Chain or belt

Opinions (chain od belt) are divided

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Chain or belt

Post by VintageTwin »

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, the high-end feeling of wanting another gear at 63 MPH. I'm commited to a belt primary, but I don't think I'm going to like the feeling at 63MPH. If you told me that at 65 MPM, your 74 cu. in. machine started sounding a little wound-up at 65 MPH, I would know that, that's the same feeling I got with my 24T motor, 25T trans. That was OK with me. At 62-63 MPH. I'll just have to wait and see. 1-1/2" X 11mm Primo for me. Under tin.
MCCUTCHEON4
Inactive member

Post by MCCUTCHEON4 »

Hello, I am considering using a primary belt drive on one of my bikes but have no idea which manufacturer is the best for my application ? There are several mfg's that I am aware of, BDL, Primo, Karata & probably more.
I also am aware of the numerous different designs, such as 8MM, 11mm, 14MM and varying widths.
The bike I want to try a belt on is a flat side Shovel lower with later out side oiler Panheads that have been flowed with over size valves, 80" wheels, 3-1/2" bore and mild cam. Its in a stock wishbone frame & glide front end with factory drum brakes front and rear, Its kind of stripped down lashup.
My goal will be: reduce oil leaks, smoother operation, dependablility & adding to the raw looks of this style
bike.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
48Pan
Inactive member

Post by 48Pan »

Hey everybody...
I just picked up a 1955 FL with a Primo belt primary already installed. It is a 1 1/2 inch (8mm) belt, with a 39 tooth motor sprocket, 62 tooth clutch drum sprocket, and has a 24 tooth trans sprocket. I went to the Primo website and this combo is listed under their classic belt drives, part number: PF-39-62. By the way the belt has written on it: Pacific Broach, which I noticed in a previous post sombody mentioned the letters PB on their setup. I've only ridden the bike about 10 miles so far, but it's a lot smoother than my old 48 Pan, which by the way I sold. I always wanted a birth year bike and now I've got it. I guess now you know how old I am...
Bruce
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

How does the ride feel in 4th at 63 mph? Like it wants a 5th gear? I'm going to lower the motor rpm as much as is humanly possible by running a 26T trans. sprocket. The largest sprocket that will fit into a '36-64 Big Twin.
39/62? Aw man....now I gotta go ask Primo why I have a 31/47. Glad you put the part number on it. Pacific Broach? You'd think it meant Primo Belt, but Gates makes their belts. Wonder what year your belt drive was installed?
48Pan
Inactive member

Post by 48Pan »

I've only ridden the 55FL about 30 miles so far and haven't gone over 50 yet. I plan on going over the bike this week checking and repairing anything that needs it and a little cleaning and polishing. Then on Sunday Sept. 26 there is a big antique bike show in Woodstock, IL I plan to ride to and display the bike, so I'll be cranking up the mph's then.
Bruce
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Yeah. Good. Let us know what it feels like running at 60 mph. Like it wants another gear or does it lope along at a comfortable rpm betwixt 60-63 mph?
Whaddever happen to Weezo?
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Really ??? What happened to Weezo? I haven't had much reading pleasure from Haggis lately either!
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

It's been ages since we heard from our French chum, DirtyDistrict, also. I hope he is okay. You out there, D.D.? ???
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

I decided to move over to this existing thread, to continue a response to Plumber's reply (on the Help! Using 2 quarts in 50 miles! thread (https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/view ... f=61&t=637)). Let's assume that all our bikes are 4-speed (or some 3-speed/rev). Unfortunately, there are not enough belt drive ratios to cover the ratios that we can get with engine sprocket changes, alone. Usually, belt drives are a one-time purchase for most people, and tranny sprocket changes are the only means to compensate for an uncomfortable or undesirable combination. Some will have retrofitted the rear brake/sprocket with disc brakes and a sprocket that can now be swapped for different sizes. My preference is still towards a primary chain, just to give me the options of more ratios.

Now, combined with an original FL tranny gearing (granny low gears), I can now run a bit taller tranny sprocket, that will afford me the means to pull off with a loaded bike easily, and still have a lower top end rpm range. Or, if I want to really load up for a road trip, play with the combination of engine and tranny sprockets, until I have the compromise that I want.

I understand that not everyone will want to always be swapping sprockets. It's not as simple as it may sound. But, I don't mind doing it, as it's what I like to do, anyway. This being said, I haven't done it in a while. But, the 59 is coming up for a total rebuild. I will start out with the 24T engine/22T tranny combination, for break-in. But, once that is done, I will begin the process of trying the combinations, because is will take over the role of the road machine that I will have for heavy loads (the 76 FLH will be in storage for a couple of years).

