind wanted

Post by mbskeam »

so that we can clear this up, ( you know who you are)LOL....
lets see your runners....
mbseam
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

two more:
Attachments
runner2.jpg
runner2.jpg (57.63 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
runner1.jpg
runner1.jpg (60.33 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

SpruceCreeks 1956

Post by VintageTwin »

Here's a cherry '56 that was obtained through an estate sale, from the local H-D dealer, which is a rare occurrence.
1955-57 are my favorite years. I just wish they made AM cases with a left case beefed up for the '58 pinion shaft instead of the 79 bottom end STD has now.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

VT, I think what mbskeam was looking for here are pictures of us actually riding the bikes, you know; "in the wind"? Not some trailer queen sitting in a parking lot with a couple old geezers reminiscing about the good old days.

I'm not rolling very fast in this pic, we were just pulling out of the parking lot at the beginning of the annual parade through Hot Springs National Park.

mike
Attachments
Leaving Magic Springs parking lot for the Hot Springs National Park parade
Leaving Magic Springs parking lot for the Hot Springs National Park parade
rolling.jpg (118.66 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Doing around " 55 " with the wife on board.
Attachments
Photo014.jpg
Photo014.jpg (111.43 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
sprucecreek

I am the old geezer

Post by sprucecreek »

Hey, dude...I am the old geezer, and I do ride the bike that was posted (although I did not post the pix). I am currently doing a carb rebuild, with cotten's float and just used mike beam's leak tester on my intake manifold (btw, it is solid...).

So, even us old guys (1) appreciate the old bikes, and (2) know what we are doing.

Plus, we have the advantage of being around longer than our bikes. :D

No offense taken, btw.

Plus, I have suppled VT with a photo that is maybe more appropriate.... :)
Last edited by sprucecreek on Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

hey-doe, we all rode in together.

Campo, Calif. - on the way to the motor transport museum.
http://www.motortransportmuseum.org/
They make bumper stickers that say "I survived the 94". A state route that parallels the Mexican border. Twisty roads, high country, lots of smugglers, lots of accidents. A splendid ride in the country on a good day - timing being a major factor.
1959 Pan with 1988 "Mid-Cycle® "longhorn dresser bars". The throttle end screw wouldn't bottom out on the end of the bar and sometimes you'd end up with the sprial in your hand and the rollers scattered behind you. Hated those handlebars. Early repop tribulations.
photo: Ryder
paint: Krylon® (unsealed) gray primer
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Sorry sprucecreek, I was just trying to keep VT on track with the theme of this thread, it must have worked because his last post was right on target.

I've just about arrived at the geezer stage myself, that black panhead I'm riding is the same vintage I am; 1949.

But I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, anybody that rides these things, anywhere, will always attract the same kind of crowd whenever you park it. If two guys walk up to it, one of them is usually a "know it all" and tries to explain all the strange controls and stuff to his buddy, usually way off base. I have a lot of fun just listening to some of them if I can blend into the crowd within earshot.

My pan is also running one of Cotten's floats and the manifold was tested with one of Mike Beam's pressure testers, Mike even fabricated a special plate for mine so I could use it on the flatheads with 3-bolt Linkerts. I wish everything that's still available for our old bikes worked as good as their stuff.

I hope your 56 runs as good as it looks when you get it back on the road.

ride safe!

mike
sprucecreek

Post by sprucecreek »

Not to worry...I was not offended in the least. This is a great forum, and I read your posts all the time...it is great to know there are a lot of folks out there who enjoy the same things, and have the same set of problems.

I am a new arrival to the old harley scene (driven by financial constraints, not a lack of desire), and this group has been a life saver. While I am mechanically astute (points and carbs are wonderful), I am still leaning how the old bikes work. The great news is that they are pretty intuitive.

BTW, the old float in my linkert had swollen so much that I had to break it in half to get it out of the bowl. Plus, the screw had come loose, and it was flopping around, not to mention all the sludge in the bottom. No wonder it was giving me problems...

I am looking forward to being on the road again! :D
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Mike.....

Your right on about the know-it-all....

Took the WLA to work.........had a fella showing someone else the controls, and how the "starter button" was, in the beginning on the left handlebar's on the older bikes...

Even funnier than last time ....

George
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

George,

Don't you love it? I have more fun telling folks that its not a clutch lever, its the front brake. Then they always ask where the clutch is. Like I said earlier, you always have to allow extra time at stops for the question and answer session.
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

From last years 'Cast Iron Ride'
Attachments
CastIron2.jpg
CastIron2.jpg (109.99 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Lookin' Good Rick!

I guess we all need to get more pictures of the bikes actually running and hauling our butts down the road. They look good all shined up and parked in a row at the show but they look even better in the wind.

mike
1950Bobber

In 'da wind!

Post by 1950Bobber »

Tough for me to get an "in the wind" shot since I usually travel light, and alone. Let's keep this thread alive and I think by the end of the summer, many if not most, of us will be able to get a shot somewhere in our travels! I'll try......

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

If this works, the first picture is from my trip to Sturgis last year...
Anotherdayontheroad-1.jpg
Anotherdayontheroad-1.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 469 times
This one is from a few weeks ago at the Rendezvous in upstate NY...
KudaandGinnyridingthepan.jpg
KudaandGinnyridingthepan.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 469 times
-Kuda (yep, I gets around...) 8)
'49 panchop

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”