Is this a bad idea ???

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
54panman
Inactive member

Is this a bad idea ???

Post by 54panman »

hey yall... saw a shovel this weekend that was running a throttle twist grip for his clutch.... custom cable i would assume! but is this safe or does it seem like a bad idea??? i have a few extra plastic assem. like this and was thinking about trying it.... other then the custom cable the only down fall i see it the the clucth has a lot of pressure and these cable housings are made of plastic!!! any input
Attachments
grip.jpg
grip.jpg (8.38 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

It is a matter of personal preference. I think there will be a learning curve on both installing and making it work properly, and learning to use it. The latter could be costly.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Wouldn't there be a lot of pressure on that small cable , even with a mouse trap. Now a diaphragm clutch , maybe not .
54panman
Inactive member

Post by 54panman »

that was kinda my thought!!!!!!!! it looked like the same set up i have... 5 finger, 3" open, mouse trap elim... i just thought it my be to much presurre for that little tiny slug on the cable end as well as the plastic assembly on the twist grip!
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Many years ago I considered a similar set-up for actuating a starter solenoid eliminator on one of my '65s.

The first thing that became apparent was that the mechanism had to operate when the grip was twisted forward, not backward. Twisting backward, or toward the rider, is the natural direction that the g-forces of operation encourage. That's why advance and throttle controls operate that way.
If your clutch operated by twisting toward you, it would be very hard to hang on without re-dis-engaging it.

So a stock advance control using 'music' wire would work for a clutch, if you reverse its direction with a later spiral.

....Cotten

Post by Guest »

cotten what do you mean by:::

"stock advance control" & " using 'music' wire would work for a clutch"
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Guest!

By "stock", I mean original design.
"Music wire" also refers to the original design of wire control.
Beware of mild steel wire that easily kinks and bends.

....Cotten
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Cotten wrote:"Music wire" also refers to the original design of wire control.
Beware of mild steel wire that easily kinks and bends.

....Cotten
or stretches and breaks! another name for music wire is piano wire or guitar string, good stuff. You can tow a locomotive with it and it will flex forever before it work hardens and breaks.

mike
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

and I would also have to agree with Cotten that an OEM spiral with a plunger and roller in a steel slot would have a much better chance of operating a clutch than the AMF era plastic sleeve twist grip.

jmho

mike
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

The idea sounds good but the plastic parts are woefully inferior for this idea. Russell Mitchel at Exile cycles has a kit for late model clutches but it'd take major re-engineering to work on a shovel.

http://www.exilecycles.com/index.php?section=37

TWIST CLUTCH KIT
We offer a Left Twistgrip Assembly that is identical to the Internal Throttle Assembly, but with a reversed spiral for use on the left side of the bars. This can be used to pull a cable for many custom applications, but we frequently use it to activate the clutch. Additional parts are necessary to reduce the effort required at the grip, so we developed our complete Twist Clutch Assembly.

This kit comprises the Left Twistgrip Assembly plus a cut-to-length cable, clutch activator arm pulley and a cable anchor.

DETAILED SPECS & PRICES
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

it'd take major re-engineering to work on a shovel.
(or a pan )
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

54 panman, I guess I don't see any advantage in changing over to a twist grip, besides, picture what you would look like useing it as you go thru the gears......
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

I don't see it as a mechanical or style advantage.

After watching the TV biker build shows where particpants and "builders" work so hard to make RUB bikes look cool I'll keep my stock Pan with foot clutch. It's cool without any effort. American Chopper does the "that looks cool, doesn't it?" thing way too much.

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”