Many of you have followed my posts about my WLA being my primary road machine for awhile. It will. The 59 FLH will be there for the long hauls, too. Just someone else on it. Eventually, so will the Indian Chief. And later, the 76 will take it's place back on the road. My major road trips will be planned around all machines being along. But, that takes this thread away from it's origins.

As long as good quality primary chains are made, and good quality drive chains are made, I will run them. It is a nostalgia thing. But, it also puts me in a crowd that is unique and seperate from the Evo/TC/custom following. I don't fault anyone who participates with this following, as most people will have an old bike and a new. I choose to remain a dinosaur in my preferences. In doing so, I am forced to maintain it. I'm forced to inspect and anticipate it's needs. I am forced to care for it and always have in the back of my mind that it's time to check something. Of course, I am forced to always defend my position. That's easy. My answer has always been: 'Anyone can own a new bike. But, how many are capable of owning a piece of history? How many are capable of always maintaining one?'. Very few want to maintain one for very long. That's why they sit in the garage/shop, or on display. That's another story and tagent, too.

Options of ratios are my objective. I can't think of the number of times in the past, that I've had a bike of mine up on the stand, with the primary drive removed. And, someone drops by and asks me 'what's wrong with your bike?'. That is still the view that people have of Harley riders. My answer of 'nothing's wrong' is not enough. Most can't understand that things have to come apart, to try something different. Whenever I explained what I was doing, and had a response of 'why don't you just ride it and leave it alone', my comeback was always 'that's exactly what you need to do. I never will.'.
Sorry for the many tagents from the original thread. I like the option of having as many ratios as I can think up. But, I will never fault you for never wanting to touch your bike. I'll touch it for you. But, only after mine are touched.

Jack
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

;D I've been spending money on motor sprockets trying to find out what would give be the comfortable ration of sprockets at 63-65 mph on my '59 74" Big Twin. I was getting secure with a 24T motor sprocket, 25T trans, and yer basic 52T wheel sprocket. It was getting good to me at 63 mph. Satisfied. I was going to even go one further and put a 26T on the trans, but got drawn over to a belt primary. I'm running a 26T trans sprocket on the belt set up to try and mellow the ride out and compensate for the rigid fixed ratios of the motor and clutch belt primary pulleys. If you need to experiment on your own, it's your money. So go out and buy a handfull of sprockets and try it yourself.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Plumber -

Fortunately, the money was spent over a long period of time, and I have accumulated the sprockets that I need to experiment with. When the 59 is back on the road, I'll resort to my former method of removing the primary drive on Saturday morning, making the swap, and spend the afternoon getting use to the change. I have some straight stretches, some steep hills, and plenty of winding roads, all within an hour's ride. So, each weekday afternoon, I will try a different road, to see if I like the change. Loaded and unloaded. Then, make another Saturday morning swap, and try it again. I'm looking for to it, as the 76 was setup and the 59 was never changed. Now, the 59 will be the focus. Same with the WLA. I've got a pretty good assortment of engine sprockets, and two transmission sprockets. So, break-in will be unloaded. Experimentation will be to taller and taller gearing, until I find what a good road gearing will be, within the bounds of the tranmission ratios. Lots of fun.

Jack
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Yeah Jack, when I "say go ahead and spend a gob of money on sprockets," I'm not directing the quote to you, I'm just "hollering at the TV screen," and speaking to any and all pilgrims that read these posts. You can start out in this building stuff and take only one wrong turn and have it costing you 100 bucks here and there on parts you can't return. In doing so, a person is building himself into an eventual swap meet vendor. About 5 years of purchase mistakes will qualify you as a fully stock vendor of mistakes. Building motorcycles is serious business. Alot of time you'll never get back, and alot of clutter of no-good-to-you-parts. Been there done that, been there done that, just like "groundhog day."
The first purchases a pilgirm must make is all the service and parts manuals for your machine. #1 priority, then you can speak the language of Harley-Davidson. Without the part numbers, you don't know what you have. This building is a 30K investment on the painful installment plan. Are you in or out?
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Plumber -

How right you are about building yourself up to a swapmeet vendor. I'm a living testimony to that. Some of the very reasons I have some of these sprockets on hand. And, they've been around for a long time. Hope some of the 'newbies' reading these posts can learn from our trials and mistakes. Nothing wrong with having your own stash of parts. But, maybe the stash can be purchased on purpose. And, not as a 'maybe it'll work' part.

Jack
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Another great thing about having all these extra parts kicking around is being able to give away stuff to friends in need. Goes a long way, and makes me feel good. Karma, I think.
Chew.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Good point. Trade considerations are always good for both parties. Give aways special. I think I can remember every part I have been given and by whom it was given.

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”