Belt Primary

51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

I do not think we have enough torque on our stock 74 inch engines to handle 25 or 26 teeth on the tranny. I know that I can't go any taller on my gears. After I ride through the mountains, or into a 20 mph headwind, I may need to drop down to a 23 tooth. We will see.
It will be a good test to see what really does happen with the 25-26 tooth tho...
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

I'm going to talk to stett about the 26T. I may change it to 25T before I run it. It will destroy the O-ring of the Super Nut. He has more of them.
I liked a 25T on my previous chain primary (24T motor x stock clutch hub x 25T set up). It was loping okay at 62 mph. At 65 mph it felt like it wanted a 5th gear. I never drive over 63 mph if I can help it. Just my style of riding -
I'm more interested in digging through curved banked roads, shifting back and forth between 3rd and 4th gear, than ever riding it on a freeway for more than a couple or three off ramps.
I think my 26T is coming off for a 25T at this point.
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

1950bobber wrote:
VT wrote:
What's YOUR cut ?
No cut. 8) If you register with this site, then you won't feel like an outsider.
The idea of buying parts from Kick-Start is that they don't have many employees. Those that are employees of Kick-Start all own Panheads or can tear them apart and put them back together blind-folded, that's a Kick-Start requirement. Plus, anything they tell you can be printed here on this site. We know Kick-Start, but we don't know the other shops. Some shops sell Panhead parts, but that doesn't mean they are "of Panhead". There is a difference.
I AM registered (nice try at a cut however!)....and I certainly don'y feel like an outsider. I ALWAY chime in with my 1"950 Bobber"...you know who I am...peace!
VT wrote: Talking about a belt primary is good, but actually installing one is where the rubber hits the road.
From another thread;
Pantony wrote:
VT wrote:Say hi to all the guys at the Motor Company.
FYI; I don't work at or for the Motor Company. Good guess, but your not in Milwaukee so for someone that doesn't live here it's hard to really know what other companys are involved, but hey nice try!
Ya I aggree 1950 Bobber; he does have a subtle way of trying to take a cut at people.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Let's face it, we're ALL freaks! Mike
58Bobber
Inactive member
Bikes: '58 FLH

Hey Pantony....

Post by 58Bobber »

Panacea wrote:Let's face it, we're ALL freaks! Mike
He's got a somewhat "abrasive" subtlty to him, but we own him! As you own me too, I guess :)

Point: I accept him for who he is, and hoping I'll get the same in return. Life's short, RIDE FAST!!!!!!!!

We all are characters in some way or another...but your point is dead on!

Peace Brothers.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

So I guess that makes you and me "Sub-Human" Jim!
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

when I took the 24 off my Pan in '96 while out in the Rockies, and put on a 23, I never looked back! It feels better all the way around.
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

I have run the 1.5" belt for about 6 years with no problems. I ventilated the tins by purchasing some longer panhead screws and placing 1/4" thick plastic washers under the inspection covers. You don't really notice that the cover is raised off that much. I will chime in that belts and other elastomers have improved in the past couple of decades due to better materials that are more durable with higher heat and oil tolerance.
Doug
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Well gang---I have a little over 500 miles on the belt setup now.
It looks like the gearing with the 11mm belt and the 24 tooth tranny sprocket is great. Even in the mountains.
The only down side to the high gearing is the need to run more in third gear around town. Fourth gear is too high for 35-45mph.
The install of the kit was Very easy. Just keep the pulleys parallel so the belt will track correctly. I highly recommend a Nylatron liner and a Ram Jett retainer, as the clutch was chattering after the belt install.
About 2 hours with interruptions from the time I put it on the lift til the time I test drove with out the primary cover. I also shortened and installed a new drive chain, adjusted the shift linkage and the brake linkage in those two hours.
58Bobber
Inactive member
Bikes: '58 FLH

Yeah, what I expected!!!!

Post by 58Bobber »

51Hog wrote:Well gang---I have a little over 500 miles on the belt setup now.
It looks like the gearing with the 11mm belt and the 24 tooth tranny sprocket is great. Even in the mountains.
The only down side to the high gearing is the need to run more in third gear around town. Fourth gear is too high for 35-45mph.
The install of the kit was Very easy. Just keep the pulleys parallel so the belt will track correctly. I highly recommend a Nylatron liner and a Ram Jett retainer, as the clutch was chattering after the belt install.
About 2 hours with interruptions from the time I put it on the lift til the time I test drove with out the primary cover. I also shortened and installed a new drive chain, adjusted the shift linkage and the brake linkage in those two hours.
And to think of the responses by the unfamiliar NaySayers!!!!!!!!!

Hey RL.....I think I'll start calling YOU, "Chicken Little" from now on :roll:
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I'll never go back to a primary chain. I've got over 30K miles on my current belt drive. It's a SilentDrive from SuperMax Belt Drives. 14mm belt that is made from Gates Poly Chain. The engine pully and clutch basket are made of polyurethane. Absolutely no clutch chatter. I had the drive off last weekend to service the clutch shell roller bearings and there is no sign of wear on the pullies.

The key to long belt life is the following:
- Proper engine/transmission alignment
- Proper belt tension
- Proper ventilation

You mess up on those things and you will be breaking belts.

-Craig
DCP_3211.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

jellero
Former member

Re: Belt Primary

Post by jellero »

interesting thread. i have a phase three i put on in 1977. the belt looks like it's brand new but has had oil on it so i don't really trust it and i'm way too old to get stranded by the side of the road and i don't have anyone to call for rescue, no cell phone either. i have called all around for a new belt with no luck so i think i am going back to a chain at this point. anyone want to buy my setup? where is this $230 belt drive? i wouldn't mind so much breaking a belt if i could get a spare. j
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Morning guys!--As far as beltdrives on our pans,,,Belts have come alongway -(in just the last 12yrs. give or take!)--They are making better product belts!--Kevlar belted ones,some good stuff!.The pros---I have installed beltdrives for a few customers & when I rode the bike The SMOOTH-NON-VIBE was instantly noticible!--(I use a chain w/compensator).So it felt like something wasent rite!--But that's just the service a beltdrive gives.I don't like the fact that GEARING is LIMITED!. The CONS---Limited gearing & to this fay I still see bikes on the side with a black-belt laying under it!--Now I understand it could be installed by a shadetree mechanic & not Alighned properly!----When Alighning a beltdrive I use a method that I haven't seen yet on this or any other site!---Naturally on chainwheels you use a straight-edge to get the shafts parallel!---Being a Glazier by trade I cut a piece of 3/8s glass--(starfire-glass).ITS NOT F/S to the public as its demands are very different from Plate-glass.After I polish & grind 1-edge to CLEAR-SEE-THRU,Olny then it can be used for belt alighment!-By placing it across the motor & tranny-gear you need to have 4-points touching for EXACT PARALELL ADJ.THE plished edge makes it easy as it acts as a magnyfing-glass & you can see the points of contact 10-fold!--Then ADJ. & yer done!---A true running belt can survive even if it gets misted-oil on it!,,,That said I still use a CHAIN & Compensating sprocket!--I like my choice of gearing!---Respectfully-----RICHIE :!:
Mose
Bikes: 1951 Panhead

Post by Mose »

In all the posts about using a belt drive I have seen nothing about alignment of the belt drive basket with the front belt pulley.
I finally found out that I needed a quarter inch offset transmission mounting plate.

Return to “Chains & Belts”